Issues with GSDX AVX.
I'm pretty sure my computer should be able to use GSDX AVX, as my computer is an Acer with an AMD Quad-Core processor, model A8-3500M, an AMD Radeon HD 6740G2 graphics chip set, and the default sound chip set. It's basically a gaming laptop. The thing is, I'm getting a plugin error, even though I'm pretty sure my laptop should be able to use that plugin. Every driver is up-to-date, and I checked each individual device for driver updates. The wiki I looked at suggested that I'd be able to use an AVX plugin. The GSDX32 sse4 and SSSE3 plugins don't work, though I'd assume that's because that's an older plugin, less stable, or just plain not supported by my system, though I could be wrong. SSE2 works, but it's rather slow, and skips a lot when the sound is playing. I want a plugin where I don't have to wait about 10 seconds until an action is performed in my Dark Cloud 2 game, even from the ISO I ripped directly from my game disc.

Sponsored links

(03-30-2015, 10:52 PM)havefeith Wrote: I'm pretty sure my computer should be able to use GSDX AVX, as my computer is an Acer with an AMD Quad-Core processor, model A8-3500M, an AMD Radeon HD 6740G2 graphics chip set, and the default sound chip set. It's basically a gaming laptop. The thing is, I'm getting a plugin error, even though I'm pretty sure my laptop should be able to use that plugin. Every driver is up-to-date, and I checked each individual device for driver updates. The wiki I looked at suggested that I'd be able to use an AVX plugin. The GSDX32 sse4 and SSSE3 plugins don't work, though I'd assume that's because that's an older plugin, less stable, or just plain not supported by my system, though I could be wrong. SSE2 works, but it's rather slow, and skips a lot when the sound is playing. I want a plugin where I don't have to wait about 10 seconds until an action is performed in my Dark Cloud 2 game, even from the ISO I ripped directly from my game disc.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8...3500M.html

I don't think it does.
I wouldn't worry about it anyway. PCSX2 doesn't benefit from AVX that much in hardware mode, especially on AMD cpus.
Your CPU's STR is only 560.
That's far too weak for a demanding game like dark cloud 2

Better keep playing it on your ps2 for now...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I've also got 6 gigs of ram, so that theoretically should help. Also, if the PS2, which only has a single core processor in it, can play DC2 without issues, I should be able to do the same. But it's pretty much every game that can't be played on my PC. That might just mean I'm using the wrong Plugins. The sound doesn't skip with the ZeroGS plugin, but it's really slow. Hell, even .hack//GU Runs slowly. How the hell would a PS2 play a game like that, if my PC, which came out YEARS later can't? Also, looking at that link, I should be able to use SSE4, but it comes up with an error.

EDIT: The reason I'm adamant on using the AVX GS is because it's the recommended plugin for windows 8. I want to be able to use the emulator for streaming. On the actual PS2 system, the text is really fuzzy, but on the Emulator, I can actually read it.

EDIT 2: My CPU also apparently has "Turbo CORE Technology up to 2.4 GHz". I don't really know if that's a good thing. I'm more into actually putting computers together than figuring out the specs. I also don't know how to properly use the "Turbo CORE" thing.
(03-30-2015, 11:34 PM)havefeith Wrote: I've also got 6 gigs of ram, so that theoretically should help. Also, if the PS2, which only has a single core processor in it, can play DC2 without issues, I should be able to do the same. But it's pretty much every game that can't be played on my PC. That might just mean I'm using the wrong Plugins. The sound doesn't skip with the ZeroGS plugin, but it's really slow. Hell, even .hack//GU Runs slowly. How the hell would a PS2 play a game like that, if my PC, which came out YEARS later can't? Also, looking at that link, I should be able to use SSE4, but it comes up with an error.

Another person that thinks he has a beastly computer and knows exactly how emulation works, and it's obviously the fault of PCSX2 and the plugins. Please do your research first. Emulating Playstation 2 games is more complex than you might think. And you really can't compare it to regular PC gaming. It's far, FAR more demanding. It doesn't matter if you have 4GB RAM, 6GB RAM, or even 32GB RAM, because it really doesn't require much RAM. PS2 emulation however, greatly depends on the CPU, and expects a somewhat decent GPU if you want to run games in 3x/4x/5x (or higher) native.

