Is Intel still the prefered CPU of choice for pcsx2
I know that AMD has made a major come-back with the release of the new Ryzen 7, which has superior multi-threaded performance than the curremt i7.  On the other hand, the i7 is still faster in single-threaded performance.  I was wondering if I were to use software rendering with 5 rendering threads, would the i7 still be faster than the Ryzen 7.

Sponsored links

The objective truth is that to this day Intel is still the leader in single thread ratings, which is what matters the most for PCSX2. That said, AMD is becoming extremely competitive now, and while single thread ratings aren't quite up to Intel's level, the right AMD CPU will handle PCSX2 just as well as the right Intel CPU. A little compare and contrast on cpubenchmark.net and you'll be able to see which CPUs are cheaper and which are more capable.

TL;DR While Intel scores the highest points, both offer capable products, so don't dismiss AMD just cause Intel happens to have the highest rating.
(12-11-2018, 08:06 PM)Dr_Hycodan Wrote: I know that AMD has made a major come-back with the release of the new Ryzen 7, which has superior multi-threaded performance than the curremt i7.  On the other hand, the i7 is still faster in single-threaded performance.  I was wondering if I were to use software rendering with 5 rendering threads, would the i7 still be faster than the Ryzen 7.

Yes, Intel still dominates single thread and its still not even close. if you look at this list https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html The first AMD you see is very far down on the list. There are 4 year old Intels that are still faster than AMD's fastest. So for software mode and 5 threads, a current i7 will destroy whatever AMD has to offer right now in performance in pcsx2.
It all depends which games you plan to play though, if you plan to play the lighter games you can go easily with an AMD CPU. The heavier ones like for example Zone of the Enders 2 an Intel is recommended.
awesome great to know I made the right choice with the 9700k. This CPU is literally an emulation beast. Only games I even need to use hardware mode are MGS3 and ZoE2. This CPU demolishes every game Ive tried in software mode with 5 sw threads.
There is no wrong choice really, it all depends how deep your wallet is, for me my Ryzen 5 is fast enough for the price I paid.
(12-11-2018, 10:51 PM)wheninrome Wrote: Yes, Intel still dominates single thread and its still not even close. if you look at this list https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html The first AMD you see is very far down on the list. There are 4 year old Intels that are still faster than AMD's fastest. So for software mode and 5 threads, a current i7 will destroy whatever AMD has to offer right now in performance in pcsx2.

This is absurd hyperbole. Most of those benches are synthetic and don't translate to actual apps. Ryzen is very close to Intel performance when it comes to STP in many contemporary apps, including gaming, as you can see from the many reviews out there today. And saying 4 year Intels are still faster doesn't really mean much when they haven't even had an actual noticeable boost in their STP in ages due to their constant issues with their process nodes lol.