Increase Draw Distance
how about visually faking it in gsdx. an additive stretched or lens projection to make it look farther away. one can also square the fog values to a curve that moves the near fog farther.

just an idea. Laugh

Sponsored links

(04-18-2013, 12:15 PM)rama Wrote: The problem that remains is to find the code in each game that sets the draw distance, which is pretty difficult Wink

I'm not sure if I'm just grasping at straws here, but aren't they doing something similar with widescreen hacks? Or are my comparing apples to oranges?

I know it would take a lot of work, but if I wanted to how would I go about out finding the value?

(04-18-2013, 01:21 PM)xstyla Wrote: how about visually faking it in gsdx. an additive stretched or lens projection to make it look farther away. one can also square the fog values to a curve that moves the near fog farther.

Thanks, but how do I do that within gsdx?
I think you can use a Hex editor then work by elimination, or something of that nature. See you in a few years Laugh
<REDACTED>
(04-19-2013, 12:17 PM)Scootaloo Wrote: I'm not sure if I'm just grasping at straws here, but aren't they doing something similar with widescreen hacks? Or are my comparing apples to oranges?

not even just oranges, you're talking Apples to Wax fruit ;p

The aspect ratio is a fixed 2 values, to calculate draw distance a series of vector calculations have to be done on the VU with each vector calculated to see if it's in range. You can't really patch that as such ;p not unless you can find the VU program that generates it and work out how that program works then patch it.

again this will be different for every game and trying to figure out microprograms is a nightmare.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(04-19-2013, 07:54 PM)refraction Wrote: not even just oranges, you're talking Apples to Wax fruit ;p

The aspect ratio is a fixed 2 values, to calculate draw distance a series of vector calculations have to be done on the VU with each vector calculated to see if it's in range. You can't really patch that as such ;p not unless you can find the VU program that generates it and work out how that program works then patch it.

again this will be different for every game and trying to figure out microprograms is a nightmare.

lol that's why I typed as if I was walking on broken glass.
Depending on the technique, you may be able to skip drawing the fog entirely... The only problem being that the fog is there to cover up the lack things being there. How the game handles it, you may just get character "jump in" or there may not even be any ground geometry or anything else. Obviously not the ideal solution and definitely not as sophisticated or useful as completely rewriting it's draw distance code... but on some games it might produce satisfactory results (again if you don't mind pop-in).
[Image: 2748844.png]