Kingdom Hearts 2 60fps Weirdness! (SOLVED)
(ISSUE SOLVED BY TOTALLY WIPING ALL PCSX2 SETTINGS)

Okay, so I love me some spectacle fighters, and the 30fps lock in KH2 always saddened me (even if it is a very solid and smooth 30fps). I recently discovered there are 60fps hacks for the game, but to my dismay when loading the one from the Widescreen Hack Archive (and others) there seem to be odd dips down to 30fps (specifically 30fps, it's not linear. It just goes straight to 30). Weirdly, game speed is registered still at 100%, as is the framerate diagnostic displaying at 60fps constantly. Initially I thought this was just a hardware requirements issue, but having an overkill computer like my own (And noticing not even 15% of my GPU was being utilized) I dug a little deeper.

So here's what I know, the game dips back to 30fps, even though the emulator diagnostic says it is running at 60fps. The dips seemed to be either caused by more graphical load or specific graphical effects (Looking at the cornerstone of light (Or more specifically the soft lighting around it on the floor) causes a dip, but it should be easy to render, but at the same time, a group of enemies causes the framerate to also drop right back to 30, anything more than 1 or 2), speedhacks and using more efficient renderers improve how often it remains at 60fps, yet downscaling the game back to lower resolutions (including native) have 0 effect on its performance - this was the biggest flag for me that it was not hardware-related. None of my resources are being topped out or even significantly strained (roughly 50% CPU and 10-15% GPU) while running the game. Ontop of all of this, I have looked up some footage of others using this hack on YouTube and they experience a buttery 60 through gameplay, cutscenes, you-name-it.

So ultimately I think there either must be some odd setting enabled somewhere causing this, or it's straight up a version or driver related bug. The question is, if, and how, can I fix it. At this point, I'm at the limit of my troubleshooting know-how and don't really know what else to do. so I thought I'd consult the experts. Relevant information regarding my specs, the version of PCSX2 I am running, the .pnach I am running, and the ISO version I am running can be found below:

Specs:
Core i5 4670K @ 4.2GHZ
MSI Z97 SLI Krait Ed. ATX Motherboard
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400
MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming 4G
250GB Samsung 850 Evo
2TB 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda

Versions:
PCSX2: 1.4.0
ISO: Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix (NTSC-J) (+English Patch)
.pnach - In the Widescreen Patch Archive, under 'Other useful patches', the KH2 60fps hack+x/o swap+map version. Found here
Emulation Settings are set to Preset 3 then unlocked and more aggressive speedhacks are applied

Sponsored links

Translation patches tend to change your game CRC. Does it work if you launch your original kh2 DVD without applying the translation patch ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(07-30-2016, 06:05 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Translation patches tend to change your game CRC. Does it work if you launch your original kh2 DVD without applying the translation patch ?

It does, it changes it to the US CRC, editing the filename to the US CRC causes the hack to load (all the other features function as normal) but it would dip in and out of 30 and 60fps depending on what was on the screen.

However, a total wipe of PCSX2 settings has fixed the problem. There must've been a setting buried in some menu that was causing a compatibility problem with the hack, maybe something the tier 3 preset enables (by default, it's set to tier 2)