InputMapper - Now supporting more devices and plugins.
(10-23-2014, 03:56 PM)Star Wrote: Thanks for the reply, glad to see the new crash fix in there ^^ Still would like to see an optional games DB option though. Not everyone likes to send their gaming activity to some arbitrary server. (Though I'm sure they have a good privacy policy, you never know)

Git is a really nice tool, i'm sure you could use different branches for your other machines and even create backup branches in case you push/pull something bad to master. It's very efficient with disk space if you have multiple test copies for example, since branches only contain the changes from master. Learning curve is not too bad with git, but I've made the same mistakes myself. I recommend manual merge though if it's not merging properly. The investment in time learning Git actually should increase your productivity even if you're just using it locally. There's many other git hosts other than github and you could even host your own git repository on your website, there's more than a few open source projects to host your own. Like here for example: http://repo.or.cz/w/tomato.git uses http://git-scm.com

Edit: more stuff above git above.

You're not sending you gaming info though, its just a query, additionally there is no way to tie the query to you as a person because it not like you are filling in any personal info. Compared to services like Steam that do actually datamine and collect demographics, there is nothing going on like that with them. If you really are worried about them though you can create a firewall rule to block that site, but future feature such as cloud and community based profiles will not be available to you.

We as a company already use TFS, has always worked and I'm happy with it, not to mention it is a Microsoft service so I can always give them a call if I need them.
[Image: LogoBusiness3.png]
IM 2 Beta now supporting plugins and even more devices.

Website | Forum | Donate $2 and remove ads from the tool

Sponsored links

(10-23-2014, 04:16 PM)jhebbel Wrote: We as a company already use TFS, has always worked and I'm happy with it, not to mention it is a Microsoft service so I can always give them a call if I need them.

AFAIK TFS can use either SVN or git backend (and possibly push a branch containing the open-source stuff up to github?) interesting git-tfs project here: https://github.com/git-tfs/git-tfs but no worries if you're satisfied with your current project management system.

btw, with every auto-update of DS4Windows my pinned taskbar icon breaks. Any idea what causes this?
Rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K (4.6GHz) + Swiftech H240-X Liquid Cooler
Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN X
RAM: 32GB 2400MHz G.Skill TridentX
Monitor: QNIX 27" 1440p @ 96Hz
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70
Mouse: Logitech G700
Storage: 128GB SSD (Samsung 830) | 2TB Raid0 | 1.5TB
Gamepad: Sony Dualshock 4 + Asus BT211
(10-23-2014, 04:58 PM)Star Wrote: AFAIK TFS can use either SVN or git backend. but no worries if you're satisfied with your current project management system.

btw, with every auto-update of DS4Windows my pinned taskbar icon breaks. Any idea what causes this?

The installer is not capable of calling our cleanup method for a clean exit, it just quits the app, so that is one of the side effects. Since the installer is unmanaged code there isn't much we can do about it either.

(10-23-2014, 03:56 PM)Star Wrote: Thanks for the reply, glad to see the new crash fix in there ^^ Still would like to see an optional games DB option though. Not everyone likes to send their gaming activity to some arbitrary server. (Though I'm sure they have a good privacy policy, you never know)

Git is a really nice tool, i'm sure you could use different branches for your other machines and even create backup branches in case you push/pull something bad to master. It's very efficient with disk space if you have multiple test copies for example, since branches only contain the changes from master. Learning curve is not too bad with git, but I've made the same mistakes myself. I recommend manual merge though if it's not merging properly. The investment in time learning Git actually should increase your productivity even if you're just using it locally. There's many other git hosts other than github and you could even host your own git repository on your website, there's more than a few open source projects to host your own. Like here for example: http://repo.or.cz/w/tomato.git and some reading material: http://git-scm.com

Edit: more stuff above git above.

