Let me whine a little (about fps)
Livy, still can't get this. U say "2 threads 2 cores". BUT! MTVU option in speedhacks states that it gains significant increase in fps on 3+ core systems! But again, u say that pcsx2 use only 2 cores. How can it be? With this option it should use all 4!

Sponsored links

(12-17-2011, 05:40 AM)Livy Wrote: PCSX2 uses 2 threads: the EE thread for emulating the PS2 CPU (and some other components) and the GS thread for emulating the PS2 GPU (or video card if that makes sense to you). Each thread runs on a CPU core -- it is the reason why PCSX2 uses 2 cores.
"Some other components" mentioned above includes Vector Unit 0, another processor inside the PS2. The MTVU is a newly hack added recently by Cottonvibe, which emulates the VU0 on its own thread. So basically PCSX2 uses 3 CPU cores with MTVU enabled. You can see the VU percentage if you are using this hack.

The tooltip "... on 3+ core system..." means that you should use that hack if your CPU has 3 cores or more. Using it on a dual-core CPU could cause slowdown in some cases. Many have requested quad-core support for years, but PCSX2 programmers have difficulty implement it. I thought that PCSX2 never uses more than 2 cores but the MTVU came. Sadly the author, Cottonvibe, left PCSX2 team recently for his real life career.
MTVU is a speedup in some cases for some games. There's still synchronization overhead. There's still only 3 high usage threads (EE, GS, VU). And there's still the fact that if one thread is pegged at 100%, others could be lower in which case three cpu cores won't be saturated.
Quote:Why even bother then? Just go and by 'kng console for 100$!
Quote:Instead of buying cutting edge HW for over than 1k$ isn't it more reasonable to buy a used PHISICAL PS2 console instead?

interesting.
I second rama on this : you seem not to own a PS2? That would be the 1st thing to do.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Livy, natt, thank you for your patience Smile Now the whole picture stands out. That's strange, about the GS thread, processed by CPU. I thought console GPU's emulation workload fully moved to PC GPU - hey, that's what GPUs do, process graphics and things Smile