[LIST] The Most CPU-Intensive Games
(02-29-2016, 02:13 AM)refraction Wrote: its when the EE is pegged at 99% we worry, 80% is not cpu intensive. unless the VU (in MTVU) is pegged at 99% instead. GS at 99% could be a number of factors so we don't really count that.

Well, In software mode my CPU (i5 4690) goes to about 100% on all cores (and FPS began to drop), so I do think it is CPU intensive.

Sponsored links

Software mode is CPU intensive, regardless of game, that is no metric for measuring a game by.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

<snip>
Just wanted to chime in real quick and mention that I managed to get ATV Offroad Fury 3 to run with an EXTREMELY lowered cpu usage. After getting the latest 1.5 update and messing around with a few settings I managed to get it to run at a constant full speed and lower the cpu usage down from 100% to only around 59%. This was running in OpenGL Hardware mode using a 660ti and 3570k processsor with a mild underclock. Before whenever there was more than one rider on screen the performance would drop severely and the CPU load would shoot up.

Changes: EE cycle rate set to -2, set VU cycle stealing to 1 (HUGE speedup, doesn't break the game like in 1.4), then for some reason setting the texture filtering to billinear forced and mipmapping to Basic (fast) also resulted in a huge speedup and lower cpu load despite only affecting the gpu. I can't really explain why this caused the performance to jump so much but I'm not complaining.

Edit: Also the EE% dropped from 100% to around 50% after applying these changes
I'm trying to run as many (good) japanese PS2 games as I can on a computer that has an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2,40GHz, 8GBs RAM, and an AMD Radeon HD 5700 series, and to my surprise, I'm very limited by the number of titles that run more or less decently, when this PC hardly has a problem running most Gamecube games (with Dolphin), or Dreamcast (with Flycast) games I feed it. Heck, for what very few original XBox titles I more or less managed to run (with Cxbx Reloaded), they run better! Castlevania Curse of Darkness for example.

How come? They were consoles of approximately the same power, though? Is it due to the PS2 being allegedly hard to develop for?
(09-30-2023, 02:34 PM)vince16 Wrote: I'm trying to run as many (good) japanese PS2 games as I can on a computer that has an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2,40GHz, 8GBs RAM, and an AMD Radeon HD 5700 series, and to my surprise, I'm very limited by the number of titles that run more or less decently, when this PC hardly has a problem running most Gamecube games (with Dolphin), or Dreamcast (with Flycast) games I feed it. Heck, for what very few original XBox titles I more or less managed to run (with Cxbx Reloaded), they run better! Castlevania Curse of Darkness for example.

How come? They were consoles of approximately the same power, though? Is it due to the PS2 being allegedly hard to develop for?

Not the same architecture
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go