GIT is actually awesome. I have used SVN for a while but now with GIT I have no conflicts anymore. However, I do think GIT's learning curve is pretty steep. There are still stuff I am struggling to do, like merging (squashing) commits. We were all lost at work when we migrated from SVN to GIT. It was truly a real mess ahah Laugh As for TFS, I can confirm that it works well with GIT too: but TFS itself... meh Tongue

Even at home I am using a local GIT as this is so much better to document your commit and track your progression, have a backup, and it'ss just very handy when you wanna revert some changes. I use GitExtension for that.

The whole linux core is managed through GIT. You can have many branches, merge them, and it's so much more flexible than SVN. There are also branches "patterns" you can do, like many dev branches each working on a feature (like a TFS feat), a QA branch that merges all the previous ones, a release branch once it has passed the QA, etc. Very powerful stuff. It is also impossible to loose your data once it's been pushed.
(10-23-2014, 06:16 PM)RedShadow Wrote: GIT is actually awesome. I have used SVN for a while but now with GIT I have no conflicts anymore. However, I do think GIT's learning curve is pretty steep. There are still stuff I am struggling to do, like merging (squashing) commits. We were all lost at work when we migrated from SVN to GIT. It was truly a real mess ahah Laugh As for TFS, I can confirm that it works well with GIT too: but TFS itself... meh Tongue

Even at home I am using a local GIT as this is so much better to document your commit and track your progression, have a backup, and it'ss just very handy when you wanna revert some changes. I use GitExtension for that.

The whole linux core is managed through GIT. You can have many branches, merge them, and it's so much more flexible than SVN. There are also branches "patterns" you can do, like many dev branches each working on a feature (like a TFS feat), a QA branch that merges all the previous ones, a release branch once it has passed the QA, etc. Very powerful stuff. It is also impossible to loose your data once it's been pushed.

Im probably just a little prejudiced against it lol, the early stages of this fork were handled through Google code and GIT and I lost several days of work on several occasions; there are a few pages of my rants in the InhexSteer thread about my GIT woes lol.

Bug 
(10-23-2014, 03:24 PM)Star Wrote: Feature request: an option to disable online game DB's and detection of currently active window might be nice for those of us that don't use game-specific profiles or prefer to switch profiles manually, or only have one profile. From what I saw in debug it launches a new thread for every active application change, then exits the thread. Might reduce CPU load a tiny bit and give users some extra privacy. It's a convenient feature for automatic profile switching of course. Macros are probably top priority at this point though ^^
(10-23-2014, 03:47 PM)jhebbel Wrote: It actually wouldn't change CPU usage at all as app switching is just hooking a windows event, one that runs anyway regardless of if its hooked or not. I can disable log trace messages though if no controllers use Auto profile to keep the log from bloating for no reason. The threads are normal, this app is developed to use multi threads to increase performance.

I would like to +1 this request in a sense. Not from a CPU perspective but from a network perspective.

Over 650 API requests in the space of an hour is pretty aggressive and that's just my single PC and the majority of that time i was in a single browser window writing this post.

Here is a log from your app filtered specifically to the API request warnings.

Pastebin Smile

I would seriously take a good look at your DS4Control.GameLookupAPI.SearchForGame function.

You could code a delay that limits the duration between requests (nobody should be playing a game for less than a minute at a time etc.)

I know games detection is difficult and your code looks like you have put in a reasonable amount of work on it. But your code just spams out requests and then attempts to weed out false positives in a pretty fuzzy way.

I would personally scrap that whole mess of code and just let people add a game by process name. No need to spam API servers.

Your making quite the considerable amount of profit considering your code is essentially coordinating a DDOS attack against CloudFlares servers and breaching user privacy by broadcasting their window title strings over non-encrypted public connections.
(I wonder how many users would have donated if they knew your app was leaking out potentially personal information such as E-mail addresses?)

This post was not meant to offend or attack, merely educate you and your users in order to help get my point across that something should be changed about this.

