Issues getting PS3 Controller to work (Issue with XInput Wrapper?)
For the past few hours I've attempted to get my PS3 controller to work with the PS2 Emulator PCSX2. Unfortunately I've had no luck getting it to work, and am wondering if I could gain some assistance/help in something that I might be doing wrong, or an error of some kind (Procedure/Installation/etc.). I will now walk through the steps that I have done a few different times, always ending in the PS3 controller not being recognized by PCSX2. I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but my PS3 controller is the Sixaxis kind, not the DualShock 3. I believe I am following the steps correctly that are listed on the XInput Wrapper thread (http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wr...Controller), but I could be making a mistake. I have also tried following the basically the same instructions found on this post (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=59385385) (The "Getting your PS3 controller to run on windows in 2 minutes w/o motionjoy reply), but to no avail. I am running Windows 8.1 x64. I am not attempting to connect the PS3 controller via bluetooth, just wired through USB. Steps I've done:
1. Download Xbox 360 drivers for Windows 7 x64 (There is no Windows 8/Windows 8.1 drivers download, is this my problem?) (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/...or-windows)
2. Run the Xbox 360 driver installation exe in compatibility mode for Windows 7
3. Plug in my PS3 Sixaxis controller via USB cord into PC
4. Download XInput Wrapper v. 1.2.0.160 and XInput Wrapper Update v. 1.2.2.175
5. Extract files from XInput Wrapper v. 1.2.0.260 in \ScpServer\bin to C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\PS3
6. Extract files from XInput Wrapper v. 1.2.2.175 in \ScpServer\bin to C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\PS3, overwriting some old versions of some files
7. Run ScpDriver.exe, grant Administrator rights, click install, do not check Force Install
8. ScpDriver.exe reports Successful Install with Install Summary: Bus Device
Bus Driver
DS3 USB Driver
9. Exit ScpDriver.exe
10. Run PCSX2
11. Navigate to Config - Controllers - Plugin Settings.. (For LilyPad)
12. Attempt to assign buttons, via pressing buttons on PS3 controller, nothing.

After the failed attempt, I've rebooted and reinstalled different things, and even attempted to start fresh and see if I could get it working on my Windows 7 x64 laptop, which it would not work either. Is it because the controller is a Sixaxis and not a DualShock 3 controller? Or does it maybe have something to due with the Xbox 360 drivers only being for Windows 7 (No Windows 8 download, and it still didn't work on my Windows 7 x64 laptop)? Maybe I'm missing something or making a stupid mistake. I'm hoping I can get this to work soon (or eventually Tongue), as I've never really played PS2 games on my PC and do look forward to doing so. Also after installation Better DS3 would not detect my controller, but maybe that's because it is a Sixaxis and not a DualShock 3. Hoping someone has some tips/solutions for me. I am ready to uninstall everything and redo it fresh but I'm not going to yet because someone said somewhere in the official XInput Wrapper thread that the uninstallation order (XInput, Xbox 360 Drivers) was important. I don't know if they're wrong, but I've probably already screwed that up as I've reinstalled the stuff and uninstalled it a few times already. Finally thanks for reading.

Sponsored links

(06-28-2014, 09:16 PM)malcontents Wrote: For the past few hours I've attempted to get my PS3 controller to work with the PS2 Emulator PCSX2. Unfortunately I've had no luck getting it to work, and am wondering if I could gain some assistance/help in something that I might be doing wrong, or an error of some kind (Procedure/Installation/etc.). I will now walk through the steps that I have done a few different times, always ending in the PS3 controller not being recognized by PCSX2. I'm not sure if this makes any difference, but my PS3 controller is the Sixaxis kind, not the DualShock 3. I believe I am following the steps correctly that are listed on the XInput Wrapper thread (http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wr...Controller), but I could be making a mistake. I have also tried following the basically the same instructions found on this post (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=59385385) (The "Getting your PS3 controller to run on windows in 2 minutes w/o motionjoy reply), but to no avail. I am running Windows 8.1 x64. I am not attempting to connect the PS3 controller via bluetooth, just wired through USB. Steps I've done:
1. Download Xbox 360 drivers for Windows 7 x64 (There is no Windows 8/Windows 8.1 drivers download, is this my problem?) (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/...or-windows)
2. Run the Xbox 360 driver installation exe in compatibility mode for Windows 7
3. Plug in my PS3 Sixaxis controller via USB cord into PC
4. Download XInput Wrapper v. 1.2.0.160 and XInput Wrapper Update v. 1.2.2.175
5. Extract files from XInput Wrapper v. 1.2.0.260 in \ScpServer\bin to C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\PS3
6. Extract files from XInput Wrapper v. 1.2.2.175 in \ScpServer\bin to C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\PS3, overwriting some old versions of some files
7. Run ScpDriver.exe, grant Administrator rights, click install, do not check Force Install
8. ScpDriver.exe reports Successful Install with Install Summary: Bus Device
Bus Driver
DS3 USB Driver
9. Exit ScpDriver.exe
10. Run PCSX2
11. Navigate to Config - Controllers - Plugin Settings.. (For LilyPad)
12. Attempt to assign buttons, via pressing buttons on PS3 controller, nothing.

