Just bought a new computer and need help...
Again, if you replace the CPU or MB, you void the warranty. Seriously not worth it. Either return the PC and build a new custom one or just stick to what he has and get a decent GPU.

Sponsored links

And if you stick with that CPU, there will be games you can not emulate well.

Also, returning it could result in a restocking fee, right?

It's not a perfect situation. A "pick your poison" kind of thing. As I said initially, I would just stick with it and get a good GPU. Yes, the GTX 460 will do great.
True, but even if he upgrades to a $300 Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz, there are still going to be games it won't play well. The improvement's just not enough to justify the cost. Heck, even if he had bought Sandy Bridge, if it's stuck at stock, it's still going to have issues with some games (although with Turbo, those should be few). His CPU isn't so bad though. There are people who make do with much less.

Restocking fee, depends on where you bought it from. Newegg, yes.

Max GPU, I'd suggest is a GTS 450 or HD 5770 until we know what PSU is on that thing. If he has to replace the PSU, he's probably better off eating the restocking fee and getting a better build altogether.
(05-11-2011, 07:46 PM)ilovejedd Wrote: True, but even if he upgrades to a $300 Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz, there are still going to be games it won't play well. The improvement's just not enough to justify the cost. Heck, even if he had bought Sandy Bridge, if it's stuck at stock, it's still going to have issues with some games (although with Turbo, those should be few). His CPU isn't so bad though. There are people who make do with much less.

Yes, I agree with the CPU upgrade (as if one couldn't Smile). There is nothing as cost effective and benefitial as OCing. On the thought of still having some games unplayable, there's still games that aren't too awful playable @ 5.0Ghz. There will always be games you can't play.

I wouldn't count on Turbo too much IMHO. It isn't working as it should on my end...

(05-11-2011, 07:46 PM)ilovejedd Wrote: Max GPU, I'd suggest is a GTS 450 or HD 5770 until we know what PSU is on that thing. If he has to replace the PSU, he's probably better off eating the restocking fee and getting a better build altogether.

An excellent point. Perhaps Darkhadou10 should take a look at that, and let us know what he's working with. It probably is sub-par, and a GTX 460 could be pushing it a bit.

[Takes a closer look]

Yeah, that's a 300W PSU. And almost certainly not a good one. Sending that thing back is looking better and better...
I'm not even sure if you can change the motherboard in the first place.
Dell uses proprietary cases and a normal ATX motherboard will most likely not align correctly with the port holes in the case.

Go for the refund or stick with what you have and just upgrade the gpu like people recommended.
(05-12-2011, 03:48 AM)jusama14 Wrote: I'm not even sure if you can change the motherboard in the first place.
Dell uses proprietary cases and a normal ATX motherboard will most likely not align correctly with the port holes in the case.

Go for the refund or stick with what you have and just upgrade the gpu like people recommended.

Do they still use BTX form factor boards? Or is it like really proprietary nowadays?
(05-12-2011, 04:41 AM)ilovejedd Wrote: Do they still use BTX form factor boards? Or is it like really proprietary nowadays?

It's pretty proprietary, I used to have a dell that had no PS/2 ports lol.
That motherboard failed and Dell sent me a new one, and that one did have them but the layout was different compared to the case (the case didn't have holes for the PS/2 ports either). So I had to send that back and they finally gave me one that would fit.