Legal USA BIOS is recognized as japanese
So I did some looking into it and noticed something. (SCPH-77001, date code 7A, bios versoin 220
I'm not sure if this affects the in-game language, but it does change how PCSX2 detects it. Basically there's a version string, it looks like the A means America and a J means Japan? (there's also another bit different). I think this is where PCSX2 get the bios type from.

Code:
0220AC20060210

When I dumped my BIOS with the v1 dumper, it gave me the version with the J, when I dumped it with the v2, it gave me the version with the A. Apparently that's not the only difference though as when I changed those values in the v1 dump with a hex editor (exactly to the bit shown in the v2 dump), it showed up as a US bios, but it didn't run properly, throwing a few C0P0 errors, but I'm not sure which files correspond to each other, thus I'm not able to compare them.

However, using the dump with the v2 bios simply works as expected (X and O buttons correct and all that), but it is a lot pickier with which thumb drives it takes (which is why I first dumped it with the v1 dumper). So I guess the moral of the story is to just use the v2 dumper.

Sponsored links