Issues with FFX-2 speeds
Hi all,

I've done a search and tried some of the solutions I've found, but nothing so far has helped me fix this problem I'm having. While playing FFX-2 the game seems to run at around 40-42fps (80-85%) except for in menu's where it goes at full speed. Also it seems to be slower the more moving parts that are on the screen. Eg while in the ship, when looking out the front window it's slower than when in the hallway.

System Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad QQ6600
nVidia GeForce 8800GT
4GB of RAM
30GB or so of HDD space free
Running Windows 7

I've tried with both the stable release and r1888 of the beta and there doesn't seem to be much noticable difference (maybe SLIGHTlY faster in the beta version)

PCSX2 Setup (Beta version r1888):
Graphics:
GSdx 1873 (MSVC 15.00, SSSE3) 0.1.15
Resolution: 1024x768 60 Hz (On a 21" monitor, native res of 1600x900)
Render: Direct3D10 (Hardware) (though I've tried both Direct3D9 and Direct 3D11 and both Hardeware and Software versions of all three)
Interlacing: None
Aspect Ration: 4:3
D3D internal res: 1024 x 768 (Native not ticked)
SW rend. threads: 3 (when using Software modes atleast)
Texture Filtering: Grey-Checked
Allow 8-bit textures: Checked
Wait for V-Sync: Un-checked
All other settings at thier defaults, ie I havent touched them

Linuz ISO CDVD 0.9.0

Sound:
SPU2-x 1.2.0 (I doubt this is noteworthy, but figured I'd mention it incase. I'll post the config if required)

CPU:
Limit:
All Detailed Settings are set to 0

EERec - EE/IOP recompiler: Checked
VU0rec: Checked
VU1rec: Checked
microVU: Both unchecked

Multi Threaded GS mode: Checked

No speed hacks.

With the graphics settings I've played with a large number of different combinations and none seem to make too much of a difference. While the game is probably playable from what I've gathered from reading the forums my set up (in theory) should be able to play the game at full speed. Also the Opening movie goes at about 65% speed. Anyone got any ideas? Let me know if there is any more information I can throw in.

EDIT: Ack knew I forgot something. I tried FFXII and it seemed to run at full speed, atleast the opening did, havent tried going the full way to the game.

Sponsored links

Uncheck 8-bit. Also, I hope you're not running that CPU at its stock speed of 2.4GHZ, because that is fairly slow for PCSX2.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
(11-19-2009, 07:36 AM)dr_thrax Wrote: Uncheck 8-bit. Also, I hope you're not running that CPU at its stock speed of 2.4GHZ, because that is fairly slow for PCSX2.

I know it WAS overclocked to about 3GHz, but I might have actually changed that when I had to rebuild my computer after I moved and one of my HDDs failed. Will check.

EDIT: *sigh* Just checked and it IS at 2.4GHz, will change that and let you know how it works out.

EDIT2: Finally got the overclocking sorted. Sitting at 3.2GHz now (according to the BIOS). Seems to have fixed things ingame from what I can tell, or atleast vastly improved them. FMVs are better, but still sit at around 90% (+ or - 5%). Funnily enough, changing to Software rendering for these, while it drops the FPS to around 43FPS (88% or so) it's alot smoother and sounds like pretty much full speed. In short it looks like most of the problems are fixed ^^ atleast to a manageable level for playing! Thanks a bunch!
Sorry about the double post, just figure another EDIT wouldnt show up as a new post and a new problem, and I didnt want to start another thread.

After playing for abit I've found that while things are playable, battles in FFX-2 are abit slow still (around 75%) and for FFXII while the movies play perfectly, once it comes to actually controlling Reks at the beginning, the game drops to about 75%. Still using the settings listed above. Except that I've been using Direct3D11 Hardware for rendering rather than Direct3D10. Any suggestions for performance improvements?
Go back to DX10 Hardware rendering, and turn off V-Sync if you have it on. DX11 is experimental at the moment and is buggy. Not to mention that card does not support DX11 anyway. You can also try playing around with speed hacks and see which one gives you the best performance. But remember that those options lower compatibility.
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15' | Intel Core i7-4850HQ @ 2.3-3.5Ghz | Optimus Powered nVidia Geforce GT 750M (2GB GDDR5) + Intel Iris Pro Graphics | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Intel HD Audio | Apple Magic Trackpad | Samsung 512GB PCI-E Based SSD |
Dont use D3D11. It's in alpha stage, is buggy, and currently provides no performance benefits over D3D10 mode.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
Direct3D10 seems to have helped abit. It seems like the slow downs mainly come when there is alot of moving parts on the screen. Or having to see far into the distance. Some examples: 3+ mobs in a battle in FFX-2. Or looking down the street in Rabenaste in FFXII, where as if you looked at a wall in the same street it would be running at full speed. Also when first gaining control of Reks it's slow, but once you get into the fortress things seemed to be much faster. None of the speedhacks seem to have any sort of effect.

One possible isse that im not sure about, is that while my CPU is currently at 3.2GHz (355x9), the core temps are well into the 70Cs and occasionally breaking 80C. I know that with my old CPU (a P4 Prescott) that when it got quite warm the CPU effeciency went down and things got slower. I'm not sure if that might also be happening here and affecting performance, I am currently only using the stock cooler (which I probably need to replace anyway).
These temps are certainly too high. You should either back down on the OC or get a better cooler. At these temps your CPU will die pretty fast
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(11-22-2009, 02:15 PM)Bositman Wrote: These temps are certainly too high. You should either back down on the OC or get a better cooler. At these temps your CPU will die pretty fast

Yeah I'm planning on getting a new one once I get paid this week. I think my computer probably needs an upgrade in general.

In regards to the performance, been plugging through FFX-2 and while the problems havent gone away, I'm sorta used to them and they don't seem as bad. Hopefully this ends up the same once I get really started on FFXII.

Either way, thanks alot for the help so far all Smile I'll keep trying different combinations etc. Though if anyone does have any more suggestions I'd be more than happy to hear them.