Input lag in PCSX2
(07-09-2018, 06:42 PM)vsub Wrote: Um pressing is so fast could also mean that there is no contact done(not enough presure for the controller\keyboard to register button press)

Well when you see a missed input it's often that the emulator is not catching it. I had PCSX2 running side by side (they don't need focus to capture button pressed) and occasionally one would miss the input that the other would catch and vice versa. I assume this is just because instead of setting states or triggering events, the loop checks the buttons states on tick, so if you were to press and depress the button between two ticks it wouldn't register.

But anyway this is probably another discussion since this is expected behavior and making sure to press the button more than 16ms makes sure this doesn't happen. When the button press is registered though you can clearly see the delay.

https://gfycat.com/ThornyGleefulBushbaby (0.25x speed)

Sponsored links

I don't know,at least here(I tried again)no matter how many times I try with my gamepad(with the keyboard is even easier because the keys have short travel time(I often press the wrong key because of that Tongue2 ),in the program it is immediately registered.
Controller latency is an interesting subject especially so with emulation with solutions like run ahead and gpu sync in RetroArch one would wonder, "Huh why doesn't every emulation do this?" One of the challenges that pcsx2 faces is that "input" happens on a separate cpu IOP that's supposed to run in sync with the main cpu EE if there's a desync theirs lag unfortunately currently there's bullet proof way to ensure a perfect sync with commands traveling to EE and the other various parts as quickly as they need to.
(07-09-2018, 11:37 PM)weirdbeardgame Wrote: Controller latency is an interesting subject especially so with emulation with solutions like run ahead and gpu sync in RetroArch one would wonder, "Huh why doesn't every emulation do this?" One of the challenges that pcsx2 faces is that "input" happens on a separate cpu IOP that's supposed to run in sync with the main cpu EE if there's a desync theirs lag unfortunately currently there's bullet proof way to ensure a perfect sync with commands traveling to EE and the other various parts as quickly as they need to.

I understand that solutions like run ahead would be tricky to implement (even if the PS2 didn't have input polling running asynchronously) but what really confuses me is how the problems fixed by that or gpu sync can account for a delay that high, I'd think at worst those would incur a single frame delay. I understand that because of all the hoops that emulation has to go through for all the issues with controller polling, audio mixing and video output, some amount of delay is to be expected, but I'm still left with a really high delay that I don't think can be explained by those lower level limitations.

I made more attempts, testing out a lot of different parameters, and the best I could get consistently when running at 100% speed was 6-7 frames of delay, so 100-116ms. I can ping a server on the other side of the Atlantic in less time than it takes for my input to affect my screen.

When running unlimited and reaching 300 to 400% speed the lowest I was able to achieve consistently was 67ms of input lag. That's already much better, but unfortunately that is only achieved on the controller debugger and of course I can't play games in 4x speed.
(07-09-2018, 06:25 PM)cafe Wrote: I want to believe that I'm the only one with that problem, but this seems to be a recurrent issue and I've witnessed way too many people struggle with extreme input lag on high latency TVs with more than a second of delay without realizing anything was wrong, while I'm sitting besides them and going insane. This isn't quite as bad clearly, but to me it still makes playing God Hand impossible at the moment...

You're not the only person with the issue. In some games it's possible to anticipate and train yourself to think ahead of the lag. For an example, I've played more Fire Pro Wrestling Returns in PCSX2 than on real hardware. When Fire Pro World was launched on Steam I was constantly screwing up the timing of moves because I'd got so used to pressing early in PCSX2 to counter the lag. Having to act ahead isn't ideal though, the controls still feel "heavy", and it's not really possible in competitive play.

Currently I'm using the low latency VSync options in the current beta of RTSS which seems to reduce the lag. There's still some there though.
With raw input the input lag is lower?
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go