After the failed attempt, I've rebooted and reinstalled different things, and even attempted to start fresh and see if I could get it working on my Windows 7 x64 laptop, which it would not work either. Is it because the controller is a Sixaxis and not a DualShock 3 controller? Or does it maybe have something to due with the Xbox 360 drivers only being for Windows 7 (No Windows 8 download, and it still didn't work on my Windows 7 x64 laptop)? Maybe I'm missing something or making a stupid mistake. I'm hoping I can get this to work soon (or eventually Tongue), as I've never really played PS2 games on my PC and do look forward to doing so. Also after installation Better DS3 would not detect my controller, but maybe that's because it is a Sixaxis and not a DualShock 3. Hoping someone has some tips/solutions for me. I am ready to uninstall everything and redo it fresh but I'm not going to yet because someone said somewhere in the official XInput Wrapper thread that the uninstallation order (XInput, Xbox 360 Drivers) was important. I don't know if they're wrong, but I've probably already screwed that up as I've reinstalled the stuff and uninstalled it a few times already. Finally thanks for reading.
1st off this probably would get more attention in the DS3 tool thread than all alone,
While I work on the DS4 variant, the DS3 version shares a lot of its roots;
1) there are none because they are now included in windows
2) dont do this, keep the ones that come with windows
7) Ive alwayse had to check Force install to get it to work for me

First thing is first, does the controller get recognized when plugging in via USB at all? Does it show as a game controller?
[Image: LogoBusiness3.png]
IM 2 Beta now supporting plugins and even more devices.

Website | Forum | Donate $2 and remove ads from the tool
Yes the PS3 controller is recognized by my PC when I plug it in via USB. The first time I plug it into a new USB port, it installs the drivers for the PS3 controller as expected, and shows up in Devices as PLAYSTATION® 3 controller whenever I plug it in. [Image: DevicesandPrintersPS3Controller_zpsfa6931e6.jpg]
When plugged in, all four of the red player # lights flash on and off, like they would when plugged into a PS3 via USB cord I think.

Ok so you are saying the Xbox drivers now come with Windows 8, I did not know that, so thank you. I will uninstall the drivers for Windows 7 and the XInput wrapper, reboot, and try just reinstalling XInput Wrapper alone, although I don't remember that working because I think I tried that beforehand. Also so does the fact that the PS3 controllers I'm trying to get to work are Sixaxis ones and not DualShock 3s have anything to do with it maybe?

I will post a thread linking to this thread or something, I'm new to this forum so I wasn't quite sure where to post it.

Thanks

EDIT: Tried uninstalling Microsoft Xbox 360 drivers and XInput Wrapper, rebooted, installed XInput Wrapper, plugged in PS3 controller, still cannot assign stuff in PCSX2.
Also, I'm not sure if this was happening earlier, but after the controller is plugged in for a bit, the four lights stop flashing, although it is still recognized as the disconnected sound plays when I unplug it.
EDIT2: It seems just one of my controllers do that, as I test everything out on each controller to make sure it's not something wrong with one of the controllers. That is weird.
(06-30-2014, 05:04 PM)malcontents Wrote: Yes the PS3 controller is recognized by my PC when I plug it in via USB. The first time I plug it into a new USB port, it installs the drivers for the PS3 controller as expected, and shows up in Devices as PLAYSTATION® 3 controller whenever I plug it in. [Image: DevicesandPrintersPS3Controller_zpsfa6931e6.jpg]
When plugged in, all four of the red player # lights flash on and off, like they would when plugged into a PS3 via USB cord I think.

Ok so you are saying the Xbox drivers now come with Windows 8, I did not know that, so thank you. I will uninstall the drivers for Windows 7 and the XInput wrapper, reboot, and try just reinstalling XInput Wrapper alone, although I don't remember that working because I think I tried that beforehand. Also so does the fact that the PS3 controllers I'm trying to get to work are Sixaxis ones and not DualShock 3s have anything to do with it maybe?

I will post a thread linking to this thread or something, I'm new to this forum so I wasn't quite sure where to post it.

Thanks

EDIT: Tried uninstalling Microsoft Xbox 360 drivers and XInput Wrapper, rebooted, installed XInput Wrapper, plugged in PS3 controller, still cannot assign stuff in PCSX2.
Also, I'm not sure if this was happening earlier, but after the controller is plugged in for a bit, the four lights stop flashing, although it is still recognized as the disconnected sound plays when I unplug it.
EDIT2: It seems just one of my controllers do that, as I test everything out on each controller to make sure it's not something wrong with one of the controllers. That is weird.

