Input lag
Don't know if this will help but the input lag goes away totally when using a 60fps patch for the game. However my system isn't powerful enough to run it with the patch at certain parts in the game(s) (that I HAVE to use Software mode for) but when it is running full 60 at full speed the movement is extremely fluid feels perfect. Of course, not every game has a 60fps patch and some of them that do have issues with them. Not sure if maybe there could be a way to port this directly to PCSX2 but without having to use the 60fps patch for said game(s).
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (Overclocked to 4.6GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
GPU: x2, ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP! Extreme (SLI)
RAM: 16 GB
HD: x1, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, x1, 2TB SSHD, x1, 4TB Seagate Backup Plus, x1, 1TB Seagate External
OS: Windows 10 64-bit (Upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit)

Sponsored links

(06-02-2020, 02:37 AM)sandman332 Wrote: Don't know if this will help but the input lag goes away totally when using a 60fps patch for the game.  However my system isn't powerful enough to run it with the patch at certain parts in the game(s) (that I HAVE to use Software mode for) but when it is running full 60 at full speed the movement is extremely fluid feels perfect.  Of course, not every game has a 60fps patch and some of them that do have issues with them.  Not sure if maybe there could be a way to port this directly to PCSX2 but without having to use the 60fps patch for said game(s).
 Yes i tried that too and was much much better, something make me think the issue is related to the frame rate ingame, when turning OFF the frame limiter controls are perfect, obviusly playing a game x5 the default speed is impossible sadly
I have the same issue, and it's very frustrating: games render beautifully at full speed, but input lag makes them unplayable.

I have vague memories of no input lag when I had an AMD/ATI graphic card (which on the other side wasn't powerful enough to render games at full speed). Now I have an NVIDIA GTX 1080 and lag is here.

I wonder if the problem is with the graphic card? What graphic cards you guys have?

EDIT: by the way the lag is more noticeable on some games, less on others. 30fps games seem the most affected, while in 60fps it's somehow barely noticeable. For example, The Warriors is very lagged, while Manhunt (with the 60fps patch) is quite ok. R-Type Final has a slight lag, Urban Reign almost none.
It would make sense that the input lag goes away when not running full speed. Our current assumption is that frame pacing is off or the ring buffer for MTGS is doing weird things. In other words, our thought is that MTGS gets stuck slightly behind the EE thread and everything else, giving the effect of input lag; that is, everything is still running real-time, just the video output is delayed ever so slightly. We still don't have any proof, but this seems to be the strongest theory as of now.
(06-09-2020, 06:17 PM)pandubz Wrote: It would make sense that the input lag goes away when not running full speed. Our current assumption is that frame pacing is off or the ring buffer for MTGS is doing weird things. In other words, our thought is that MTGS gets stuck slightly behind the EE thread and everything else, giving the effect of input lag; that is, everything is still running real-time, just the video output is delayed ever so slightly. We still don't have any proof, but this seems to be the strongest theory as of now.

Is there some test I can do with the settings to see if lag gets better or worse? By the way my suspicion is that it is tied to the frames, ie after the input is registered by the emulator, it gets "applied" 2-3 frames after, so that's why the lag is worse when the framerate is lower. Just an idea from a non-technical perspective though!

Thanks for your work!
I can confirm after 2 entire weeks of testing that you can obtain the lowest amount of input lag by using every common tweak known ( vsync off, low latency mode on NCP etc.) plus the use of 60fps patches for games. I don't know if this can be considered only a work around and there could be much more improvements but it seems to be the most efficient way to fix the issue for now.
Have you ever run a real ps2 via RGB scart on a modern TV? The input lag is also there, because the TV has to do the deinterlacing and the scaling of the picture. It's getting a little better if you use good hardware scalers, but the lag will never be zero.

Timing critical games, like Hot Shots Golf, are unplayable with a real PS2 on modern TV's because of the unavoidable 5 - 6 frames input lag.

On my Bang & Olufsen MX8000 tube TV, which can perfectly handle 15 kHz interlaced material, I have 0 - 1 frames of input lag, depending on how the game handles the sync.

Both measured with LED on controller and 240 FPS camera.

The only thing you can do for emulation on a modern display or TV, it to use progressive scan modes and fast Vsync modes in your graphics driver. Without Vsync you'll get stuttering which makes timing critical games even worse. But it will never get as good as on a real tube TV, which has zero input lag.
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go