Is V-RAM the limiting factor with internal res?
(09-25-2012, 05:42 PM)Ice Queen Zero Wrote: Anything higher than 4x were probably a placebo.

pretty much this, i can play on 4x native (2048 x 2048?) no problems even dragon quest can be played on full speed at those res.

if i go 6x i dont see a difference except the framerate being lower so yah.

on the topic of resolution, is it possible that a high resolution on pcsx2 can screw up games graphicaly so bad its unplayable?

ive noticed that when i play on either 4x native or 2040 x 2048 cutsom that valkyrie profile 2 get really wierd graphicaly (lower end of the screen get doubled for some reason Wacko) << if to offtopic il make a thread about it.

Sponsored links

ehhh, 2048x2048? What res that is?
i play at 1280x1024 max
Lost in the Vastness of Mugen.
(09-25-2012, 05:34 PM)vince21 Wrote: On the subject of huge resolutions such as 4096x4096, I'd be very interested in seeing pictures of the results of all the int. res. scaling levels. I'd like to see what PS2 games look like at the much higher resolutions when compared to say only 2x scaling.

In a 1080p screen in fullscreen streching you won't notice alot if anything to be more accurate. But if you zoom in, the textures may seem a result of overfiltered stuff compared to the richness of the polygons though that's not importantly a bad thing it's a bit of an overkill. I have a couple of screenshots at 4k 16:9 resolution (4096x2300) and they are only usefull for HUGE posters for your room.
There are two resolutions to be aware, one is the screen resolution, with a max dictated by the AR (aspect rate) and the size of your monitor.

The other is what is being discussed here, the texture resolution. Upscaling is not really increasing the resolution since it can't help with fine details the real resolution brings. What it does is calculating boundaries so to smooth the image, still, after some point it will contribute only to make the image blurrier

Understanding that difference is important for a game can run at 1080p (for example) with very low texture resolution or run at, lets say 1600x900 with greater texture resolution. The first will show more things, the second will show less things but more detailed. For PC games even this is not granted for a game may present the same image at different screen resolutions, losing only sharpness in the smaller.

Besides, the better upscaling is not always linear, some games may present strips and glitches if just doubling the original resolution, tripling and so... I remember a few that ran better at 1200x1200 than 2x the original (which presented the mentioned strips). Use that information to test and find better values if certain game does not upscale well.
Imagination is where we are truly real
In some rare cases, higher than 4x scaling gives noticably better results.
I'd just like to mention that while some games like that exist, they are rare Wink
^ Does anyone have screenshots of PCSX2 games at the higher resolutions? Like 6x, 8x etc scaling. Interested to see the maximum visual output the PCSX2 is capable of.
(09-25-2012, 01:49 PM)vgrageaholic Wrote: So I noticed that I can go up to 3x internal res just fine, but if I go up to 4x I start to lose frames quite drastically.

Is this a V-RAM problem? I have a GTX 570 that only has 1.2GB V-RAM.

could be CPU as well. my new GPU can handle much more than my CPU can.

My CPU limits my graphics capabilities. (just food for thought)
i had noodles tonight so this might be wrong.

Agreed with above could be CPU too.

But there is something called "Bottleneck"
I am sure you will know what it means.
if not then check Wikipedia.

it means that if you have an GTX 690 GPU(just think) with an old P4 means you CPU is bottlenecking your GPU.

The formula is CPU = GPU You need to have equal amount of strength in CPU and GPU to harness the performance of your PC.
Lost in the Vastness of Mugen.
that's my point
(09-27-2012, 05:20 PM)vince21 Wrote: ^ Does anyone have screenshots of PCSX2 games at the higher resolutions? Like 6x, 8x etc scaling. Interested to see the maximum visual output the PCSX2 is capable of.

Just in case this was missed - bump. I don't have my gaming PC yet, and would love a few high-res screenies of like FFX or something to whet my appetite for what's to come... Smile