Linux Mint 19.3, PCSX2 1.4.0, OnePad configuration problems[SOLVED]
Specs:
GPU - Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
CPU - Intel© Core™ i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz × 2
OS - Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Memory - 5.7 GiB
PCXS2 Version - 1.4.0, from the Ubuntu PPA(and 1.7.0 from the same, info below)
Games tested - Fatal Frame, via ISO 

Settings: screenshots here: https://imgur.com/a/Ge4dic5 

My issue is this: OnePad 1.1.0 cannot properly bind controls on my DS3 controller(plugged into usb).

Here are the specific problems I've noted:

- OnePad cannot bind the Y-axis of the right stick correctly, I've performed jstest via the terminal and it works fine, but to actually map, say, Y-up to Y-up is impossible, though I can map it elsewhere, and map other things to Y-up.

- OnePad has the same problem as above mapping the thumbstick buttons, the D-Pad, and the Start and Select buttons. Same conditions apply.

- OnePad recognizes the left trigger(L2) as "JAxis 2 Full". This means that, in the neutral position, the right stick is performing an input, though the exact nature of this input eludes me. For example, in my testing with Fatal Frame, opening the camera mode(with the Circle button) causes the player to constantly move forward unless the L2 button is held exactly halfway. Holding the trigger down further causes the character to move backwards. This is because, in Fatal Frame, the right stick controls character movement when camera mode is active.

Here are the steps I've taken so far to fix this issue:

- Editing the .ini files where the controller mapping info is contained. This displays the correct buttons in the config menu, but does not fix their function in gameplay.

- Scouring the PCSX2 forums for information. Unfortunately ALL threads about OnePad or similar controller issues involving linux have either ZERO replies, or stop before any issue is resolved.

- Scouring the internet for other versions of OnePad. I learned that OnePad 2.0.0 exists, but the only place I could find such is in the source code for PCSX2 1.6.0, which I wasn't able to obtain for Linux via the PPA, and compiling from source is too complicated for my tiny brain to comprehend, so I won't be solving my problem that way anytime soon.

- Installing PCSX2 1.7.0. This should have fixed the problem with the controller since the version of OnePad used for this release of PCSX2 autodetects and maps the buttons(plug and play style). However, I was unable to determine if this was true due to a whole other set of problems that came up, which I will describe below.

Why simply upgrading to the newest version of PCSX2 hasn't helped:

To put it simply, PCSX2 1.7.0 runs at 5 fps, making any and all games unplayable. I changed many settings in an attempt to fix this, but no change I made seemed to have any effect. However, in 1.4.0, Fatal Frame runs at a smooth framerate, despite some audio lag/slowdown here and there, but, as has already been explained, games are unplayable in 1.4.0 due to the impossibility of controller input configuration. My remaining ideas for solving this problem are as follows: 1) Find another version of OnePad or a similar cross-platform/Linux-compatible plugin and install that, 2) find a fix for my 1.7.0 issues, 3) beg for help on this forum and others. I can only hope that anyone has any advice which may help fix my issue.

Here is the output of inxi -Fxz:

System:
  Host: dave-Aspire-M5-581T Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64
  compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
  Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire M5-581T v: V1.12
  serial: <filter>
  Mobo: Acer model: MA51_HX v: Type2 - Board Version serial: <filter>
  UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: 1.12 date: 12/05/2012
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: 43.8 Wh condition: 43.8/55.5 Wh (79%)
  model: SONY Li_Ion_4000mA status: Full
  Device-1: sony_controller_battery_60:38:0e:89:07:23 model: N/A charge: N/A
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-3337U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
  arch: Ivy Bridge rev: 9 L2 cache: 3072 KiB
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 14366
  Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/2700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 797
  3: 798 4: 799
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
  resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)
  v: 4.2 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
  bus ID: 00:1b.0
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-42-generic
Network:
  Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: tg3 v: 3.137 port: 3040
  bus ID: 02:00.0
  IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Foxconn
  driver: ath9k v: kernel port: 3040 bus ID: 03:00.0
  IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 484.40 GiB used: 205.85 GiB (42.5%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST500LT012-9WS142 size: 465.76 GiB
  ID-2: /dev/sdb model: SATA SSD size: 18.64 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 456.50 GiB used: 205.85 GiB (45.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 976.0 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 204 Uptime: 4h 10m Memory: 5.65 GiB used: 1.40 GiB (24.8%)
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.5.0 clang: 6.0.0-1ubuntu2
  Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 inxi: 3.0.32

Sponsored links

Hm, according to your specs you won't get high framerates for most games anyway, regardless of the PCSX2 version.
See the min. specs here: https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2#system-requirements

Did you test other games aswell? Is your framerate higher in v1.4.0?

