Kingdom Hearts II (60fps patched) - How to speed up gameplay?
Hello. This is my first fourm post, this may not be of great quality, or the subject may be somewhat pointless, So please, nothing negative.
How do I increase my performance in Kingdom Hearts II with the 60fps patch applied? Without the patch, the ingame framerate is 30fps, even though PCSX2 says it's running at 60fps. After A little bit of work and effort to get the 60fps patch to work on Windows 8, my FPS is dropping much more now, Why? I Always assumed PCSX2 was running 60fps, and it was just rendering nonexistant frames for games running at 30fps, but now I know this isn't the case, PCSX2 Actually does run at 30fps on 30fps games, this threw me off since PCSX2 said it was running at 60fps. Now the point is, how can I get back up to 60fps with the patch on, without any overclocking?

Here are my system specs:
CPU: AMD A8-6500 APU with Radeon HD graphics @3.5GHz
RAM: 8GB (7.19 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating system, x64-based processor
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8570D @800MHz, Memory clock on GPU is also 800MHz
(I'm not sure what kind of motherboard I have though.)

Sponsored links

Without the patch, PCSX2 was reporting the virtual 60 FPS which represents full speed. When you apply the patch, you are in fact doubling the workload and as a result, your CPU can't handle it. You'd better stick to playing it without the patch.
Oh. Knowing i'll never be able to run the game at true 60fps, is there A non-PCSX2 version of the patch that works on real consoles?
(Basically, A Gameshark 2/Action Replay MAX/Codebreaker code that forces the game to run at 60fps on A real Playstation 2.)
Also, would applying the widescreen patch and english Final Mix patch only slow down the game further?
I Really do want to play Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix in english sometime before Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 HD ReMix comes out.
(12-29-2013, 07:38 PM)Zack-silvia Wrote: Oh. Knowing i'll never be able to run the game at true 60fps, is there A non-PCSX2 version of the patch that works on real consoles?
(Basically, A Gameshark 2/Action Replay MAX/Codebreaker code that forces the game to run at 60fps on A real Playstation 2.)
Also, would applying the widescreen patch and english Final Mix patch only slow down the game further?
I Really do want to play Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix in english sometime before Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 HD ReMix comes out.

It's kinda the same problem. The real PS2 hardware is no more capable of running it at that rate than your PC.

Widescreen patch will cause extra workload - I think.
English patch shouldn't affect it.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Oh, Never mind the Widescreen patch, I Guess.
As for the Final Mix patch, I Think I saw this post on tumblr showing A comparsion,
with normal Kingdom Hearts II, Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, and Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMix.
I Think Final Mix alone has more detailed textures than the normal version, from what I remember.
Also, Does PCSX2 emulate slowdown and frameskipping from real PS2 consoles even with EE Cyclerate and VU Cycle stealing set to default?
In one of the cutscenes in The Land of Dragons, where Sora confronts Shaun-lu (I Think that's his name?) at the top of the summit, When he commands the heartless to attack Sora,
Well. . . PCSX2 says the game is currently running at 50fps, but it looks more like 25fps or 20fps at this one short moment.
Does PCSX2 still emulate some of the PS2 framerate drops? Because I Also remember in the classic Kingdom Hearts, very first released game,
when you destroy the . . . Whatever that giant heartless is called that you encounter near the start of End of the World,
the game slows down severely like it's A real PS2, even though PCSX2 says it's running full speed.
First of all, you need to understand the difference between the FPS PCSX2 reports and "real" fps. 60/50 at the top for NTSC/PAL means you are running full speed. Like it would on a PS2. Most games don't run at 60fps on PS2 - that's the vfps. The rfps is the real speed the game is running at. Might be 30 or less fps.

Okay, this is getting complicated. If it says 60 for NTSC/ 50 for PAL in the bar, you are running at PS2 speed. But that's not the FPS of the actual video out. Hmmm. How to explain this.

Anyway, if you use VU cycle stealing it's possible that gets all screwy. You might show 60fps in the title bar but be running really slow. That's why we say VU stealing gives false FPS.

To answer your question: Also, Does PCSX2 emulate slowdown and frameskipping from real PS2 consoles even with EE Cyclerate and VU Cycle stealing set to default?

Yes. It doesn't do anything special to emulate that, it just emulates the PS2 and if that's how the game behaved on the PS2, that's how it will behave on PCSX2. But speedhacks can change that.

Wow, I floundered around all over here. Hopefully someone can do better. I know it in my head but putting this into words without using super technical terms is like... wow.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Nah, You did decent at explaining it, You tried your best.
Although it's disappointing that PCSX2 will emulate slowdown and frameskipping that real PS2s have, I Know if you change the vaule of the EE Cyclerate or VU Cycle stealing,
The emulator itself speeds up, But the FPS of the game drops, as if you underclocked A PS2.
Although, like someone else said, What about A feature that lets us move the slider backwards and increase the emulated EE Cyclerate speed? Like A 33% EE Overclock,
and then to A 50% EE Overclock, to get better ingame framerate for resource intensive PS2 games? I Think this would make other, differently-programmed PS2 games run too fast.
(12-29-2013, 08:48 PM)Zack-silvia Wrote: The emulator itself speeds up, But the FPS of the game drops, as if you underclocked A PS2.

Because that's exactly what you did. EE cycle rate reduced the EE cycle rate - effectively underclocks the EE.

VU stealing I believe works by stealing cycles from the EE.

EE cycle rate along usually won't cause slowdown. VU cycle stealing is a hack that I usually only recommend in a few special cases.

Is it possible for you to do an overclock on that CPU? I would think you could hit 4ghz on it pretty easily.
Well, Before I answer the last question, let me respond to the first line of that reply.
The EE cycle rate's vaule is set to default - The one that says that it closely matches the PS2 Emotion Engine's speed.
VU Cycle stealing is also disabled. These are the fastest ingame settings, but slows down PCSX2's framerate A little bit, I Think.
Well, I Can't really overclock the CPU, the BIOS doesn't give me an option to do so.
I Think it's because the BIOS or motherboard I have. (The PC I have is the HP Pavilion 500, Model number 500-164.)
Although, using MSI Afterburner, I overclocked my GPUs by 100MHz, although I can't OC the video memory.
What should I set the EE Cyclerate / VU Cycle stealing vaules to, to speed up PCSX2 while not causing too much ingame slowdown with the 60fps patch on?
(As we speak, the normal version of Kingdom Hearts II is running, not the Final Mix version, and the game is 60fps patched, as I said.)
(12-29-2013, 08:48 PM)Zack-silvia Wrote: Nah, You did decent at explaining it, You tried your best.
Although it's disappointing that PCSX2 will emulate slowdown and frameskipping that real PS2s have, I Know if you change the vaule of the EE Cyclerate or VU Cycle stealing,
The emulator itself speeds up, But the FPS of the game drops, as if you underclocked A PS2.
Although, like someone else said, What about A feature that lets us move the slider backwards and increase the emulated EE Cyclerate speed? Like A 33% EE Overclock,
and then to A 50% EE Overclock, to get better ingame framerate for resource intensive PS2 games? I Think this would make other, differently-programmed PS2 games run too fast.

I've read a few posts on here of doing just that; emulating an overclock. I have no idea if it's actually being worked on, though... or if and when it will be implemented.