Is owning a PS2 recommended for using PCSX2?
What if hypothetically one doesn't own a PS2 but own a PS3 instead. Would you say he/she is morally right to use PCSX2?

Sponsored links

You can't dump the PS2 bios from PS3 so you will not be using your own bios which is illegal.
I own a PS2 and I use my own bios but no one will going to ask you if you have a PS2 or not(that's witchhunt which is against the rules)
I was thinking about this some time, too.

In the old ps3 there where hardware and software emulators for the ps2. Therefore there should be some bios inside or?

If so, would that bios be usable or would that be a strange spin-off?
(11-05-2013, 10:17 AM)willkuer Wrote: I was thinking about this some time, too.

In the old ps3 there where hardware and software emulators for the ps2. Therefore there should be some bios inside or?

If so, would that bios be usable or would that be a strange spin-off?

not really.
sony made his own PS2 emulator to be used in the PS3. But that doen't necessarily mean they literally used a PS2 bios to make it work.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(11-05-2013, 09:21 AM)vsub Wrote: You can't dump the PS2 bios from PS3 so you will not be using your own bios which is illegal.
I own a PS2 and I use my own bios but no one will going to ask you if you have a PS2 or not(that's witchhunt which is against the rules)

Well illegally wrong and morally wrong are two different things.
(11-05-2013, 06:42 PM)superbrah3 Wrote: Well illegally wrong and morally wrong are two different things.

maybe so, but having a BIOS from any source other than your own PS2 that you have bought is considered illegal, even if you own the same PS2 as a BIOS you could download, you would not be obtaining that copy and it would not be allowed here.

We have to ensure we do not step on Sony's toes too much, the last thing we want to do is aggravate them.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

If there was a PS2 bios in your PS3 and you had a legal way to get to it (here it gets tricky),
then it should be fine to use I would think.
The tricky part is that in PS2 times, Sony embraced homebrewing (as long as it wasn't meant for pirate use).
With the PS3 they tried to lock the system down against any and all unlicensed use, so I'm not sure if there's
a legal way to get to the PS2 bios file which might be contained in the PS3.
if you have a hacked PS3 you can, just like you can get a PSX bios (however heavily modified) from a PSP. (I don't have a hacked PS3, or I'd do it myself) I'm willing to bet you can get a PSX bios from a PS2 as well
(11-06-2013, 10:44 AM)Saiki Wrote: if you have a hacked PS3 you can, just like you can get a PSX bios (however heavily modified) from a PSP. (I don't have a hacked PS3, or I'd do it myself) I'm willing to bet you can get a PSX bios from a PS2 as well

Interesting... i do have a hacked PS3, so im curious now ;p
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(11-06-2013, 11:34 AM)refraction Wrote: Interesting... i do have a hacked PS3, so im curious now ;p

it would require being able to use the PS2 emu with hacked games. idk if there's any working packers for the PS3 yet though. I don't keep up with the PS3 much. Mine isn't hackable.