Intel i7 extreme processors any better for pcsx2?
Those 3970x extreme processors are so expensive. Are they that much better than the Haswell 4770k processors? Would the extreme be better for pcsx2?

Sponsored links

I dont know is a hexa core is supported well or not :/, i dont think so 4770k would give better in pcsx2 because its the most powerful quad core, Pcsx2 supports dual and quad core very well.
Extra thread is just for software rendering only, i guess
Im sorry i often misstype because im using cellphone...Y( '',)Y
There's no advantage to having one of the Extreme-series processors for PCSX2. You could only use the extra threads in software mode, and using a lot of threads gives you diminishing returns, sometimes even creating emulation errors. In hardware mode, PCSX2 will use a maximum of three threads, so even then, the Haswell 4770k would be better because it shows a big jump in PCSX2 performance over Ivy Bridge.
(08-12-2013, 06:42 AM)Feckamechahi Wrote: Those 3970x extreme processors are so expensive. Are they that much better than the Haswell 4770k processors? Would the extreme be better for pcsx2?

take a look here
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-47...e-i7-3970X

admittedly it can't tell you whether either of them could run pcsx2 but i'm sure the devs here could tell you Biggrin

tbh if you scroll down to the memory controller you'l see

Memory Controller

Intel Core i7 4770K: Channels Dual Channel: Maximum bandwidth 25,600 MB/s
Maximum memory size 32,768 MB

i7 3970X extreme: Channels Quad Channel: Maximum bandwidth 51,200 MB/s
Maximum memory size 65,536 MB

personally i'm planning on getting a Intel Core i7 3930K
half the price for a little bit less speed

only thing to consider is that until they bring out new mother boards (possibly in September) you'll have a sata 3 controller that isn't as good

but afaik that won't make much difference in either pcsx2 or on pc gaming
Not sure what graphics card you have, it's memory bandwidth,
it's temperature, fan speed, what pixel shader it has
try TechPowerUp's gpu-z

Not sure what your cpu is try cpu-z
       (hint click on the highlighted links Biggrin)
For pcsx2 purposes, here doesn't seem to be a major difference between extreme and non-extreme versions.

80.81 FPS - SLUS 20672 - Intel Core i7 980X - 4.4 GHz OC - Hambone07si (non-member in this forum)
78.82 FPS - SLUS 20672 - Intel Core i5 650 - 4.4 GHz OC - Kyo3000 - CPU-Z
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti