Invalid: [Bug Report] Guitar Hero 3 (NTSC-U) -Corrupt Graphics/Crashing [Gif Unit]
# PCSX2 Version: PCSX2 1.5.0-20160320170637 - compiled on Mar 20 2016

# Emulation Options: EmotionEngine=Recompiler , IOP=Recompiler , EE/FPU=Chop/Zero , Clamping Mode=Normal , VU0=MicroVU Recompiler , VU1=MicroVU Recompiler , VU0 / VU1 Advanced Recompiler Options=Chop/Zero , Clamping Mode=Normal
#Plugins Used:
  • GSdx 20160320170637 (Tried OGL HW/SW, DX11 HW/SW) Native Res, speedhacks/MTVU disabled
  • LilyPad20160320170637
  • SPU2-X 20160320170637
  • Linuz Iso CDVD 0.9.0 (tried ISO and Plugin)
  • USBnull Driver 20160320170637
  • FWnull Driver 20160320170637
  • DEV9null Driver 20160320170637
Emu Log: http://pastebin.com/jBWVwHMn

GSDump/SaveState/Images
*I did try changing VU Rounding to Nearest (like we just added for THPS) but the game would still crash Sad

# Description of bug and of how to replicate it:

Guitar Hero 3 will randomly crash after beginning a song. There are also graphical anomalies in both HW and SW mode which can prevent progress as notes will dissapear, ect..

• After getting past the intro videos and the autosave screen appears; the console will begin to to spam
    Code:
    Gif Unit - GS packet size exceeded VU memory size!

• I also spotted this a few times
    Code:
    microVU1: BAL in IBNE delay slot! [3088]  - If game broken report to PCSX2 Team

Going further through the UI; there are no problems except for a few graphical artifacts in the character selection. After selecting a song you will see various anomalies in both render modes until the game slows down for a few seconds and crashes.

• The console produces this before crashing
    Code:
    Gif Unit - Signal or PSE Set or Dir = GS to EE

Sponsored links

does it crash in the 1.4.0 stable?
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(03-22-2016, 06:44 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: does it crash in the 1.4.0 stable?
Not sure about the crashing; but the forums say the texture issue have always been present - the only proposed solution was using Skipdraw 2 or higher. I'll test in 1.4.0 later.

This game was also the first in the series developed by Neversoft with an new engine from scratch - so you won't see related issues in previous games.
Had you set your VU round mode to nearest?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(03-22-2016, 10:58 PM)refraction Wrote: Had you set your VU round mode to nearest?

Yes I tried that as well. Positive or negative rounding can't be used as there is black screen after intro FMV's.

I just tested this on 1.4.0 stable and it crashes exactly the same. Nearest rounding on stable doesn't crash, but the GS window stops rendering and becomes unresponsive.
are you using any other speedhacks/game fixes?

(03-22-2016, 11:55 PM)refraction Wrote: are you using any other speedhacks/game fixes?

No I disabled all of that before I started testing and encountered no difference
Just to check, when you changed the round mode, the spam in the console should have stopped (the Gif Unit - GS packet size exceeded VU memory size! stuff) and you didn't load from a savestate right?

Can you give me an emulog from after that change?

Just to reiterate, that change is needed as it uses the same engine as Tony Hawk

Ah I see what happened. I forgot to reset the EE clamping back to Normal. Tongue

The console doesn't spam anymore and no more crashing. The graphics are still messed up however

Here's a new emulog after playing through an entire song and writing to the mem card: http://pastebin.com/zY3MxZZE
Yeh the graphics are known to be broken in hw mode, you need to use software mode.