Increase Draw Distance
Is it possible for me to increase the draw distance in a few games?

For those who don't know what draw distance is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_distance

Sponsored links

Unless there is a setting in game (which most console games do NOT have) to increase the draw distance, it is highly unlikely, as this kind of thing is usually hard coded into the game. The only way I could think of would be to hack the memory address that stores the draw distance, but don't look at me for that!
AMD Phenom II 3.0 Ghz
Windows 7 Home Premium
Nvidia GeForce 560 Ti
4 GB DDR2
The game decides it im afraid, not us. Sorry
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(04-18-2013, 10:12 AM)refraction Wrote: The game decides it im afraid, not us. Sorry

Why is it so short in some PS2 games though? my only guess is because it is to make sure things don't lag.
Limitations with hardware or game engine usually.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
(04-18-2013, 10:27 AM)Dante3hs Wrote: Limitations with hardware or game engine usually.

Well I am not sure how good RenderWare was, but that is the engine the game ran on.
I only know the limits of a few engines, renderware isnt one of them unfortunately.

It could be that it can only draw at a certain distance, or they couldve made it that way due to limits with the ps2 hardware, or there could be a different reason all together. I dont know unfortunately.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
(04-18-2013, 10:37 AM)Dante3hs Wrote: I only know the limits of a few engines, renderware isnt one of them unfortunately.

It could be that it can only draw at a certain distance, or they couldve made it that way due to limits with the ps2 hardware, or there could be a different reason all together. I dont know unfortunately.

It's alright. From the looks of it RenderWare appears to be dead now (could be wrong about that though).
(04-18-2013, 10:17 AM)Scootaloo Wrote: Why is it so short in some PS2 games though? my only guess is because it is to make sure things don't lag.

It really depends on how many textures and polygons are on the screen. Remember the ps2 only has 4mb of video memory to work with. It has to do a lot of texture swapping to populate the screen each frame. It only does as well as it does because it has like 20 or so gb/sec transfer speeds.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

If you force a higher draw distance on a real PS2, the EE/VU will not be able to keep up with the extra geometry and FPS will reduce.
Also the GS can run into its own limits, usually pixel throughput.
If we did the same on PCSX2 it could work though, given a sufficiently fast host machine.
Our GS has no real timing so it's more or less infinitely fast and we can tweak the EE/VU timing to match.
The problem that remains is to find the code in each game that sets the draw distance, which is pretty difficult Wink