Is it better an Intel i5/i7 CPU or an AMD Ryzen 2600X to run PCSX2?
Rainbow 
Hi

i would like to buy a a mini-pc (mini-itx) to connect it to my tv fullHD for retrogaming. 
Is PCSX2 supported in the same way both from Intel i5/i7 and AMD Ryzen 2600X/2700X?
I would like to buy an AMD Ryzen 2600X, cheaper and with really good performance. Or is it better to buy and Intel processor becasue it has a better compatibility with PCSX2?

thanks

Sponsored links

PCSX2 is pretty reliant on Single Threaded Performance. Intel is king of STP. Even the newest ryzens are just catching up with 3rd gen I7's in STP..

Intel is the way to go .
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
ah Intel is better? OK. Do you think that an i5 8600K is enough to run perfectly the ps2 games at 60fps and 1080p?

I will buy a motherboard like Gigabyte B360N or AsRock AB350 Gaming ITX/AC AMD AM4. And the GPU will be a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Mini ZT-P10600A
yes.. barring maybe 1 or 2 exceptions that nobody can run at full speed...
the integrated graphics wont do 1080 tho.. look at a 1050 ti or better for that.. avoid amd.
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
You are also not going to be running many games at 60fps unless you want to break many games. 60fps patches do not like PS2 games as much as some other systems. 100% of the original PS2's speed can be accomplished, barring the few exceptions like scythefwd mentioned, with something like 8600k. 1080p internal resolution is usually ok (with the occasional game that gives some odd graphical issues with any upscaling)

The thing is that the ryzen 5 2600X is going to handle most games fine. While the 8600k is vastly more powerful (especially stock vs stock) there are fewer and fewer games that require more and more performance as you start getting above passmark 2000stp. So you should balance what your spending vs what your getting, unless you have to be able to play almost every game at full speed\near full speed all/near all of the time.

Also ryzen is closer to haswell (4th gen) intel's single threaded performance, but that is still well below 8th gen intel.
ah ok, so if original speed 30fps is ok, i only need to run ps2 games with graphic filters and 1080p, nothing else. I don't need to run a lot of games, many of my ps2 favourite games aren't so "heavy" to run i suppose, so i think that i don't need a really powerful cpu. Probably a 2600X or an intel i5 8600K (both can be overclockeif necessary) it could be enough i suppose...

I compared the 2 cpu here:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD...3956vs3941

Intel i5 seems to be better, but it has 6 threads instead 12 of AMD..

If you say that really few games needs a powerful cpu like i7 8700K or highter, i can avoid this cpu and save money. Can you tell me some of these games, please?

thank you
The only games I know of that have absurd performance requirements are 24 the game and Shadow of the Colossus. But these are both due to emulation problems, 24 does something that causes the dynarec to recompile a bunch of garbage and run incredibly slow, and SotC slams the VUs harder than any other game out there, and for whatever reason this causes slowdowns on all but the best CPUs, possibly a problem with how EE/VU cycles work but we're not 100% sure.

I have an i7 8700K and it is wonderful but massively overkill if you are just gaming or just emulating. Don't worry about thread count either, PCSX2 can lever two, at most 3 cores, so any more won't contribute. As long as you have three+ cores, the limiting factor is almost entirely based on how fast your CPU can chug through a single thread. Basically, the passmark STR will tell you at a glance if it's fine, great, or trash for PCSX2.

Intel does tend to beat AMD for single thread performance that is true, but AMD can still compete. If both CPUs meet the 2000 STR recommendation then I would say go for the cheaper. But if you're interested in squeezing every last bit of performance out of PCSX2 (turning up the EE cyclerate to get variable framerate games up to 60 FPS), then go with the highest STR your budget will allow.
thanks. I don't find the STR parameter in the benchmark...does it have a different name?
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
thanks.
Intel i5 8600K is really better thant Ryzen 5 2600X: 2.520 vs 2.142
So its' better to buy an Intel even if it has 6 threads i think