Kingdom Hearts II (60fps patched) - How to speed up gameplay?
Well, the internal monitor resolution explains why the picture looks like it's 1980X1980 instead of 2300X2300.
As for MSAA, I Feel like that would just crash PCSX2 for me if I was playing at 1080p resolution, windowed or fullscreen.
When I played on A Nintendo 64 emulator (On A older PC than this one), 1964 UltraFast v3 to be exact, When I tried out Super Mario 64 in A fullscreen resolution of 1980X1080, 10x or so anisotropic filtering, HD Texture pack, and 4x Anti-alising, The computer slowed down. That told something to me, MSAA can be really intense on A PC.
But N64 has simple graphics, PCSX2 must be far more intensive on the same settings than A N64 emulator.
But to get A PC that can completely max out the settings on PCSX2 without any slowdown? That would cost thousands of dollars, wouldn't it?
If you had A PC that can max out PCSX2, highest possible settings, that would be the kind of PC that pretty much responds to the "Can it run Crysis?" question as "Yes".

Sponsored links

MSAA is demanding. VERY demanding. It works with most games in PCSX2, but your computer can't handle it.

My computer can run any game made on high or ultra and keep good FPS. But emulation is a different story, since it automatically bogs the CPU down by being CPU intensive. Then add crazy graphics processing over that... and you need a beast to play well. I am happy with how mine performs. Right now I'm playing Burnout 3, at 3x, with no MSAA. I get 58-60 FPS. The graphics settings don't cause that. Higher graphics settings cause more slowdown, but less and it's still 58-60. It's all about finding the sweet spot.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Huh. . . Must be satisfied with your PC. But as we speak, Computers seem to get more powerful by the minute,
Like, for example, people are talking about some "Intel core i9", GTX 790 and GTX Titan Ultra coming soon, DDR4 RAM coming out in early 2014, ETC.
Do you think PCSX2, at the moment, would support such new PC parts like these?
And would the PCSX2 developers do something about it if these things aren't supported?
i9? Really? What the hell would an i9 be lol?

PCSX2 will run on those things just find, and run as fast as it can.

If a new tech comes out that makes available optimizations that can make the emulation faster (Like SSE, AVX, etc) then that stuff usually gets implemented.

GTX 790... lol because Nvidia got knocked off the top by the r9 290x? Probably.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Well. . . Intel core i9. . . I Assume it would be faster than the i7? I Don't know.
I'm pretty sure Nvidia just cares about making modern PCs faster before everyone else does.
Why else would the GTX 780 be A beast of A expensive GPU? But DDR4 RAM at least makes sense.
It requires less voltage (1.2v instead of DDR3's 1.5v), draining A laptop's battery less. . . The RAM capicity increases, allowing the max to be 64GB RAM rather than today's 32GB RAM. . . .
And the RAM runs at A clock speed that's twice as fast as DDR3 RAM (DDR3 runs at 1GHz about, so DDR4 will run at 2.1GHz, as it says on the Crucial website.). . . It also runs cooler.
In fact, DDR4 RAM has already been produced. With the way it sounds, do you think DDR4 RAM will further boost PCSX2's performance and capibilities?
Clock speed is not everything with ram. Timing is important too. CAS latency the most, but the others too. The voltage thing is important though.

If you have an APU then faster ram might help PCSX2. Otherwise, current RAM is plenty fast enough not to bottleneck pcsx2.
Yeah, i'm pretty sure I have an APU. I Know 8GB of RAM alone is already enough, PCSX2 doesn't lag out at all when I go to another program like Google Chrome and then back to PCSX2 later.
When DDR4 RAM Actually is released, do you intend on upgrading to it right away? Or are you fine enough with DDR3 RAM at the moment?
Haha... I have like no money. Before this PC I built two months ago, my rig was an Athlon 64 3700+ and Radeon X850XT with 1 GB DDR ram.

This PC will need to last at least 5 years. My board doesn't support DDR4 anyway. So I'd have to upgrade that too. And my CPU. Basically a whole new build.

See with an APU, your graphics RAM is system RAM. System RAM is much less optimal and slower for graphics than VRAM on the card. The effective rate of the GDDR5 SDRAM on my 7870 for instance, is 5200 mhz with my overclock. 4800mhz stock. And it sits right on the card by the gpu and is connected directly to the GPU core.
Wow. I Didn't realise that graphics RAM means so much more. Back when I overclocked my system RAM on my older, now broken computer,
I Overclocked my 1GB of DDR2 RAM from 667MHz to 800MHz. Not much benefit was seen.
The only things I felt like that happened is that games like Minecraft appeared smoother, Kingdom Hearts I on PCSX2 also felt smoother, strangely enough, even though PCSX2 wasn't going any faster. Only when I overclocked the GPU's video RAM did I notice improvement.
The improvement was most obvious in action-oriented MMORPGs like Spiral Knights, but moderate improvements were also seen in other games, mainly emulators like Dolphin or PCSX2.
Is overclocking the GPU itself as effective? When I overclocked the GPU in MSI Afterburner, Things didn't look much different.
(But please take into consideration that, this is A pre-built PC, from HP to be exact. I'm not sure if overclocking works on A PC like this.)
(12-30-2013, 12:44 AM)Zack-silvia Wrote: Wow. I Didn't realise that graphics RAM means so much more. Back when I overclocked my system RAM on my older, now broken computer,
I Overclocked my 1GB of DDR2 RAM from 667MHz to 800MHz. Not much benefit was seen.
The only things I felt like that happened is that games like Minecraft appeared smoother, Kingdom Hearts I on PCSX2 also felt smoother, strangely enough, even though PCSX2 wasn't going any faster. Only when I overclocked the GPU's video RAM did I notice improvement.
The improvement was most obvious in action-oriented MMORPGs like Spiral Knights, but moderate improvements were also seen in other games, mainly emulators like Dolphin or PCSX2.
Is overclocking the GPU itself as effective? When I overclocked the GPU in MSI Afterburner, Things didn't look much different.
(But please take into consideration that, this is A pre-built PC, from HP to be exact. I'm not sure if overclocking works on A PC like this.)

First of all, that's why Sony stuck GDDR5 in the PS4. PS4 uses an APU as well, so they made system RAM GDDR5 to speed that up.

If the clocks actually set, then yes it works. However, a small overclock like you said 100mhz I think? You won't notice much from that. The APU is already slow. But like my card - I OC the core from 1000mhz to 1300 mhz. That's a 30% increase and it will run 30% faster.

Basically, Overclocking the memory doesn't do too much. And it causes stability problems in lots of cases. For me, First I overclock the CPU, then the graphics core. Maybe a tiny overclock on the graphics mem(1200 -> 1300 in this case). I tried to tighten the timings for my system ram, or even bump it by a few mhz, but it all caused crashing. So I left the memory alone.

On my old PC, the Athlon 3700+, I did have my regular DDR OC. That cpu didn't have an unlocked multiplier, so I had to overclock via the FSB. I upped the FSB to... I forget, something like 240. I dropped the FSB/DRAM divider to compensate, otherwise the memory was set WAY too fast.

In the end, I had a 2.2ghz CPU at 2.7(I left it at 2.6 for longevity though). DRAM was running at 233 I think(normal 200). Hyper Transport wound up underclocked, normal was 1ghz, it wan at 960 I think.

Overclocking via the FSB overclocks everything attached - CPU, RAM, and if you can't "split" it, PCIe. Overclocking via multiplier is much easier. My cpu is 20.5 x 200 right now. I can set it 22.5*200 and hit 4.5ghz, but I have to bump the voltage and the heat gets too intense for stock cooler.