Is Nvidia still better for pcsx2
(03-22-2012, 07:58 AM)Rezard Wrote: I Don't get it.

You have a PS2 BIOS, and Dragon Quest 8,
but you still didn't use these benchmarks. ;P

Your averages from that large selection of graphics units would be well appreciated. Smile

On the topic,
in all my time using, reading and discussing PCSX2,
I can tell you with certainty that emulation has had a tendancy to favor a GeForce unit.

What is probably the most important thing to consider,
is the fact that resource usage will vary with what game is at hand.
Some games will need a high/fast filerates,
and others will be using up large amounts of memory/bandwidth instead.

Expect to see many different stories when comparing different breeds of hardware,
among different breeds of games.

I wish I still had those cards, my issue for having them really comes down to ***** luck. All of my Geforce cards [that I listed] have died on me. The 480 lasted 3 months, the 570 was DoA after a day and the 580 died after 4 months. The 6950 that I had I traded with a friend for his 480..So that is what started the ball rolling with me getting Geforce cards, and ultimately having to trade them in [at a loss at times] for a replacement when they died.

I went with Geforce after my 6950 since I wanted the top end single GPU speed they had and I had good experiences with them in the past [6800 gt especially]. My friend just wanted a cool/quiet card...Which the stock 480 is anything but.

After my 580 died, I rma'd it and sold it and bought a 7970. This card im sure will last forever just as all of my AMD/ATI cards have [I have never had a AMD card die on me, yet a few older model Geforces have died on- Geforce 3, though the 6800Gt was good]. Each cause of death has come down to the VRM units exploding, and I never over volted the cards, the part/build quality is just better on AMD cards imo. Either that or my luck is horrible or somehow my system is Anti-Nvidia. Ill know in a few months if my 7970 is still alive and kicking regardless...

Anyways yea I did not realize there was a standard way to benchmark in Pcsx2, If I knew at the time I would have done it. But I can bench on my 7970 and see what I get.

Sponsored links

With the release of the new GTX 680, everyone should go out and buy two
of them and put them in SLI. They shouldn't have any problem running
Hardware mode of Pcsx2 in most if not all 'playable' games.

--

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130768

Sadly they're out of stock. New things don't stay in stock long, too many
enthusiasts these days.
SLI? for what?
(03-25-2012, 12:53 AM)naoan Wrote: SLI? for what?

I guess you didn't catch my sarcasm? Unless that's sarcasm... Very hard to
tell over the internet.
will the gtx 680 run @ full speed on software mode with i7 3930K
The graphics card doesnt have any say in the matter if you are using software mode, that is purely cpu based. But i imagine on that processor with 3 threads, it should be reasonably quick, not guarenteeing full speed tho Wink
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

but software mode will get better with the time

i thought it is gpu dependent not completly cpu dependent

thanks
Software rendering still runs a very light shader on the GPU.
Any GPU can do it at full speed though, even if it's weak and old.
(03-29-2012, 03:00 PM)rama Wrote: Software rendering still runs a very light shader on the GPU.
Any GPU can do it at full speed though, even if it's weak and old.

Rama, what does it take to utilize some graphical enhancements in software mode? I could never get things like AF and AA to work properly when running Ridge Racer V, preventing the game from even starting most of the time. When I can get Ridge Racer V to run using these enhancements, it ALWAYS runs slow and has graphical glitches.

However, this was about a year ago since trying software mode. Has things changed since them or is software mode still considered preliminary?
Software rendering has no enhancements except some post processing shaders (FXAA for example).
The renderer is considered complete, I think.
Speed will entirely depend on your CPU.