[Laptop] Are these specs good enough to run anything?
I understand Laptop Computers arn't very looked up upon but would this be able to run anything?

HP Envy 17

Intel Core i7 Quad Core (1.6GHz) 720 RPM
8Gig of RAM
64 Bit Windows 7
ATI Radeon 5850

If you need more info, please post, I apologize for asking Tongue2

Sponsored links

Word of Advise: Don't get HP, they'll most likely overheat in 1-2years. They also tend to put in the slowest RAM they can find, thus making your PC slower overall. You don't really need 8GB, 4GB is more than enough for a laptop.

In regards to your question: A Core 2 Duo clock at 2.6Ghz or higher would run PCSX2 better than that i7.

The GPU on that laptop however, is good enough for PCSX2 to run games at 60fps.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
(09-05-2010, 06:45 AM)frosty5689 Wrote: Word of Advise: Don't get HP, they'll most likely overheat in 1-2years. They also tend to put in the slowest RAM they can find, thus making your PC slower overall. You don't really need 8GB, 4GB is more than enough for a laptop.

In regards to your question: A Core 2 Duo clock at 2.6Ghz or higher would run PCSX2 better than that i7.

The GPU on that laptop however, is good enough for PCSX2 to run games at 60fps.

1) Unless you can take really good care of it, you could extend the life by a year or so, I've seen a few people have theirs for 3 or 4 years before completely failing on them.

2) I have no idea what I overclocked mine at, but what would you reccoment?

3) The GPU should be able to handle it, but for games like KHFMII+, It ran around 50FPS.

I'm pretty sure either overclocked wrong, have bad plugins/bios, or my laptop really can't run it ._.

50FPS is pretty playable, if you want more try turning on more speedhacks.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
(09-05-2010, 07:34 AM)frosty5689 Wrote: 50FPS is pretty playable, if you want more try turning on more speedhacks.

Never knew those could work.
The reason the game is only at 50fps is not the fault of your excellent mobile GPU. It is because that Core i7 720QM only tops out at 2.398Ghz on 2 cores (that's all PCSX2 uses), and that's IF Turbo Boost is initiated. If not, your running PCSX2 on the equivalent of a dual core i at 1.6Ghz.

Since you're actually getting 50fps with what sounds like may be without speedhacks, it probably is at 2.4Ghz. Even so, that is not very fast for most games to be emulated. Use Speedhacks!

The simple guide:
Start by checking all Speedhacks labeled [Recommended] and try the game. If that is not enough, try moving the sliders labeled "EE Cyclerate" and "VU Cycle stealing" little by little to the right. You may want to try them individually and together, as results may vary. If you can't get it so that the game's playable, there is a good chance your processor is too slow for the game. You can consult the forums for further advice or details on specific games. I will say, there are a few other ways to "tweak" the emulator's settings, but most times are less of an improvement. Again, it's usually somewhere on the forums.

Also note the the search function on the upper right of this site does kinda suck. It usually works out better if you search for something on these forums using Google or something. Trust me. Smile
Yes, you should be able to run Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII and other compatible 3D games.

Use speedhacks little by little.

Avoid games like MGS3 because they require 3.5+ ghz dual cores to get full speed consistently.
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
well you got major cpu speed problem at lease the speed of the cpu should be 2.5 ghz to get full speed (with aliltle bit playing with the program pm me for advice)
ps : disable energy saving on the laptop to get more speed
All right, so I managed to bump it to 60fps with no problem now.

I did play with some of the speed hacks, however, it's a little "skippy" and I know it's one of the speedhacks

I know I should have searched. I'm normally good at that but for some reason, I wouldn't think anybody else would have this laptop yet...sort of.

But thanks for all your help guys, I'm gonna see if I can get this going Laugh
(09-05-2010, 08:24 PM)Garvorious Wrote: All right, so I managed to bump it to 60fps with no problem now.

I did play with some of the speed hacks, however, it's a little "skippy" and I know it's one of the speedhacks

I know I should have searched. I'm normally good at that but for some reason, I wouldn't think anybody else would have this laptop yet...sort of.

But thanks for all your help guys, I'm gonna see if I can get this going Laugh

Speedhacks reduce emulation accuracy, but I don't really care because it's the only way for me to run games at 35-40 FPS at least. I can run FFX-2 @ 37-40 fps average with max VU cycle stealing and a few of the other speedhacks like INTC sync, waitcycles and the mVU hacks. Above 30 FPS the audio isn't skippy (if your using async mix but it tends to timestretch a bit), below that it gets bad.
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin