Is Shadow of the Colossus at true 60fps possible?
Let's try to remove the misunderstandings about the refresh rate and FPS once and for all.

The refresh rate is fixed for the system, does not matter if it is a console, TV or computer. In TV it's fixed by the adopted standard, the only ones that matters here is (European) PAL N =50 frames per second and NTSC=60 frames per second (yes, I said frames but nothing about what is draw in the canvases), each refresh pass is a canvas where things will be draw.

Computer is more flexible because it is not tied with any TV standard and the video driver need only to provide the same refresh rate the monitor is capable. At old CRT that is an important factor and the higher the best because the flickering. Modern monitors still benefits from higher refresh rate but not at the same extent and 60 is a common value, 120 is reserved for very high accuracy and 3D view experience.

So, does not matter the system being used, it will always keep the refresh rate steady under risk the image being totally distorted/lost. Many people here may still recall what happens when the vertical or horizontal synch was lost in old TV devices, with the vertical desynch the image (entire canvas) begins to slide down or up slowly, while in the horizontal desynch the image becomes a series of diagonal strips.

Now that we "got" steady canvases repeating exactly the expected number of times we can draw over it as many times as we wish. And it's perfectly possible to draw only once and that draw pushed in a buffer the video driver would output that buffer to the monitor at any rate and the final result would be a perfect still image, does not matter if it's draw at 1 FPS or 200 FPS.

OK, we are interested in movement, not on still pictures, so things are constantly changing from one frame to the next. Experience showed 24 FPS is enough to the human eye see the changes as smooth provided things are not changing too fast. If we look at a video frame by frame we can see how the moving elements changes position, slow moving things get smaller shifts than the fastest ones.

That mean than below 20 FPS the eye is perfectly able to detect the lack of smoothness even for low moving things and then it should be avoided at all cost or it will seen more a slide show than a movie.

Still it's not yet clear how the movement in each frame is directed. In almost all computer applications the changes in moving elements are synchronized by real time. Let's say the body X is to move from the point A to point B in 6 seconds it will do it in 6 seconds does not matter if the FPS is 30 or 300 (the only perceptible difference would be verifying the shift it gets at each frame). This is what explain why PC games seem tolerant with FPS changes.

Now let us look to movements that are synchronized with the frame. The most obvious example is an actual movie where the whole image is already impressed on the canvas... any change in the FPS is translated into slowdown or fast pace. In a movie the FPS and the refresh rate are the same thing, so we see the distinction is only about how fast the actual canvas is draw. Difference between the FPS and vertical refresh can lead to images sectors shifts and so may be desirable to keep the FPS and vertical refresh so they begin the scan at same time what can lead to FPS capped as low as half or even less than the monitor refresh rate, not that big deal in PC games but a killer in console (and console emulators), thus disabling the video driver Vsynch can help alot.

All this got us to the console games finally. Most are designed so it's timings are synchronized with the FPS, very alike the TV itself. the above body X moving from point A to point B is not dependent on time anymore, it has a fixed shift at each frame. If in the PC it would perform the whole trip in 6 seconds mattering not the FPS, in console games it would move at half speed under half FPS as it was a movie and not dynamically draw.

Not only the image may be synched this way, other parameters might be equally dependent on the FPS. The other more perceptible being the sound itself. It's easy to perceive that in this harsh scenery, raw low FPS is BAD, not much better is high FPS.

To try and help the machines which cannot keep the FPS at expected value the reason for the hacks, one very significant is the VU cycle stealing. It's function is to help GS to achieve the correct FPS, the price being: to do so, it reduces the amount of actual output, lets say it allows GS to draw the canvas more frequently but actual changes between the drawings are reduced, what can lead to lag and slow motion in sensible games. Still it should not be completely discarded because albeit not ideal that lag may be better than the raw low FPS that can break other things like the sound, for example (a few games get sound desynch too but it's another history). EE Cyclerate is a more probable suspect for sound issues.

I hope this long post brings light about the differences between the FPS and Refresh rate. Mainly in the understanding this last represent the canvases and the former represents the actual drawings over these canvases. The video driver is smart enough to repeat whatever is in the buffer to keep the canvas filled with the actual image, even if no new drawing is done on it. Sadly I don't have SotC so I can't tell how it looks and feels and how it behaves under different speed hacks or none at all.