Quote:EDIT: The reason I'm adamant on using the AVX GS is because it's the recommended plugin for windows 8. I want to be able to use the emulator for streaming. On the actual PS2 system, the text is really fuzzy, but on the Emulator, I can actually read it.

Where did you get this nonsense from? AVX is not a recommended plugin for Windows 8 specifically at all. AVX2 is recommended if you run a game in Software Mode. For Hardware Mode, SSE4 is generally better or very similar to AVX2 in terms of performance. AVX is somewhere inbetween, but if you have to choose between AVX or SSE4, go with SSE4. And this goes for any Windows. And this is assuming your CPU supports AVX2/SSE4 of course.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
Oh wow...

1st: Your cpu only supports SSE2 from the given plugins.

2nd: There is no WIndows8 recommended plugin. This sounds a bit like a bad youtube comfiguration guide.

3rd: Streaming at 60FPS is quite demanding and might require more than just a runnning ps2-game

4th: pcsx2 is more or less RAM independent. The ps2 has some kB or 32 MB of RAM or something like that. Adding some overhead you get something very small

5th: The ps2 is completely different to a normal pc. The architecture is completely different. pcsx2 is a LLE and therefore needs to emulate all these completely different chips inside a ps2. Since even the most simple operations on ps2 and pc are calculated in a different way you have to add a lot of cpu cycles for a single ps2 cycle. Therefore a emulating a ps2 is one of the most demanding things you can think of

6th: Your cpu is weak. It can only handle the most simple tasks. I guess you have cpu-bottlenecks with other softwares than pscx2 as well.
Again, I can't use SSE4 for some reason. Besides, I'd rather just play the game on my computer, and be able to read the text, as opposed to figuring out the specs and sh*t like that. Besides, I never said I have a "beastly" computer, in fact, it's at least 2-3 years old. It can play games like ME3 just fine (IE, no slow down), so I'm having trouble understanding why simple PS2 games aren't working properly. No need to be rude.

Edit: Sorry, I was typing all that out while you posted willkuer. I as directing that at Ryudo.
You can consider it rude, but I still gave you an explanation on things.

Fact remains that your system is too weak for PS2 emulation. And again, you can't compare it to PC gaming. (See will's #5 on that).
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(03-30-2015, 11:44 PM)willkuer Wrote: Oh wow...

1st: Your cpu only supports SSE2 from the given plugins.

2nd: There is no WIndows8 recommended plugin. This sounds a bit like a bad youtube comfiguration guide.

3rd: Streaming at 60FPS is quite demanding and might require more than just a runnning ps2-game

4th: pcsx2 is more or less RAM independent. The ps2 has some kB or 32 MB of RAM or something like that. Adding some overhead you get something very small

5th: The ps2 is completely different to a normal pc. The architecture is completely different. pcsx2 is a LLE and therefore needs to emulate all these completely different chips inside a ps2. Since even the most simple operations on ps2 and pc are calculated in a different way you have to add a lot of cpu cycles for a single ps2 cycle. Therefore a emulating a ps2 is one of the most demanding things you can think of

6th: Your cpu is weak. It can only handle the most simple tasks. I guess you have cpu-bottlenecks with other softwares than pscx2 as well.

On the sixth point, some programs, but not many, do slow down, though *supposedly* that was due to bad sectors on my HDD (that is the proper abbreviation for Hard Drive, correct?). This is according to my Father who puts together high-end computers (that I really can't afford, now that I'm paying off a student loan, while having no job). I had to re-install windows, which now seems to be fast on my computer. I honestly haven't had many problems with my CPU shooting up to 99% very often.

On the rest of the points, I had no clue. Guess I gotta try to save up for an actual Desktop computer, rather than this old laptop. I'd rather be able to switch out parts, I just bought this laptop because I had nothing else. It was recommended that I buy a PC for the course I was taking. All I wanted to do was become a beta tester for games, but I was told I need a degree in programming games first.
(03-30-2015, 11:58 PM)havefeith Wrote: All I wanted to do was become a beta tester for games

I think this is the dream of every young boy...

A notebook that handles pcsx2 costs probably around $1000 or more.
A desktop that handles pcsx2 costs around $500 or more.

So if you really want to emulate don't buy more notebooks.