Kings Field 4 Major Bugs.
Hi i think this goes here if not i apologize.

So my KF4 did work just fine, then i foolishly messed around with some settings and forgot what i changed and now sometimes when i open a door it will just be a black void and if i try to walk through the door i fall and die. Other times ill go through a doorway turn around to get out and find myself stuck by in invisible wall preventing me from leaving the room.

So uhh yea that about sums it up, thanks for any help you can provide.

Sponsored links

Not a bug report, moving to support
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-4QDP5N4
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model GL502VT
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU ASUS-NotebookSKU
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. GL502VT.300, 6/14/2016
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.192"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 11.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 7.28 GB
Total Virtual Memory 13.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 8.54 GB

PCSX2 1.4.0

I Changed my EE to nearest.

Kingsfield 4 ISO
Hi. Smile I seemed to have fixed my own problem by switching my EE to nearest. Thanks for your time.
Can you try the latest dev build and see if the issue still occurs? Also, did you have Automatic Gamefixes enabled?

https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
^this. When I played KF4 using a dev build I didn't have to change EE to nearest for this not to happen.
Well the GameDB for this game is a mess (no consitency whatsoever. It's either "King's Field 4", "King's Field IV", or "King's Field IV - The Ancient City")

Regardless, there's no gamefixes for any of the regions so it must be resolved in 1.5.0.
I think the problem with the black rectangle where a door should be, is actually a bug in the game.  Someone posted the bug on youtube way back in 2009:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQuTx-7PlwA&t=81 Note that the known workaround is to set EE/FPU rounding to "Negative" before going near the bottom of the staircase shown around 81 seconds into that youtube video. When you get to the top and open the door and see that it has loaded as usual, you can switch EE/FPU rounding back to "Chop/Zero".

I have just today, found a tiny code change for the US version of the game (SLUS-20318) that I believe fixes this bug.
I describe the pnach for it in a post here:  https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/431...y/77030786

For the PCSX2 devs:
I don't think PCSX2 is doing anything incorrect in the emulation--I think the issue is just that the PS2 didn't have IEEE-754-compliant floating point, and the x86 chips running PCSX2 do.  Its trying to compare player's vertical position with the top of an object's bounding volume (the object being a loading trigger you walk on), and in the emulator with EE/FPU round set to anything other than "Negative", the two floats are bitwise-identical.  And its comparing them with c.lt.s instead of c.le.s, so the player is treated as "not inside the box" even though he is exactly standing on the top edge of the box.  For most of the trigger volumes in the game, they had a slightly different Y coordinate than the normal floors you walk on, so a "less than" comparison works.  And on original PS2 hardware, it apparently worked for the buggy trigger too--probably because the math it did caused some truncation or rounding somewhere which is a little different than IEEE-754, and just by fluke, ended up actually computing a top for the bounding box where this "less than" comparison could succeed.  Anyway, my patch changes the comparison to c.le.s and from what I can tell, that area now loads correctly with EE/FPU round set to "Chop/Zero" or "Nearest".  I still have more testing to do to confirm it doesn't break anything else in the game, and then I will make an equivalent patch for the Europe version.
(09-23-2018, 05:39 AM)wgarvin Wrote: I think the problem with the black rectangle where a door should be, is actually a bug in the game.  Someone posted the bug on youtube way back in 2009:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQuTx-7PlwA&t=81     Note that the known workaround is to set EE/FPU rounding to "Negative" before going near the bottom of the staircase shown around 81 seconds into that youtube video.  When you get to the top and open the door and see that it has loaded as usual, you can switch EE/FPU rounding back to "Chop/Zero".

I have just today, found a tiny code change for the US version of the game (SLUS-20318) that I believe fixes this bug.
I describe the pnach for it in a post here:  https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/431...y/77030786

For the PCSX2 devs:
I don't think PCSX2 is doing anything incorrect in the emulation--I think the issue is just that the PS2 didn't have IEEE-754-compliant floating point, and the x86 chips running PCSX2 do.  Its trying to compare player's vertical position with the top of an object's bounding volume (the object being a loading trigger you walk on), and in the emulator with EE/FPU round set to anything other than "Negative", the two floats are bitwise-identical.  And its comparing them with c.lt.s instead of c.le.s, so the player is treated as "not inside the box" even though he is exactly standing on the top edge of the box.  For most of the trigger volumes in the game, they had a slightly different Y coordinate than the normal floors you walk on, so a "less than" comparison works.  And on original PS2 hardware, it apparently worked for the buggy trigger too--probably because the math it did caused some truncation or rounding somewhere which is a little different than IEEE-754, and just by fluke, ended up actually computing a top for the bounding box where this "less than" comparison could succeed.  Anyway, my patch changes the comparison to c.le.s and from what I can tell, that area now loads correctly with EE/FPU round set to "Chop/Zero" or "Nearest".  I still have more testing to do to confirm it doesn't break anything else in the game, and then I will make an equivalent patch for the Europe version.

You sir are amazing!  I will be doing as you said and enjoying the emulation...good bye capture card/ps2.  Wish From Software would read this thread so they could figure out the fix and release it on the Playstation network like they did eternal ring.  You have made an old King's Fielder very happy this day!