Installed v1.6 did I lose v1.4 memory card?
I  searched through several threads and guides and while I'm sure the answer is already here, I didn't find it.

So, I installed version 1.6 and I didn't fully appreciate that it was going to completely replace 1.4. Did I lose my memory card from 1.4 or is there a way to recover it?

Sponsored links

Depends.
Did you use installer versions ? Binary versions ? Both ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
1.4.0 stores the saves and settings in Documents\PCSX2 1.4.0 while 1.6.0 stores them in Documents\PCSX2 so when you run 1.6.0 you may not find your saves but they are still there in Documents\PCSX2 1.4.0
You just have to either rename that folder or copy\move the subfolders to the new location

No matter what you do,pcsx2 will never delete your saves and settings even if you uninstall it or just install the latest version over the old one
I think I must be missing something.

In Documents I only have folders named PCSX2 and PCSX2_backup, both of them have a folder named memcards and those are both unformatted cards.
If I search for 'ps2' on my computer, it only finds these same 4 files. I'm using Windows 10 which I'm pretty unfamiliar with as I haven't used this computer much.

Is there another place that I should look for these files? The .ps2 is the memory card extension right?
Can you please answer what I asked ?
(05-30-2020, 12:24 AM)vsub Wrote: 1.4.0 stores the saves and settings in Documents\PCSX2 1.4.0 while 1.6.0 stores them in Documents\PCSX2 so when you run 1.6.0 you may not find your saves but they are still there in Documents\PCSX2 1.4.0
You just have to either rename that folder or copy\move the subfolders to the new location

No matter what you do,pcsx2 will never delete your saves and settings even if you uninstall it or just install the latest version over the old one

Not quite now it works with the new installer. The old folder is deleted and copied as PCSX2_backup, all the memcards the user needs will be in there.

Quote:I think I must be missing something.

In Documents I only have folders named PCSX2 and PCSX2_backup, both of them have a folder named memcards and those are both unformatted cards.
If I search for 'ps2' on my computer, it only finds these same 4 files. I'm using Windows 10 which I'm pretty unfamiliar with as I haven't used this computer much.

Is there another place that I should look for these files? The .ps2 is the memory card extension right?

If the old cards are unformatted as well, it sounds like you were using savestates to me. That backup folder contains your original memory cards from 1.4.0.
(05-29-2020, 09:55 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Depends.
Did you use installer versions ? Binary versions ? Both ?

I used the standalone Windows installer for both. I think I installed 1.4 about 2 years ago.
Alright. So, everything should be in documents, unless :
- You had created a portable.INI file in your old pcsx2 1.4 folder
- you changed your windows user profile

In that second case, when you search on your whole computer for.ps2 files (won't work if you used the memcard folder format, BTW...), are you doing it as admin ?
(05-30-2020, 08:27 AM)CK1 Wrote: If the old cards are unformatted as well, it sounds like you were using savestates to me. That backup folder contains your original memory cards from 1.4.0.

If I load them into the memory card manager it shows Formatted: No for the memory cards in both the PCSX2 and PCSX2_backup folders.

I haven't used saved states before that I know of, just the normal saving through the game. The sstates folders are both empty.

I see the folder called inis_1.4.0 but it seems that it only contains configuration settings?
(05-30-2020, 10:28 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Alright. So, everything should be in documents, unless :
- You had created a portable.INI file in your old pcsx2 1.4 folder
- you changed your windows user profile

In that second case, when you search on your whole computer for.ps2 files (won't work if you used the memcard folder format, BTW...), are you doing it as admin ?

I'm not competent enough to create a portable.INI file unless it is something that I could have done by accident.

This computer isn't used much so there's not a lot on it and there's just the one windows profile.

I really appreciate all of your help! I feel like I must have screwed something up since it seems like there aren't many places that it could be hiding on this computer.