Increasing frame rate without game speed?
If one has a monitor that is 120hz, and wants to have their game run at 120 fps, without having it go at double speed, what would one have to do?

Sponsored links

nothing.
you can't. That's not how a PS2 works.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I seem to have found something of an answer on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXnAWF75f...vm2Xhh6_sQ
I have to say this looks awesome and I wish more people were doing stuff like this, and making codes for higher frame rates, as for your answer jesalvein thank you for your time
Forgot about this one.
But yes, this is not something you can change by adjusting settings.
You need to "hack" the game itself. I'd say this can be (theorically) with games that have been slowed down to match PAL framerate.
But since the ps2 synchonizes its gameplay speed with framerate, i let you imagine the results...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Everything would out of sync
Im sorry i often misstype because im using cellphone...Y( '',)Y
Isn't there some sort of technology that would allow us to add some sort of motion interpolation to any program including games? I mean, if it can be done for movies, why not games?
Not possible this is how the ps2 works there for this is how the emulator works. And I highly doubt they gona rework the emulator just to appease the minority Which from my understand isnt really possible short of hacking the game
(10-15-2013, 12:55 AM)Isamu Wrote: Isn't there some sort of technology that would allow us to add some sort of motion interpolation to any program including games? I mean, if it can be done for movies, why not games?

In theory it could be done. You could cause the emu to render at 120 FPS for instance, while the game itself ran at normal speed. HOWEVER, you would have to create the 60 extra frames. You could do this by simply rendering each frame twice, but that wouldn't gain you anything because that is what would happen on a 120hz monitor anyway. Each frame gets displayed for 2 cycles(hz).

You could create some manner of interpolation, but that really wouldn't improve anything all that much. Interpolation is just that. It doesn't add any new data. So it might look somewhat better, or it might look worse, who is to say.

About the only way I know would be a hack that caused the game to run at double speed, but caused certain things to run half as fast(half of double is normal).

For instance, I was taught this on a programming forum. My RPG is frame limited. My character can move x distance per frame, and it's limited to 60fps. If I doubled that to 120fps, and then halved the distance she could move per frame, that would accomplish what you are talking about.

PC games are often not timed based on frames. For instance, it might be that a character can move x steps per second. Which means at 10, 100, or 1000 fps it's the same distance.

IDK if PS2 games are programmed based on frame or time, but since we are emulating that makes it more complicated too. There already has to be good sync between the subsystems of the emulator, and I'm not sure it is possible to just sort of single out the graphics subsystem and double that, while keeping the logic and everything else the same. And to compound it worse, since PCSX2 is multithreaded, you run the risk of encountering race conditions. For instance if you doubled the GS speed, this could change the order that things are happening in. For instance if the GS needs data from the EE, and the EE hasn't finished yet because the GS is running faster than it would normally be, the EE at best has to wait, and at worst might panic.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Well the way I found was exactly what I was looking for, only problem is I can only find it for kingdom hearts 2 final mix and for the ppsspp KHBBS it renders an extra frame between frames like the opposite of frame skipping or like for frames rendered what raising the internal resolution is for resolution
There's a bit of misinformation going around in this thread.
The method used for Kingdom Hearts 2 would work in many games.

It would force the game to use more processing resources from the emulated PS2 to
generate double the framerate it would normally do.
We cannot do this automatically for all games, instead each game will have to be patched by
someone who knows what they're doing. It's a bit like the wide screen patching really.

One other method would be for games that are already able to go up to 60FPS, such as Shadow
of the Colossus. For these titles we could overclock the processors in PCSX2, requiring a lot
more CPU power from the host machine but yea, it would automatically make them run at 60 frames per sec.