Please post your emulog aswell, when running the game.
Tired of always changing your PCSX2 Configuration for different games?

Check this out: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-MultiConfigTool
(07-27-2020, 06:18 PM)XXXBold Wrote: Hm, according to your specs you won't get high framerates for most games anyway, regardless of the PCSX2 version.
See the min. specs here: https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2#system-requirements

Did you test other games aswell? Is your framerate higher in v1.4.0?

Please post your emulog aswell, when running the game.

I specifically indicated in my post that my framerate was smooth despite slight occasional audio lag in 1.4.0. I've not tested other games yet, but I can get back to you on that later. My issue isn't with running the game anyway, it's a controller input issue. Please re-read my post. Emulog is attached:

Attached Files
.txt   log.txt (Size: 6,57 KB / Downloads: 132)
Yes, I read that your original problem was with the controller. Can you test on 1.7.0 if the controller issue still persists? (Yes, I know, its a PITA to test with 5FPS, but if you get the controller working there, we could look into the performance issue.

For the plugin selection: If you use 1.7.0 from the official PPA (https://launchpad.net/%7Epcsx2-team/+arc...csx2-daily) you should be able to select the GS Plugin using SSE 4.1 (Instead of the SSE2), your CPU claims it'a able to do so, maybe that's the issue? Which one is active on your 1.4.0 installation? (Didn't found that on the log)

How do you install 1.7.0/1.4.0 on your machine? (If you use a PPA: Which one(s)?)

Can you also put an emulog if you run on 1.7.0?

I also use Mint 19.3, when I'm on 1.7.0 (From official PPA) I can select OnePad 1.3.0 or 2.0.0, try both if possible.

(07-27-2020, 09:47 PM)XXXBold Wrote: Yes, I read that your original problem was with the controller. Can you test on 1.7.0 if the controller issue still persists? (Yes, I know, its a PITA to test with 5FPS, but if you get the controller working there, we could look into the performance issue.

For the plugin selection: If you use 1.7.0 from the official PPA (https://launchpad.net/%7Epcsx2-team/+arc...csx2-daily) you should be able to select the GS Plugin using SSE 4.1 (Instead of the SSE2), your CPU claims it'a able to do so, maybe that's the issue? Which one is active on your 1.4.0 installation? (Didn't found that on the log)

How do you install 1.7.0/1.4.0 on your machine? (If you use a PPA: Which one(s)?)

Can you also put an emulog if you run on 1.7.0?

I also use Mint 19.3, when I'm on 1.7.0 (From official PPA) I can select OnePad 1.3.0 or 2.0.0, try both if possible.

Apologies for my previous curt reply, I've been banging my head on this problem for a while, and it's been quite draining.

I've now tested on 1.7.0 and can confirm the controller issue is resolved, OnePad on this version is plug-and-play, if what I've heard is correct. I also learned a bit more about the performance issues, which I'll get into in a second.

I've selected GSdx (GCC 7.5.0 SSE4.1/AVX) 1.2.0 [libGSdx-SSE4] as my GS plugin, as per your reccomendation, but there seems to be no difference in speed between this and the other plugins I can select. In 1.4.0, the plugin I have selected is GSdx (GCC 7.3.0, SSE2) 1.0.0 [libGSdx-1.0.0], and it's the only listed plugin in that version. If you need to see any other plugin information in my 1.4.0 setup, I've included screenshots of all my settings and plugins used in the imgur album at the top of my post. I've compiled screenshots of my 1.7.0 settings/plugins as well, for ease of reading: https://imgur.com/a/ins1iO4

I install both 1.7.0 and 1.4.0 through the official PCSX2 PPA's listed on the GitHub page.(ppa pcsx2-team/pcsx2-daily and ppa:gregory-hainaut/pcsx2.official.ppa)

I have some more info about the performance experience in 1.7.0. Framerate/gamespeed approaches playable in menus, but in-game and in-cutscene, framerate drops to unplayable levels. The In-menu gamespeed is still a fair bit slower than on 1.4.0, though, with the audio sounding a bit stretched out to compensate. I suspect it's a similar issue to what I've seen some other's on this forum experience; that is, issues in performance whenever anything 3d comes into the situation. I've not tested other games just yet, but I'll let you know of my results when I do.

