Is that configuration good enough to run games at full speed?
(10-23-2010, 08:15 PM)Deus Ex Machina Wrote: Interesting!

So I could (or should, for whatever reason?) avoid buying an i7 processor? For the GPU I'm sure to buy the GTX 485.

Do you think it's useless to wait for better processors? I mean, they are just going to add cores and I have yet to see an emulator using more than 3 cores (Dolphin uses 3 I think), so 4 should be more than enough. I wanted to wait until the best stuff for those emulators was available and I think it's time to invest.

why would you buy an gtx 485? O.o that is totaly unessesary and above all un told for if you want a good gaming rig also for pc games get an 5870 the strongest single gpu alive now, or if you can get your hand on it an 6XXX series card

you should avoid i7 indeed, the i7 is an i5 with memory controller and hyperthreading (only a few programs support it and emulators arent one of em)

dolphin uses 2 core same as pcsx2 so that makes no difference.

Sponsored links

There's a GTX 485? I thought NVIDIA's top card now was GTX 480?

Anyhow, upgrading from Core i5-760 to Core i7-860 doesn't make much monetary sense. At best, the Core i7-860 costs 33% more, without deals it can be up to 50% more. Few applications benefit from hyperthreading and those that do only show around 25% performance increase at best. In PCSX2, performance difference clock for clock between the i7-860 and i5-760 is effectively nil. 0~25% performance increase for 33% higher price doesn't seem like a very good deal to me.

As for waiting, at this point, if you don't really need a system right away, I think waiting for Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer might actually be a good idea.
Thanks everyone!

As far as the GPU is concerned, I don't know why I wrote GTX 485... I was thinking about the GTX 280! I read multiple times that ATI cards weren't good for most emulators so I'll stick with NVIDIA.

Either I'll go with the rig given above or I'll wait for new processors architectures. It looks like current processors don't allow to run all the games at full speed (and I think it's even worse with Dolphin) so it should be wiser to wait... Perhaps later PCSX2 will use more than 2 cores =)
(10-24-2010, 01:01 AM)Deus Ex Machina Wrote: Thanks everyone!

As far as the GPU is concerned, I don't know why I wrote GTX 485... I was thinking about the GTX 280! I read multiple times that ATI cards weren't good for most emulators so I'll stick with NVIDIA.

Either I'll go with the rig given above or I'll wait for new processors architectures. It looks like current processors don't allow to run all the games at full speed (and I think it's even worse with Dolphin) so it should be wiser to wait... Perhaps later PCSX2 will use more than 2 cores =)

i have yet to see a game that i cant play at full speed on my i5 760 soooo.. you were telling? Tongue

btw DONT go for amd the processors are WAY slower for emulation then intel processors.

the nvideathing and ati thing is bullcrap that was fixed long ago and ati has a way better price for buck ratio and if you were going for nvidea the gtx 460 1 gb version is better then the gtx 280 and it is way cheaper.. look before you leap Wink
(10-24-2010, 10:32 AM)warWeeny Wrote: i have yet to see a game that i cant play at full speed on my i5 760 soooo.. you were telling? Tongue

I should have precised one thing: I don't want to overclock my processor! I guess you did it? Tongue2

I'll wait for Sandy Bridge and if it's still not powerful enough I'll wait one more year for Ivy Bridge, and if it's still not powerful enough I'll wait one more year for Haswell, and if it's still not powerful enough I'll wait one more year for Rockwell, and if...

A non overclocked Sandy Bridge should be as good as an overclocked i7 920 so I cross my fingers! I can't wait to be in 2011 and see the first results of that processor with PCSX2 =)
(10-24-2010, 02:44 PM)Deus Ex Machina Wrote:
(10-24-2010, 10:32 AM)warWeeny Wrote: i have yet to see a game that i cant play at full speed on my i5 760 soooo.. you were telling? Tongue

I should have precised one thing: I don't want to overclock my processor! I guess you did it? Tongue2

I'll wait for Sandy Bridge and if it's still not powerful enough I'll wait one more year for Ivy Bridge, and if it's still not powerful enough I'll wait one more year for Haswell, and if it's still not powerful enough I'll wait one more year for Rockwell, and if...

A non overclocked Sandy Bridge should be as good as an overclocked i7 920 so I cross my fingers! I can't wait to be in 2011 and see the first results of that processor with PCSX2 =)

why dont you wanna oc your processor? i mean if you stay at the stock voltages you still can bump up at least 400mhz wich is in amd case a good 10 fps increase in most games.

yah i oc'ed my sucker to 4ghz, i love it xD
I think emus doesn't need that much GPU power..... ps2 graphics are kinda old nowadays
(10-27-2010, 06:54 PM)Tsunemori Wrote: I think emus doesn't need that much GPU power..... ps2 graphics are kinda old nowadays

At native, sure. If you want post-processing, you still need something beefier.
my core i5 760 and my gtx 760 play pretty well with res set at 1920x1080 with the aa all the way up
(10-28-2010, 03:44 AM)DKAngel Wrote: my core i5 760 and my gtx 760 play pretty well with res set at 1920x1080 with the aa all the way up

gtx 760.. they become more weirder bt the post, i think you mean gtx260?

and try to play dragonquest 8 or shadow of the collosus with those res and aa i bet you will be suprised Tongue