Is possible to code on PCSX2/GSDX for AMD Features?
First iam sorry to up such question. Because That q is based on my clueless idea about codes and programing. In cpu both AMD and Intel we saw features such SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4 and Extended Features like MMX2, 3DNOW, 3DNOW2 for AMD CPU and i dont know about EX.F for Intel CPU. So my question, is possible to add some codes for those features in pcsx2 and gsdx? Especially in gsdx code to be working for Extended Features (MMX2, 3DNOW, 3DNOW2) in AMD CPU since Intel has SSSE3 and SS4 on Gsdx. it seems like unfair to me.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.

Sponsored links

Should have thought of that before getting an AMD.
@coisman: nah but i will go sticky again with AMD for IA. PhenomII X4 945BE or PhenomII X3 720BE but that is not main problem in this thread. I meant is about codes and programming.
@coisman: nah but i will go sticky again with AMD for IA. PhenomII X4 945BE or PhenomII X3 720BE but that is not main problem in this thread. I meant is about codes and programming.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
there's better ways to spend coding time than to optimize for obsolete instruction sets.
Coisman you say that as though AMD should never have entered the x86 CPU market. I can't think of the proper words right now to express my utter disgust at that comment without resorting to cursing you out.

As much as I regret that I wish they'd use AMD-specific optimizations, I respect that it would be a pain to maintain both. That said, both processors support SSE2 and I believe it's using that. It doesn't make a difference in GSdx because the emulator isn't limited by the speed of the graphics plugin.

(As an aside, look at the sound card market. Creative Labs dominates with no competition and they've no reason to bring anything new to the market or fix drivers, and they keep prices ridiculous. That's what would have happened without AMD.)
(02-14-2009, 09:48 AM)cottonvibes Wrote: there's better ways to spend coding time than to optimize for obsolete instruction sets.

Completely agreed. I think I can safely say it, it's AMD's fault for only supporting obsolete instruction sets.

Sorry amd users, but the only sensible thing for us to do is using those instructions set that offer us something, and that are recent. No point nor time for optimizing for obsolete and/or useless ones.
Thanks for the replies, but what about function extended features like MMX2, 3DNOW and 3DNOW2, is those features obsolete and useless too? Seems only AMD CPU have that features or we just wait until Intel come in too.
AMD specific instructionsets are very "non-standard" and rarely bring in any advantages. Providing a lot of coding time would need to be put in for these to see very little gain, it isnt really worth the effort. We can all rely on "most" SSE's being standard, so we can use them Smile

Note: I know SSSE3 is intel only, this is why there is only snippets of code using it, not the whole emu. But unlike 3dnow and MMX2, it can be useful Tongue2
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

I'd like to add that the 2 really usefull instructions sets (SSE and SSE2) are heavily used in both, gsdx and pcsx2..
Thanks for Team to give me a reason about programing in pcsx2 emulation. Please Do what is the best thing can do.