Is that configuration good enough to run games at full speed?
Hello!

I'm finally ready to upgrade my PC and that's only for two things: PCSX2 and Dolphin.

As far as PCSX2 is concerned, do you think I'll have good results with that?

CPU: AMD PHENOM II X4 965 (3.4 GHz, I don't like overclocking)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 (1 GHz)
RAM: 4GB DDR2

Are there things I should improve or is it enough? Thanks!

Sponsored links

it should be fine. but with some games you'll have issues, it's not your fault, it's a case of pcsx2 has a slowed EE for low-end PC users like myself. (no idea when that's going to change)
Thanks! As long it's not my fault, I'm happy. I'll just wait for a new release (hopefully one day it will use 4 cores).
Just a comment, from user feedback (heck, devs, too) both Dolphin and PCSX2 seem to prefer Intel. If you're upgrading solely for those two emulators, that's something to keep in mind. Not saying you'll get bad performance with your CPU selection. Just that Intel delivers better performance for those specific apps.

Of course, if you already have the motherboard and are just doing a drop-in CPU replacement, not worth it to switch platforms.
Thanks! I must also change the motherboard so I'll check what Intel has to offer (and yes, that's only for those emulators). The only problem: Intel processors are way more expensive :/
I just saw the stickied topic so you can erase this one. Sorry :/
What about this processor? Intel Core i7 860 Socket 1156 Quad Core
I would suggest you pick up an i5-760+.

But really, I'm not sure you can run everything full speed even with i5-760 overclocked for certain games such as Zone of Enders: the 2nd runner.
just because of sse3 or sse4 ur need change to intel?

actually bug still in any platform.
(10-21-2010, 12:33 AM)sakraycore Wrote: I would suggest you pick up an i5-760+.

But really, I'm not sure you can run everything full speed even with i5-760 overclocked for certain games such as Zone of Enders: the 2nd runner.

you actually can Smile
i have an i5 [email protected] ghz and it is marvelous xD

@topic:

here is a system that can run almost everything out of the box:

intel E8500
asus p5q series (just go with the cheapest)
either a vidcard that has the 150$ range (gts 250 is also a good choice for 100$ but either an ati 5750/5770 and similar performing nvidea carda are a good ibverstment

and if you have ddr2 ram then s=choose a motherboard that suports it or else youl wind uo buying new rram and ah.. you dotn want that obv

with this build you can .. yes overclock but it is not harmfull at the least because you can oc that sucker to 3.6 ghz without voltage bumping and if you are lucky you can hit 4 ghz with it.

beleive me you dont need another comp to play your emulation games ever again Tongue
The Core 2 Duo E8500 costs almost as much as a Core i5-760 that it's hard to justify it for a new build. DDR3 prices are also falling. I've seen branded 2x2GB kits for $70.

For a new build that will be used specifically for PCSX2, my pick would be:
CPU: Intel Core i5-750/760 ~$180-210
MB: Gigabyte or Asus H55/H57/P55 ~$80-150
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333/1600 ~$70-90
GPU: GTX 460 or HD 5770 (depending on current deals)
Interesting!

So I could (or should, for whatever reason?) avoid buying an i7 processor? For the GPU I'm sure to buy the GTX 485.

Do you think it's useless to wait for better processors? I mean, they are just going to add cores and I have yet to see an emulator using more than 3 cores (Dolphin uses 3 I think), so 4 should be more than enough. I wanted to wait until the best stuff for those emulators was available and I think it's time to invest.