Laptop users
So for all those folks who don't own desktops and are tired of being told just give up, pcsx2 will never run at full speed on a laptop, I just played FF12 at 2x native resolution with no speed hacks or special customization, and had 57-60fps the WHOLE time. My laptop is 5 years old and wasn't anything to brag about when new. Specs:
Intel Core i3 330m, computer clocks it at 2.1ghz
4GB ram
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 512 MB graphics card

The answer, is HEAT, or heat prevention. Keep your laptop cool and you really shouldn't have a problem. Obviously, that's harder with a laptop, but folks, I'm poor, like didn't eat today cas I aint got no money kinda poor. So here's how i kept my laptop cool.

1. I do have a $15 cooling fan that goes underneath.
2. I set the edges of the cooling fan and stand on two books to provide room underneath and then put a bunch of ice packs underneath the fan thereby making a makeshift air conditioner.
3. I put 2 small regular fans near the laptop
4. I removed the laptop battery(seriously, that probably helped more then anything, I was kinda amazed at how sharply the heat dropped doing that. 55 degrees idle to 40.)
5. And that's it, with that jerry-rigged system, my laptop stayed cool enough to operate the game to perfection EVEN AT HIGHER THAN NORMAL SETTINGS! The game was so beautiful, Looked like a dadblam PS3. So, go buy some nice cooling system or make your own and have fun. Hope this helps and at least gives hope.

Sponsored links

FF12 is one of the easier games to run. For most people, heat is not the problem. Their machines simply are not fast enough. There are quite a few laptops capable of running even the most demanding games. But they are expensive. People come here all the time with their $300 walmart specials wanting to run demanding games like Burnout, Ratchet and Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid, etc. It isn't gonna happen.

However, heat can definitely be an issue. But getting rid of heat won't magically make an underpowered laptop run a demanding game.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Just as Blyss said, some games are easier to emulate than others, but even high end laptops have problems running certain games.

I really can't play Shadow of Colossus without experiencing slow-downs every now and then even having an i7 3920XM (overclock enabled mobile CPU) and an AMD HD 8970 GPU on my Clevo P150EM gaming laptop.

If you run benchmarks, you'll see that my Laptop's high-end i7 3920XM is just about as powerful as a Desktop's i5 3550, which is only a mid-range CPU when it comes to Desktops. Now, don't even try to compare that to how powerful Desktop's i7 processors are.

And yes, having a nice cooling system helps, but it's not the answer on some cases. I myself have a CM Storm SF-19 Laptop Cooler (http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/produc.../sf19usb2/) and even still I can experience some slowdowns on certain games.
(06-29-2014, 11:24 AM)wimper Wrote: So for all those folks who don't own desktops and are tired of being told just give up, pcsx2 will never run at full speed on a laptop ...

Stop right there. Who are all those people you claim exist? No one says that laptop users can't expect to run games at full speed, and if some people say that, then just correct them.

Many laptop these days can run many games at full speed, even if they're not gaming/high-end laptops.

Just keep in mind that laptops are generally slower than desktops so for the most part, laptops will run less games at full speed than desktops, and there are the heat and throttling issue which can be much more severe with laptop cpus.

Other than that, sure, many laptops will run many games with PCSX2 just fine, and I don't think that you'll find many people who say otherwise.
(06-29-2014, 11:29 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: FF12 is one of the easier games to run. For most people, heat is not the problem. Their machines simply are not fast enough. There are quite a few laptops capable of running even the most demanding games. But they are expensive. People come here all the time with their $300 walmart specials wanting to run demanding games like Burnout, Ratchet and Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid, etc. It isn't gonna happen.

However, heat can definitely be an issue. But getting rid of heat won't magically make an underpowered laptop run a demanding game.

Gotcha, i guess i just spent a long time messing with speed hacks with no luck whatsoever, and when I checked the forms for help most of the time when a laptop was mentioned I saw negative feedback. I guess, it would be more accurate to say, if you can make the game playable using the pcsx2 configurations and speedhacks, then you can probably make it run full speed if you can keep your machine cold.

Also, I had luck with KH and KH2, don't know if those are any harder on a system.

Thirdly, checkin around the forums I saw lots suggesting that using a laptop and hoping for great results is a waste of time. (though i suppose a walmart special for gaming may indeed still be a waste of time.)Tongue
(06-29-2014, 06:40 PM)wimper Wrote: Gotcha, i guess i just spent a long time messing with speed hacks with no luck whatsoever, and when I checked the forms for help most of the time when a laptop was mentioned I saw negative feedback. I guess, it would be more accurate to say, if you can make the game playable using the pcsx2 configurations and speedhacks, then you can probably make it run full speed if you can keep your machine cold.

Also, I had luck with KH and KH2, don't know if those are any harder on a system.

Thirdly, checkin around the forums I saw lots suggesting that using a laptop and hoping for great results is a waste of time. (though i suppose a walmart special for gaming may indeed still be a waste of time.)Tongue

That cause most people have those 300$ laptops to begin with. most people coming around here with laptops dont have those mid/high range laptops. some of them arnt even laptops there netbooks which are worse.
(06-29-2014, 07:09 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: That cause most people have those 300$ laptops to begin with. most people coming around here with laptops dont have those mid/high range laptops. some of them arnt even laptops there netbooks which are worse.

This may be off topic, but seeing as how I created the thread I think it's ok. Would a 5 year old mid range laptop run pcsx2 and other games better or worse then say... one of the better walmart specials. Meaning, if you bought a new, upper end of the low budget laptops, would that be better or worse then a midrange dated computer.
That depends on a lot of factors. Best thing to do is compare the CPUs in em, specifically the single threaded performance. You can use here for that: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Whichever one has the higher overall and higher single threaded performance is the one that will do best. Above 1000 STP most lower end games will be playable, around 1400 STP the mid range games become playable, but for the highest, hardest to run games you need around 1700+ STP

Also whether the CPU is an ultrabook type CPU (if it has a U at the end of it's name, it is) comes into play. Those are just really bad for PCSX2, except for really light games.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
again its all depend on the spec.

It comes down to you get what you pay for and comparing what a 300$ laptop can do with PC made programs does not mean it will do well in emulation. as emulation a whole lot harder and demanding them most any PC made program.

And each emulated game has diffrent demands.

For instance some people will get these new APU based system where as my 5 years 920@ stock is still faster them most if not all them, Same concept applies to laptop/netbook cpu/apu newer dont = better