Is my CPU causing this?
I was playing The Urbz: Sims in the City but the game was at a very slow speed (50%) so I posted a thread yesterday and found out the emulator was using the wrong graphics card. After I fixed that everything was running fine at 100% 'till I decided to visit another lot. This is when the game started running slow again and my EE thing was in the 90s.  
So I wanted to ask if someone could confirm that my laptop doesn't meet the requirements. I read the system requirements myself but I know nothing about CPUs and stuff so I don't know if mine's good. I have an i7 and it was listed as okay in a thread. I should know for sure since I placed an order on Amazon for 2 more games and I should cancel it ASAP if I can't run them Tongue 

My specs: 
Windows 10 64Bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-4510U @2.00GHz
GPU i'm using: AMD Radeon R5 M330
Ram: 8GB

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored links

The CPU's clock speed is really holding you back. Most games need 3ghz and more. I have a quad core running at 4ghz and some games still get slowdowns.

Maybe enable all the recommended speed hacks and see if that helps but I would say it's definitely the CPU. I'm note sure about the graphics card though, I'm assuming you're using a laptop?
-PC Specs-
AMD Ryzen 3600
16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
MSI Armor Radeon RX580 8gb 
Windows 10 Pro x64 
-Laptop Specs-
i7 6700HQ @ 2.9Ghz
8gb DDR3 
GTX 960m 4GB
Windows 10 Pro x64
(04-21-2019, 09:26 AM)Zangetsu21 Wrote: The CPU's clock speed is really holding you back. Most games need 3ghz and more. I have a quad core running at 4ghz and some games still get slowdowns.

Maybe enable all the recommended speed hacks and see if that helps but I would say it's definitely the CPU. I'm note sure about the graphics card though, I'm assuming you're using a laptop?

Some speedhacks help but The Urbz is still unplayable at times, especially when looking around and stuff. 
Yes, I'm using a laptop.
The single threaded performance of the 4510u is just right at the recommended level for non demanding titles. This is assuming that your laptop is as to use 100% of it's CPU performance. So if you want to run a demanding game then it will not work well and if it thermal throttles then even non demanding titles will probably have performance issues.
U series Intel CPUs are not ideal to run high CPU intensive tasks on for long periods of time since they are more designed for burst performance. Boosting up much and high to keep the system responsive then dropping back to the base clock to keep power and heat more manageable in smaller form factors.
(04-21-2019, 03:24 PM)TkSilver Wrote: The single threaded performance of the 4510u is just right at the recommended level for non demanding titles.  This is assuming that your laptop is as to use 100% of it's CPU performance.  So if you want to run a demanding game then it will not work well and if it thermal throttles then even non demanding titles will probably have performance issues.  
U series Intel CPUs are not ideal to run high CPU intensive tasks on for long periods of time since they are more designed for burst performance.  Boosting up much and high to keep the system responsive then dropping back to the base clock to keep power and heat more manageable in smaller form factors.

So changing the setting won't work well you think? I should cancel my order afterall, don't think The Sims 2 will run..
Running lower settings will lower the stress on your CPU and GPU and lower the heat and power draw. This can help. You can also try utilities like throttlestop (https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-Low...140.0.html) and Intel's XTU (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extr...120.0.html) to undervolt your CPU and get better performance through more stable heat and power draw... though just like overclocking be careful when doing things like this and make very small adjustments, test, then small adjustments.
(04-21-2019, 05:44 PM)TkSilver Wrote: Running lower settings will lower the stress on your CPU and GPU and lower the heat and power draw.  This can help.  You can also try utilities like throttlestop (https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-to-Low...140.0.html) and Intel's XTU (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extr...120.0.html) to undervolt your CPU and get better performance through more stable heat and power draw... though just like overclocking be careful when doing things like this and make very small adjustments, test, then small adjustments.

Does my temperature have to do with my EE? Cause the laptop is pretty cool when I play and I also use a cooler already.
Tempratures do effect how much of a boost to the frequencies of the CPU and GPU there is. With more room between the thermal limits set by the manufacturer and the tempratures from the sensors the higher turbo boost for intel will allow the 4510u to get to (up to it's max boost of 3.1 GHz). It is also not the temperature if the laptop as a whole but the temps of the cpu package and all the individual cores that matter for turbo boost.

Aside from temperature limits there are also power draw limits, some manufacturers set these quite a bit lower then the laptop will draw at full load (fully stressing all parts of the laptop that use power) to keep battery life at a good number to have useless stats for marketing. These limits can also be even lower when on battery power and add to the many reasons you should not game, use emulators, or do any other stressful things while not plugged in.
Like TKSilver said, I use emulators like PCSX2 and RPCS3 on my laptop only when plugged in with an external cooler to keep temperature low. I've noticed throttled speed when I'm running it on battery.
PC Specs:
PC: HP Omen 15 dc-0051nr laptop
CPU: Intel i7-8750H (2.2 GHz up to 4.1 GHz)
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Notebook (6 GB)
Storage: 256 SSD PCi NV M.2+1 TB HDD
Need the latest GIT/development build? Click here!