Laptop usage question
I am about to buy a laptop, but i have heard people say that pcsx2 does not run well with laptops.
The laptop im looking into is the Asus Intel Core i7-740QM Processor Laptop
model number: G73JH-BST7

Specs are:
Type: Gaming
Processor Name: Intel Core i7-740QM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Processor Speed: 1.73 GHz (2.93 while in turbo mode)
RAM: 6 GB
Screen Size: 17.3 inches
Screen Size Type widescreen
Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD 5870
Storage Capacity (as Tested) 640 GB
Networking Options 802.11n
Primary Optical Drive Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW

I would like to know if this is one of the laptops that cannot handle pcsx2.
thx in advanced for any help.

Sponsored links

that i7 laptop can almost handle pcsx2 but be aware of the temperatures be sure to have a laptop cooler w/ you if you don't like to experiened around 81 C.

heres my i7 laptop(i7-720QM,HD5650) for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAHaUwidxso
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
I that 2.93Ghz in Turbo Mode when using 2 cores, or 1? I assume it's when using 1 core and using 2 cores would be somewhere between to two, you probably wouldn't be able to play most games at full speed if I'm right, but a bunch of games would work well with speedhacks, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X and more. The majority of games probably wouldn't go well, but I'll wait for someone with more knowledge to give their two cents.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
(12-12-2010, 12:08 PM)Larfin_Man Wrote: I that 2.93Ghz in Turbo Mode when using 2 cores, or 1? I assume it's when using 1 core and using 2 cores would be somewhere between to two, you probably wouldn't be able to play most games at full speed if I'm right, but a bunch of games would work well with speedhacks, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X and more. The majority of games probably wouldn't go well, but I'll wait for someone with more knowledge to give their two cents.

When in normal mode (battery saving mode), it runs 1.73 ghz "per core". the i7 is a quad core, so in normal mode im guessing thats 6.92 ghz minus what ever you lose in the core transfer or what ever you call it?

that means with 1.93 ghz per core in turbo mode, thats 11.72 ghz? or am i thinking of this entirely the wrong way?
this is all guessing from myself, i dont know how quad cores work to be honest, but its definitely 2.93 ghz PER CORE

*edit*
1 more thing as well. The reason i posted this, is because in the stickied post regarding compatibility with machines, this laptop meets all the highest level specs (exceeding the graphics card and ram recommendations), yet it also says few laptops can handle pcsx2. so what im trying to figure out is if this laptop is good enough to be one of those few, lol.
(12-14-2010, 11:46 PM)ChronicSP Wrote: .. runs 1.73 ghz "per core". the i7 is a quad core, .. thats 6.92 ghz minus what ever you lose in the core transfer or what ever you call it?

.. with 1.93 ghz per core in turbo mode, thats 11.72 ghz? ..
.. but its definitely 2.93 ghz PER CORE

.. this laptop meets all the highest level specs (exceeding the graphics card and ram recommendations), ..

.. yet it also says few laptops can handle pcsx2. so what im trying to figure out is if this laptop is good enough to be one of those few, lol.

Just NO. You suck at doin' the math. Multiplying core's Ghz to 12 GHz isn't the same than 4 x 2.93GHz(not even realistic for a laptop). Uhh. There's more goin' on inside.

I hope you the last one to ask about that. -.-

well, mr haxor, since your apparently better at "math" than me, mind telling me the correctly computed processing power?
(12-15-2010, 12:28 AM)ChronicSP Wrote: well, mr haxor, since your apparently better at "math" than me, mind telling me the correctly computed processing power?

2.2 dual is 4.9 so that gives an idea, if I did the math, roughly) it's about 3.6 - 3.7 for 2 cores, which is all pcsx2 will use, even if given more
(12-15-2010, 01:28 AM)Saiki Wrote: 2.2 dual is 4.9 so that gives an idea, if I did the math, roughly) it's about 3.6 - 3.7 for 2 cores, which is all pcsx2 will use, even if given more

for me for example 2.2ghz dual is still 2.2ghz is like equipping a 2 pressure belt in a drilling machine...(power not speed)
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(12-15-2010, 01:35 AM)tallbender Wrote: for me for example 2.2ghz dual is still 2.2ghz is like equipping a 2 pressure belt in a drilling machine...(power not speed)

2.2 dual seems to clock at 4.9 according to most tests I've run
What are you talking about, if it's your pentium dual and it says 2.2GHz then it's 2.2Ghz not 4.9Ghz, dunno what you're talking about Tongue2

In the case of the i7-740QM it's max of 2.94GHz on single core turbo and 2.53GHz in dual core turbo use not anything like 12GHz either (never multiply cores and clock speed, it's simply a slow clocked (1.7GHz) cpu with multiple cores... or in case of the turbo boost 2.93GHz in single core and 2.53GHz in dual core use).
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64