Attached is my emulog in 1.7.0, if there are any further questions I'd be happy to investigate them. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Attached Files
.txt   log2.txt (Size: 3,26 KB / Downloads: 129)
So far there's at least no error in your log which indicates where the problem comes from.

Still, try the following:

- How is the performance if you toggle between SW/HW renderer ingame (F9)?
- Disable the Large Framebuffer option in GS plugin (IIRC that can impact performance in some scenarios)
- Play around with the emulation presets
- Test other games
- What exactly is the limiting Factor when your FPS drop? You can see that if you have the titlebar oif the render window visible while running (EE and GS on the right side).
- Maybe also try to delete your complete configuration folder ($HOME/.config/PCSX2) and re-run the first-time wizard.

It's also possible that the rendering was changed since 1.4.0, which leads to weaker performance on low-end graphics in some scenarios, but I'm not a PCSX2-Dev, so this is only speculation on my side.

(07-28-2020, 09:35 PM)XXXBold Wrote: So far there's at least no error in your log which indicates where the problem comes from.

Still, try the following:

- How is the performance if you toggle between SW/HW renderer ingame (F9)?
- Disable the Large Framebuffer option in GS plugin (IIRC that can impact performance in some scenarios)
- Play around with the emulation presets
- Test other games
- What exactly is the limiting Factor when your FPS drop? You can see that if you have the titlebar oif the render window visible while running (EE and GS on the right side).
- Maybe also try to delete your complete configuration folder ($HOME/.config/PCSX2) and re-run the first-time wizard.

It's also possible that the rendering was changed since 1.4.0, which leads to weaker performance on low-end graphics in some scenarios, but I'm not a PCSX2-Dev, so this is only speculation on my side.
Great news! It seems that the emulation presets have completely fixed my performance issues for some reason! Details below:

I tried toggling between HW/SW rendering in-game, unfortunately there was no change in game-speed.

Next, I disabled Large Framebuffer, again, no change in speed.

The next thing I did was take a peek at the EE and GS percentages. I don't know what a "limiting factor" is, but I recorded the EE/GS percentages In-Menu, In-FMV, and In-Game:

In-Menu: EE ~99%, GS ~9%
In-FMV+Game: EE~99%, GS ~0%

Finally I took a look at the emulation presets, which really blew me away. My results below:

Safest(No Hacks):
In-Menu - speed 100%(60fps), EE ~50%, GS ~10%
In-FMV - speed 90-100%, EE at 100%, GS ~10%
In-Game speed ~75%(45fps), EE ~93%, GS ~42%
Conclusion: Playable, mostly

Safe(Default):
In-Menu - speed 100%(60fps), EE ~30%, GS ~20%
In-FMV - speed 90-100%, EE ~90, GS ~10%
In-Game speed ~95-100%, EE ~85%, GS ~50-59%
Conclusion: Absolutely playable

Balanced:
In-Menu - speed 100%(60fps), EE ~25-35%, GS ~20-30%
In-FMV - speed 90-100%, EE ~100, GS ~10-15%
In-Game speed ~95-100%, EE ~70-90%, GS ~55-70%
Conclusion: Absolutely playable, though my computer made more fan noise

Something about enabling the presets completely removed the performance problems. Come to think of it, presets were enabled by default on 1.4.0, which makes me think that perhaps that was what allowed me to get consistent framerates in that version of PCSX2. I was going to test other games right after the preset tests, but I think I no longer need to now that my framerates are back to normal. Thanks so much! I hadn't considered the greyed-out checkbox marked "presets" yet. and it's apparently the magic bullet for these slowdown issues.
Very nice that you could solve your issues.

Thanks for posting your solution here aswell, most ppl don't do this if they fix it themselfes, but this can help future users aswell if they run into similar problems Smile

Maybe mark your thread's title with a "[solved]" prefix, so others know it.