Just curious - why pcsx2 need the image to not be used?
There is not ease way to select the ISO to "none" in "Iso selector" too, once one is selected for the first time.

One suggestion is removing the "Iso" option completely and make the "Plugin" option toggling, this could come with a warning the plugin should be used only in special cases. The "Plugin" option being disabled by default, of course.

The "No disc" option is useful and I don't see it as cause of confusion, it must be kept.

A warning pointing to use the "Iso Selector" will help a lot too.

PS: with the above, the two boxes ("Plugin" and "No disc") are not mutually exclusive anymore. Of course he who have "no disc" enabled and can't play the game and brings the issue to the forum, should be rewarded with the crown of "N00B Maximus".

Thinking better, graying out the "Plugin" if "No Disc" is enabled seems good idea...
Imagination is where we are truly real

Sponsored links

When the internal reader can do blockdumps, ill stop using linuziso Tongue2
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Good point, for that reason alone the Plugin option must not be discarded. But for most users the internal reader is enough and flexible to use.
So, ref, want me to disable the plugin [sub]menu when the internal reader is on? Or another idea for less confusion?
Disabling one when the other is being used is a sane idea to minimize conflict possibilities. And "No disc" disables both (well, just pass no disc to the bios but the idea is clear)...

But I notice you told the plugin option (actually the box)... no, the idea is to keep it accessible, just the option being disabled (as in the box not ticked) means the internal reader is automatically being used. But if "No disc" is enabled, is sensible the plugin box being grayed out.

Edited: to make clear differentiation between the option and the box function.

As I see it, the "Iso" box is not only redundant and not cecessary as it is the main cause of confusion.

PS: Notice I want not to define what should be the "hint" following the "Plugin" box, a suggestion could be "Use plugin only when necessary" but of course someone can find better wording.

What I think really useful is a clear warning pointing the "Iso selector" is to be used with the internal reader.
I still use linuziso myself. I like being reminded each time I run pcsx2 to tell it which game I want to run.

perhaps a memory tool for the internal loader as well? (as in "remember selected iso? y/n" so in the ini rememberiso=0 or something)

that's the #1 reason I don't use the internal one
(04-15-2011, 05:19 PM)avih Wrote: So, ref, want me to disable the plugin [sub]menu when the internal reader is on? Or another idea for less confusion?

I think thats the plan yeah Smile makes more sense than the switching automatically to the internal reader thing. I mean, what if they used the internal iso reader last and then wanted to use the plugin and forgot to change it? That feature kinda wouldnt make sense (altho i can see the thought behind it)
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

I think the "automatically" word was misunderstood in my post, I meant the emulator fallback to internal CDVD reader "If" the "plugin" box is ticked off, otherwise it keeps using the plugin as intended.

The point is only that "Iso" box is misguiding and confusing, actually redundant. It's to be expected the emulator will be reading an image from somewhere all the time... Unless "No Disc" is explicitly enabled.

In fact it is about replacing 3 radio buttons by 2 checkbox, counting the "No Disc".

PS: The space occupied by the "iso" button can be used to state: Use Iso selector to mount your game.

If not for any other reason, the internal reader is quicker and easier to change games than Linuz plugin, and probably preferable to mounting images on virtual drivers for Megaherz.
(04-15-2011, 07:27 PM)refraction Wrote: I think thats the plan yeah Smile makes more sense than the switching automatically to the internal reader thing. I mean, what if they used the internal iso reader last and then wanted to use the plugin and forgot to change it? That feature kinda wouldnt make sense (altho i can see the thought behind it)
What if they wanted to run pcsx2.exe but forgot?? Smile

Also, my suggestion actually keeps the "auto switch to internal" when you select an ISO via the internal iso selector.

For terminology: We have 2 sub menus ("Iso Selector" and "Plugin Menu") and a radio button with 3 options (Iso, Plugin, No-disc).

Current behavior is that both sub menus are always enabled, If you're on "Plugin" and then select the ISO button or select a specific ISO via the Iso Selector, it switches to internal. But if you're on internal, only click on the "Plugin" radio button switches to plugin (changing the iso mounted at the plugin doesn't switch to plugin).

My suggested change is that whenever the internal ISO is current, disable the plugin submenu (because the plugin submenu doesn't affect pcsx2 immediately when used). That's it, nothing less, nothing more.

The only functionality that will be removed is changing the disc mounted at the plugin while the plugin is unused, for the sake of less confusion (irrelevant plugin sub menu when using internal) and promotion and direction of the users towards the internal reader.

K, that's too much talk Smile. I'll make the change and let's see if it feels better.
Done (r4578). Let me know what you think.