Is pcsx2 harmful for my laptop hardware?
Please note that this is NOT a gaming laptop, it is a regular one. I've already downloaded the program and I have run it, I noticed my laptop does overheat, but not too much I guess, but I'm still concerned because the most I used it was 10 minutes, then I stopped using it out of fear. It's an HP laptop, which are also notorious for overheating problems.

Here are the specifications: Processor is Intel core i5, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon 520 Graphics card. (I don't know much about computers tbh  Blush )

PS: I'm new here, please tell me if there's anything wrong with this post or if this question is already asked. I looked for it and I didn't find anything similar.  Smile

Sponsored links

What temperatures was it running at?

PCSX2 or really most programs are not inherently harmful to hardware, but excessive heat above what is safe for the hardware can be. But everything depends on the specifics

Use something like MSI afterburner or another realtime monitoring software to get the temps while running PCSX2 and we can give you a better idea if it is dangerous or not.
(07-06-2018, 12:56 AM)TkSilver Wrote: What temperatures was it running at?

PCSX2 or really most programs are not inherently harmful to hardware, but excessive heat above what is safe for the hardware can be.  But everything depends on the specifics

Use something like MSI afterburner or another realtime monitoring software to get the temps while running PCSX2 and we can give you a better idea if it is dangerous or not.

I don't know the exact temperature, but I'm sure it wasn't dangerously hot. Thanks for your recommendation to check it.
Anyway, I want to know if pcsx2 alone can eventually cause a temperature high enough to damage hardware. My laptop has a quad-core processor, if that helps (I've read that pcsx2 depends on CPU).
It should not do that if your laptop is working correctly and it throttles the CPU then it should not get so hot it does permanent immediate damage, but long term temperatures that are high can effect the lifespan of components. It really depends on how hot the system gets... knowing the exact model would allow for a google search to see if temperature related failures are common for the model, but only real world exact temperatures will tell us how your laptop is handling the stress.
(07-06-2018, 01:15 AM)TkSilver Wrote: It should not do that if your laptop is working correctly and it throttles the CPU then it should not get so hot it does permanent immediate damage, but long term temperatures that are high can effect the lifespan of components.  It really depends on how hot the system gets... knowing the exact model would allow for a google search to see if temperature related failures are common for the model, but only real world exact temperatures will tell us how your laptop is handling the stress.

The model is HP 15-bs102nv (2PK07EA). I didn't find any information about temperature issues on this model. Thanks for the reply.
Your laptop's CPU will automatically underclock itself when it begins reaching dangerous operating temperatures. Most CPUs start thermal throttling around 90-95 degrees Celsius, and will hard stop the system if it reaches 100 Celsius. That said, plenty of software such as MSI Afterburner can show you temperatures. If you have issues with temperatures getting high after prolonged use and starting to set off thermal throttle, you may be able to shave off a few degrees with a laptop cooling pad.
You are actually lowering the performance of your laptop(it didn't look that it is by much when you look at he fps)but if you go to the power plan andanced settings and set the cpu maximum state to 98%,you wil get much lower temps and quieter laptop than settng it to 99/100% which allows the turbo mode to start and overclock you cpu

For example on rpcs3 at 99/100% I reach 75c and above in about a minute of gameplay and the laptop becomes almost as loud as a vacuum cleaner
At 98% the temp is usually around 60c and rarely reach 65(70 if I really push the cpu and gpu to the max for a while)
I don't know why this is happening but it also happens on my pc

Laptop i7-6700hq on win10
PC i7-4771 on win7
(07-06-2018, 06:02 AM)vsub Wrote: You are actually lowering the performance of your laptop(it didn't look that it is by much when you look at he fps)but if you go to the power plan andanced settings and set the cpu maximum state to 98%,you wil get much lower temps and quieter laptop than settng it to 99/100% which allows the turbo mode to start and overclock you cpu

For example on rpcs3 at 99/100% I reach 75c and above in about a minute of gameplay and the laptop becomes almost as loud as a vacuum cleaner
At 98% the temp is usually around 60c and rarely reach 65(70 if I really push the cpu and gpu to the max for a while)
I don't know why this is happening but it also happens on my pc

Laptop i7-6700hq on win10
PC i7-4771 on win7
75 sounds low to me. My laptop's (i5-5200u / 940m) cpu temps goes to around 88 degrees when both cpu and gpu is fully loaded (gpu 80 degrees). Never experienced any problems during last 2 years. Regularly playing intensive games, no throttling, no nothing.
People should worry when cpu starts to actually slow down (throttling) other than that laptops are designed to withstand high temps.

For my i5 throttling tarts at 95 which I have never experienced. Yep at high temps it can get a bit louder, but that's because fan is doing it's job.
Have problems.. clean fan, add thermal paste or start to limit cpu usage if things go really bad.
Final note. pcsx2 is quite light on hardware if Your game can run full speed. No need to process extra frames. I have played old games with vsync disabled which utilize hardware much much more or game like Overwatch basically uses both cpu and gpu fully. Good way to stress my laptop.
I don't know how low 75c(that's the stating point,I reach that temp while watching 2min intro in rpcs3)is but tell me,will you allow 75+ if the game you are playing can run at full speed without any problems(even maxed out)at a cpu set to reach 2.5ghz out of 3.5ghz max
The result is:
2,5GHz - low temp,low noise,no loss in the game in any way
vs
3.5Ghz - A LOT higher temp making it unconfitable to use the keyboard(don't even think of using the laptop as lap top...your legs will fry),a lot lauder(I can hear the fans even when I am using headphones)and you will not get any benefits ingame(same speed\performance)

ePSXe\Citra\DesMuMe are also forcing the cpu to run in turbo mode(3.5Ghz even at the lowest possible settings)even if I can run some games at 800Mhz without any problems
3.5Ghz - 75c+
800Mhz - 40-45c
No, sounds bad. Guess You have some serious gaming laptop with loud fans etc.

In my case even with these high temps laptop isn't that loud. Only can hear a bit noise through headphones when sound is muted. Keyboard never gets hot. Guess am lucky...