First a bit of helpful information to alleviate some concerns:
-- If your controller is a genuine Sony PS3 controller and is either a sixaxis OR a dualshock 3 controller it is BOTH a sixaxis and a DS3.
-- jhebbel is completely right, windows 8 and above come with the xbox 360 controller drivers by default. (however, ONLY use force install on win XP)

There could be a few reasons why the controller isn't registering properly.

Before doing any of the steps below run ScpServer.exe and (with that still open) try assigning hotkeys in lilypad. If that works the solution is most likely very simple and a log won't be necessary (just follow steps 3 to 5 below)

In order to figure it out the full output of the install process would be helpful. When posting the log make sure you've followed these steps:

1. Uninstall the driver
2. close ScpDriver.exe
3. right click ScpDriver.exe and choose "run as administrator"
4. Make sure Force Install is NOT checked
5. click install
6. copy the entire output on that screen (should have lots of INFO tags, etc.)
7. Check to see if the controller is working
8. If it isn't working post the log in a reply here
Yes! Running ScpServer.exe, and plugging in the controller started to install Xbox 360 Drivers, and now it works in PCSX2! Thank you all for assisting me in getting this to work.
Ok so I have to have ScpServer.exe running for the controllers to be recognized, is that normal?
EDIT: Never mind I see I just need to run the installer while ScpServer.exe was running.
Thanks again.
(07-01-2014, 08:41 PM)malcontents Wrote: Ok so I have to have ScpServer.exe running for the controllers to be recognized, is that normal?

SCPServer must always run when you plan to use the controllers, this is the application that interprets the DSx input and directs it to the virtual 360 controller.
[Image: LogoBusiness3.png]
IM 2 Beta now supporting plugins and even more devices.

Website | Forum | Donate $2 and remove ads from the tool
(07-01-2014, 08:43 PM)jhebbel Wrote: SCPServer must always run when you plan to use the controllers, this is the application that interprets the DSx input and directs it to the virtual 360 controller.

Hello there!

Yes, I am new to this forum but I have been playing around with the PCSX2 (a lot!) and it has been working great so far until I stumbled on an Analog problem with DS3.

First off, I should mention that I have two versions of the PCSX2 installed on my computer right now. One is the 1.2.1 version and the other is a modded version for the PCSX2 0.9.9.r5037 compiled on Jan 23 2012. This emulator was modded to support netplay through P2P (which I think is better than the Dev9 Ethernet emulator).

Now then, I have setup my PS3 (DS3) controller on MotioninJoy as well as the XInput Wrapper. At first I was using MJ on 1.2.1 and it worked out just fine but then I wanted to play with my brother through netplay and the only way to do that was to download the modded 0.9.9 version. But before we started to play together, I wanted to make sure that all the plugins were working correctly. So, I assigned all of the controls in the Lilypad plugin and they were all working correctly but when the game starts up the Analogs are the only controls that dont work.

I then tried it on the 1.2.1 version and the Analogs were working in-game.
Both versions use the same LilyPad svn (r4959) 0.11.0 plugin. Also tried to use the other Lilypad plugins with success on 1.2.1 but failure on 0.9.9.

I also tried to assign the Analogs using WASD on the keyboard but they still did not work in 0.9.9 (they did work in 1.2.1). I noticed the XInput Wrapper (which I think is much safer than MJ) and this did not work either with the same problem re-occurring: I can assign the Analog Sticks in the Config but they do not work in-game. Can anyone help?
(07-01-2014, 04:22 AM)Relsig Wrote: First a bit of helpful information to alleviate some concerns:
-- If your controller is a genuine Sony PS3 controller and is either a sixaxis OR a dualshock 3 controller it is BOTH a sixaxis and a DS3.
-- jhebbel is completely right, windows 8 and above come with the xbox 360 controller drivers by default. (however, ONLY use force install on win XP)

There could be a few reasons why the controller isn't registering properly.

Before doing any of the steps below run ScpServer.exe and (with that still open) try assigning hotkeys in lilypad. If that works the solution is most likely very simple and a log won't be necessary (just follow steps 3 to 5 below)

In order to figure it out the full output of the install process would be helpful. When posting the log make sure you've followed these steps:

1. Uninstall the driver
2. close ScpDriver.exe
3. right click ScpDriver.exe and choose "run as administrator"
4. Make sure Force Install is NOT checked
5. click install
6. copy the entire output on that screen (should have lots of INFO tags, etc.)
7. Check to see if the controller is working
8. If it isn't working post the log in a reply here

When I run SCPDriver it does not populate with the sucessfull information (logs) like I see happening in videos and on this thread. I get 3 errors. https://imgur.com/fW5qXSG as seen here. I haven't been able to figure it out! Any suggestions?