Lag problem. Not sure how to fix.
Hi, this is my first post so please excuse me for being an extreme noob with pcsx2. Anyway it looks like my PS2 is about to take a dirt nap and I thought I would try out an emulator for it. So I went through last night and looked over the guide and tried to set it up. Everything seemed to be going fine until the time for actual game play. In the menu I got a good fps but once I started to play the Lag was a big problem making the game unplayable.

Here are my system specs ect

CPU: Intel Core i7 860 stock
Motherboard: P55M-UD2
Ram: 4GB
GPU: HD6870 (XFX HD-687A-ZNFC)
Direct x Driver: 9.0C (4.09.0000.0904)
PCSX2 Version 1.0
Game: Hot Shots Golf Fore!

I am running the game from an .iso so I doubt that is the problem. My system I would think would be powerful enough to run most games at a decent fps. What I was getting was around 17-40 depending on the settings I played around with. Most of the time though it was in the high 20's or low 30's. I figured it has to do with either my settings or Windows XP. I don't know if the fact that I have to use direct x 9 could be my issue. I really don't want to upgrade my OS right now, even though I probably should in the future to run a 64bit OS.

Here are pictures of my settings

EE/IOP

VUs

GS

GS WINDOW

Speedhacks

Gamefixes

Plugins/Hardware Settings

Software Settings

FPS

If anybody has any suggestions as to what I might be able to do then please let me know. So far Hot Shots Golf is the only game I have tried and I wouldn't think it would be the most intensive game so I haven't tried anything else. I'm hoping this is just something simple I am overlooking that would let me run close to normal speed on a game.

Thanks in advance.Biggrin

Sponsored links

what is the stock speed of the i7 860?
(10-26-2012, 02:45 AM)Saiki Wrote: what is the stock speed of the i7 860?

I believe it is 2.8ghz stock. Not a 100% sure right now though as i am not at home to check it out. Will report back when i get back and take a look.
ok. I'll be waiting
The games are what define the PCSX2 performance and demands. Some (if not most) games do accept speedhacks well and the VU cycle stealing is probably the one giving you a boost there.

The processor is far from bad but it is not enough to play many PS2 emulated games at that clocking without speedhack help.

Try first the VU cycle stealing to the first notch and if still needed try the second. The FPS will surely go up but be aware that a few games show a different kind of lag in that scenery due to albeit the FPS is increased, the actual motion in game may be not and so a perceptible lag comes out.

If still needing some punch, try moving the EE Cycle rate a notch up. Only in despair try it above that first step for you may start getting sync problems, mainly in sound.

Good Luck.
Imagination is where we are truly real
That game if i recall has some serious post processing issues.

go in to the gsdx config, tick "hw hacks" then click the button next to it and put the skipdraw to 1 or 2, that should sort it. (although i think it might take away some of the HUD). If that doesnt help, try higher values till you get to about 10.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(10-26-2012, 04:19 PM)Saiki Wrote: ok. I'll be waiting

It is stock 2.80ghz. And thanks for the suggestions guys. I will try those out tonight when i get home from work.
I tried out both suggestions but neither seemed to work. I then put it back to software mode and changed the rendering threads to 8 and I'm getting a nice range between 54-60 fps. I'm not sure what that really does but it seemed to work. I am going to try and rip a few more games and play around. Any other suggestions as to what settings I should use to get the best quality would be great. Thanks.

Edit: just tried onimusha warlords with 8 threads and it was between 30-40 if i used 0 threads it was 47-50. Might have to play around with every game i guess.
(10-27-2012, 04:26 AM)bowlfan1970 Wrote: I tried out both suggestions but neither seemed to work. I then put it back to software mode and changed the rendering threads to 8 and I'm getting a nice range between 54-60 fps. I'm not sure what that really does but it seemed to work. I am going to try and rip a few more games and play around. Any other suggestions as to what settings I should use to get the best quality would be great. Thanks.

Edit: just tried onimusha warlords with 8 threads and it was between 30-40 if i used 0 threads it was 47-50. Might have to play around with every game i guess.

It's in game basis, most games will work better with hardware mode video. You should try software mode only if the actual game does have serious issues in hardware mode, what seems to be the case of that first you reported.
Imagination is where we are truly real
try gsdx ith 4 threads in software mode, see if you have any lag.