Is PCSX2 Software mode more accurate than PS3 emulating PS2?
Aside from PS3 rendering some PS2 games at lower FPS, visual accuracy in OPEN GL seems way more accurate to me?
Core i7 2700k 4.8ghz [] Coolermaster Seidon 240V [] 4x Coolermaster SickleFlow 120MM blue [] 12GB (4/8 Samsung 1600mhz DDR3 @ 1866mhz[] ASUS P8Z68-V
[] SoundBlaster Audigy FX [] Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury NITRO OC+ [] NZXT S340  [] SuperFlower Golden Green 550W 80 Plus Gold.

Sponsored links

It's hard to say since we don't have the source code for the PS3 SW emulator. OpenGL has nothing to do with the emulation, it's just a way of processing the 3D data to the screen.
Actually, there is 3 different PS2 emu in the PS3. the first only emulate the IOP and the CDVD unit (available on the very first PS3), the second also emulate the EmotionEngine, the VUs, DMAC and Rambus memory (the GS was already present at the time) and the very last emulate everything via software emulation (for PS2 classics on PS store). I assume you talked about the last one?
PS3 software emulation in theory is more accurate "as is". For example PS3 SPUs are also non IEEE 754 compliant, and calculations in 95% don't require clamping, or any correction. But for example COP2 rearranging patches are required to be applied also on PS2 for games like FF2, or AC series. It seems like sony did good job at GS emulation, but at the second hand software GS emulator can't proceed mipmaps. But sony still require fixes to make games compatible. Even CECH C/E consoles have built in ~750 configurations for games to improve compatibility on semiBC consoles including many graphical corrections.

PS. About PS2emu from CECH A/B consoles. Is basically full PS2 hardware, in latest ps2 consoles IOP was also emulated by PowerPC chip. So emulated is only CDVD, and SPU2. Also MG encryption is done by software emulation.
I ran Persona 3 FES bought from the PlayStation Store on my PS3 and didn't notice any major frame drops. Unlike PCSX2 if I forgot to set my power plan to High performance I would get a significant drop in speed and frames when I was running the game but that was due to the fact I had my resolution set above the Native. So at the end of the day the PS2 emulation on PS3 is very good with the PS2 Classics on the PlayStation Store. Also I read there were some minor hiccups with some PS2 games on PS3s with the Software Emulation vs the Hardware emulation that the Launch PS3 came with. Also there were games that were not compatible with both forms of PS2 backwards compatibility which also used a special controller such as Guitar Hero.
Well does the PS3 have laptop kind of power saving modes so you are adding it as a reason that the PS2 emu on PS3 is better than pcsx2
PCs don't use laptop kind of power saving so such problem will not exist.

In my case on my laptop,I create a nvidia custom configuration for pcsx2 to always set to gpu to maximum performance and I don't get any problems(rpcs3 is the same way...if I don't set to gpu to maximum performance while playing a game that is ocasionally making the gpu work harder,I often get half second freezes because either windows or the drivers are thinking "that don't need much power,lets lower the gpu clock speed to save power" but then sudenly something popus up and windows\drivers have to increase the clock speed and that cases stuttering)

I am not sure if the power profiles are doing anything extra other than what you see in "Change advanced power settings",but if they are not,I don't see the point of them.There is nothing inside that is limiting the performance while you are on AC power
(08-29-2018, 04:19 PM)vsub Wrote: Well does the PS3 have laptop kind of power saving modes so you are adding it as a reason that the PS2 emu on PS3 is better than pcsx2
PCs don't use laptop kind of power saving so such problem will not exist.

In my case on my laptop,I create a nvidia custom configuration for pcsx2 to always set to gpu to maximum performance and I don't get any problems(rpcs3 is the same way...if I don't set to gpu to maximum performance while playing a game that is ocasionally making the gpu work harder,I often get half second freezes because either windows or the drivers are thinking "that don't need much power,lets lower the gpu clock speed to save power" but then sudenly something popus up and windows\drivers have to increase the clock speed and that cases stuttering)

I am not sure if the power profiles are doing anything extra other than what you see in "Change advanced power settings",but if they are not,I don't see the point of them.There is nothing inside that is limiting the performance while you are on AC power
Well High performance on both Laptops and Desktops disable Speed step which throttles down the CPU to a low power state during idle which allows for better performance on laptops because of you getting a constant frequency and not something that is all over the place. PS3 does not have any power saving methods that I am aware of. I'm just telling you my findings from playing a game both on PCSX2 and the PS3. There was no difference in performance with the game that I tried. The PS3's PS2 emulator is better than PCSX2 no question about it because not having to deal with any slow downs with minor graphical glitches depending on the game etc. But there are 3 different methods of playing PS2 games (Hardware, Software emulation and Playstation Store Software Emulation) So pick your poison. It depends on the game. There are a hand full of PS2 games that were not compatible with any of the Emulation methods that the PS3 offered. Plus the situation do want to play on close to actual PS hardware or emulate on PC. Well yeah I can add that you do not need to tinker to get PS2 games to work on the PS3 they just work out of the box for the majority of them.
(08-30-2018, 05:27 AM)fender178 Wrote: Well High performance on both Laptops and Desktops disable Speed step which throttles down the CPU to a low power state during idle which allows for better performance on laptops because of you getting a constant frequency and not something that is all over the place. PS3 does not have any power saving methods that I am aware of. I'm just telling you my findings from playing a game both on PCSX2 and the PS3. There was no difference in performance with the game that I tried. The PS3's PS2 emulator is better than PCSX2 no question about it because not having to deal with any slow downs with minor graphical glitches depending on the game etc. But there are 3 different methods of playing PS2 games (Hardware, Software emulation and Playstation Store Software Emulation) So pick your poison. It depends on the game. There are a hand full of PS2 games that were not compatible with any of the Emulation methods that the PS3 offered. Plus the situation do want to play on close to actual PS hardware or emulate on PC. Well yeah I can add that you do not need to tinker to get PS2 games to work on the PS3 they just work out of the box for the majority of them.

Thanks for your opinions, but you didn't understand the OP.
he was asking how technically Sony's PS2 emu could be better than pcsx2.

and what you basically answered is "yeah, PS3 hardware and Sony's PS2 emu are more user friendly".
your opinion could be interesting in some way, but it's completely off topic here.

To OP : funny thing is we actually discovered Sony used part of our emu's source code. So in some way, Sony's PS2 emu is aprt of pcsx2 and Vice-Versa Tongue2
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(08-30-2018, 06:39 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Thanks for your opinions, but you didn't understand the OP.
he was asking how technically Sony's PS2 emu could be better than pcsx2.

and what you basically answered is "yeah, PS3 hardware and Sony's PS2 emu are more user friendly".
your opinion could be interesting in some way, but it's completely off topic here.

To OP : funny thing is we actually discovered Sony used part of our emu's source code. So in some way, Sony's PS2 emu is aprt of pcsx2 and Vice-Versa Tongue2
Oh I understood his question I was just giving my view point on both that's all. Really Sony actually used some of PCSX2's code in their emulator that is very interesting. Just like how the guy behind the Bleem PS1 commercial emulator joined Sony and helped with the PS1 backwards compatibility on the PS2.