I just thought as a fellow coder it is much nicer of me to show you first, before i get annoyed with it enough to start coding a much cleaner version which would then probably end up in direct competition with your app (i would rather not have the internet saturated with over 15 - 20 different DS4 apps that all do the same thing. its bad enough having 3-4)

Other than that bugged out and terribly implemented feature and the horribly ugly UI, Good Job on the app some nice well thought out features in there. Smile

Feel free to pm me if you would like to chat or would like any help with coding.
(10-23-2014, 09:53 PM)OllieD Wrote: I would like to +1 this request in a sense. Not from a CPU perspective but from a network perspective.

Over 650 API requests in the space of an hour is pretty aggressive and that's just my single PC and the majority of that time i was in a single browser window writing this post.

Here is a log from your app filtered specifically to the API request warnings.

Pastebin Smile

I would seriously take a good look at your DS4Control.GameLookupAPI.SearchForGame function.

You could code a delay that limits the duration between requests (nobody should be playing a game for less than a minute at a time etc.)

I know games detection is difficult and your code looks like you have put in a reasonable amount of work on it. But your code just spams out requests and then attempts to weed out false positives in a pretty fuzzy way.

I would personally scrap that whole mess of code and just let people add a game by process name. No need to spam API servers.

Your making quite the considerable amount of profit considering your code is essentially coordinating a DDOS attack against CloudFlares servers and breaching user privacy by broadcasting their window title strings over non-encrypted public connections.
(I wonder how many users would have donated if they knew your app was leaking out potentially personal information such as E-mail addresses?)

This post was not meant to offend or attack, merely educate you and your users in order to help get my point across that something should be changed about this.

I just thought as a fellow coder it is much nicer of me to show you first, before i get annoyed with it enough to start coding a much cleaner version which would then probably end up in direct competition with your app (i would rather not have the internet saturated with over 15 - 20 different DS4 apps that all do the same thing. its bad enough having 3-4)

Other than that bugged out and terribly implemented feature and the horribly ugly UI, Good Job on the app some nice well thought out features in there. Smile

Feel free to pm me if you would like to chat or would like any help with coding.

A lot of incorrect information here, Ill try to hit on all of the issues

1) Window detection is already done by process name (parent executable name to be exact), the API is only to see if it is a game or not to be used in the future for when I set it up for users to be able to contribute profiles for specific games into a community, to keep the community from flooding with non relevant profiles.

2) Nothing is spammed, its just an API call, thats what web APIs are for, millions of applications use constant queries to operate, its pretty much industry norm. But content is also cached locally to cut down on API calls, but when the API is down and cannot be reached the content does not get a chance to cache and hence the numerous error log messages.

3) the requests are very small in size and not outside the acceptable levels set forth for CloudFlare, therefore to call it a DDoS attack against CF is just absurd, using CDNs for requests like this are exactly what CF is for

4) At no time is user account information leaked or sent over an unsecure connection, the pipeline for account login and verification is done over HTTPS

5) The UI is about as configurable to the EU as I can make it, I keep making changes for some people and pissing off others in the process so I am literally over listening to issues over the UI, with the thousands of users using it the half a dozen or so complaints are within tolerances for me.

Played around with DS3 some, looks like at least USB will be easy enough to set up once I get the report format figured out. Also I may have coincidentally found a way to make the toshiba BT stack compatible with the app.

jhebbel, you sir, are awesome! Thank you for adding the two finger scrolling support as well as the re-add of macro support! I'm so excited to start playing with the macros. Especially after seeing that macro for the tilt battery check. Totally genius! I can't wait to try it out.

Would it be possible to add a two-finger tap with its own touch sensitivity option for right-clicking? I'm used to being able to right-click things on a touch pad with a tap-like pressure rather than a full click.

Edit: I'm also hoping you get the DS3 working as well! I have a couple of those lying around and would love to be able to use them with your tool.
So I had been using the XInput wrapper. I tried to use it today, and it seems as though it is no longer working with bluetooth. I did the new installs, and still won't work via bluetooth. I recently got rid of my MX550 keyboard/mouse along with their dongle. not sure if this is the problem, but the DS4 pairs fine, but it doesn't recognize it as a controller. Anything I'm missing?