The bottom line is PCSX2 must struggle not only to emulate the base PS2 refresh rate as it need to provide enough FPS to fill it, I think it is what Koji meant.
Imagination is where we are truly real

Sponsored links

As far as I can tell Sotc has a changing framerate like on the 4th colossi when you hide that colossi keeps hitting on the place you're hiding and when there's dirt falling all around you i've seen it drop as low as 5fps at that point on a real ps2. Activating speedhacks help a little but activating the VU cycle stealing the framerate starts dropping in the game. The SOTC and ICO remake is said to run at a constant 30fps as I've heard. If you can take juice out of the EE with the speedhack what's that different about adding?
So the tl;dr version: is it possible to overclock pcsx2? There is an overclocked version of 1964 that allows you get better framerates in GE/PD.
I'm not sure to have understood the question.

My previous post was too long to be hopped to be read. So, to make things short.

Yes, the frame rate is just the amount of times a new frame is written over the canvas provided by the refresh rate. And yes, they don't need to have the same value. The image is outputted to the monitor as soon it's buffer is full and only when it is (technically speaking, only the actual changes over the previous image need to be redraw but it's another history).

If the FPS is greater than the refresh rate, the "canvas" is filled more than once at each vertical refresh pass.
If the FPS is smaller than the refresh rate, the canvas will repeat the last image until a new one is provided by the FPS.

Actual changes in the image depends only on the actual changes and not the amount of times the frame is written in the canvas.

If the changes depend on real time and not the FPS, it looks smooth and happening at the expected speed does not matter the FPS, provided it does not fall under the minimal necessary for the smoothness.

If the changes depend on the frame, the FPS dictates it looking slow motion or fast paced.

The refresh rate cannot change on the actual machine device, if it does the image is totally distorted or becomes unstable. And I don't mean the image "content" but the image itself... like a paper photography being shacked or creased.

So yes, the game can run at 30FPS on actual PS2 and be "correct" in time but the PS2 refresh rate can't depart from the standard.

On PCSX2 the GS FPS can be seen as an PS2 refresh rate emulation, but it is yet FPS for the actual machine. From the emulator stand point that FPS is something to be achieved at all cost.

The PS2 FPS emulation is a bit more subjective, the better explanation I can think at the moment is the pace things change inside that actual, hopefully fixated at the standard, GS FPS.

Putting together> PCSX2 must try to achieve 60FPS for NTSC PS2 games, moreover it must try to repeat (emulate) the same changes which occurs at the actual PS2 FPS, frame by frame.

There is no sense in thinking about actual PS2 FPS here (it is abstract), only in the amount and pace of the changes in the GS FPS output. {This statement is subject of revision}

Addendum: The emulator (PCSX2 here) can only hope that keeping steady FPS equal to the game's standard refresh rate, the things changing in the game will occurs at the right time and place, how it would in the actual PS2.

The whole point is PCSX2 GS FPS emulates the console refresh rate (which is the referential for PS2 timings), The console actual FPS does not have a concrete meaning under PCSX2 view point other than being embedded into the (fixated) GS FPS as actual changes rate.

Oh my, that short version got as long as the former Smile so let's highlight the final bit since it hopefully is enough by itself.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(03-27-2011, 08:58 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: I'm not sure to have understood the question.

My previous post was too long to be hopped to be read. So, to make things short.

Yes, the frame rate is just the amount of times a new frame is written over the canvas provided by the refresh rate. And yes, they don't need to have the same value. The image is outputted to the monitor as soon it's buffer is full and only when it is (technically speaking, only the actual changes over the previous image need to be redraw but it's another history).

If the FPS is greater than the refresh rate, the "canvas" is filled more than once at each vertical refresh pass.
If the FPS is smaller than the refresh rate, the canvas will repeat the last image until a new one is provided by the FPS.

Actual changes in the image depends only on the actual changes and not the amount of times the frame is written in the canvas.

If the changes depend on real time and not the FPS, it looks smooth and happening at the expected speed does not matter the FPS, provided it does not fall under the minimal necessary for the smoothness.

If the changes depend on the frame, the FPS dictates it looking slow motion or fast paced.

The refresh rate cannot change on the actual machine device, if it does the image is totally distorted or becomes unstable. And I don't mean the image "content" but the image itself... like a paper photography being shacked or creased.

So yes, the game can run at 30FPS on actual PS2 and be "correct" in time but the PS2 refresh rate can't depart of the standard.

On PCSX2 the GS FPS can be seen as an PS2 refresh rate emulation, but it is yet FPS for the actual machine. From the emulator stand point that FPS is something to be achieved at all cost.

The PS2 FPS emulation is a bit more subjective, the better explanation I can think at the moment is the pace things change inside that actual GS FPS.

Putting together> PCSX2 must try to achieve 60FPS for NTSC PS2 games, moreover it must try to repeat (emulate) the same changes which occurs at the actual PS2 FPS, frame by frame. There is no sense in thinking about actual PS2 FPS here (it is abstract), only in the amount and pace of the changes in the GS FPS output.

I know that's why i made this thread knowing it.