Linux Mint 20.2 vs Windows 10 21H2
Hi there,

I have a dual boot set-up with PCSX2 installed on both Linux Mint 20.2 and Windows 10 21H2 operating systems. I was expecting the app to run better under Linux but that hasn't been the case. So far I am talking about PCSX2 running straight out of the box with no changes to settings.

Firstly, let's get this out of the way:

HP Laptop/Notebook - 15da0xxx
Intel® Pentium® Silver N5000 (1.1 GHz base frequency, up to 2.7 GHz burst frequency, 4 MB cache, 4 cores)
4 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
Intel® UHD Graphics 605

I know the above specs are not good enough for the app, but actually games from the early period 2000-2004 are often a lot less demanding than those released later in the console's lifespan (ie.2008) so I don't see why some less demanding ones should be discounted. Rather than going for as low spec as possible though, I do want to try whatever I can achieve.

Thing is, if I had just run the app on Linux I might have given up on PCSX2 very quickly, but the machine actually performs rather well under Windows! So I wonder if there are things I can do with settings to improve performance on Linux, given that it is exactly the same hardware.

I originally tried Romancing SaGa on Linux and got speeds of around 80-90 but in certain areas it dropped to like 30-40, however after installing on Windows the same game runs at 90-100 or in certain areas about 70-80.

I expected it to be the other way around, for no reason other than Linux just does a lot of things surprisingly better than Windows but it obviously wasn't the case with PCSX2. I realise in reality Linux give varying results with different software and that it's not necessarily realistic to expect it to run PCSX2 faster.

Anyway, I decided to push it and experimented with Eternal Poison (2008) that is going to be one of the more demanding PS2 era games. This time on Linux it was now unsurprisingly unplayable at a speed of 40-50 or 20-30, but on Windows this lowly cheapo laptop was running it at 80-100 or 40-50 (the latter being SFX-heavy, cut scene animations that can be switched off).

Again, under Windows I was surprised to find it rather playable but Linux.. not so much.

So if there are any techies out there, I'd appreciate any feedback as to why Linux Mint would struggle so much compared to Windows that many describe as bloated, and if at all possible I would naively request any possible settings that could enable me to get playable performance under Linux, given that's my preferred operating system.

Cheers!

Sponsored links

Quote:but actually games from the early period 2000-2004 are often a lot less demanding
in terms of emulation, no. not at all.
Tekken Tag is a good example
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(08-09-2021, 09:27 PM)jesalvein Wrote: in terms of emulation, no. not at all.
Tekken Tag is a good example

Starting to see that a little bit.

One of my games, Wizardry, slows to 30 on Linux in the town area because of animating the snow. Thankfully it's rather playable because the town is just an animated menu system and the rest of the game is mostly fine.

I'd like to see others' feedback on how Linux (Mint?) performs compared to Windows. Still surprised Linux is below Windows for performance but maybe it's actually the PCSX2 app versions rather than the operating systems.

Excuse my ignorance in any of the above, I'm just a lowly layman.
Performance on windows and Linux should be roughly on the same level in general. But you can get significant different results depending on your hardware, drivers, system settings (Especially on laptops with power saving features etc.) and also depending on the game you play.
You don't provide much information, so you can't expect anyone to help you specifically with your problems.

And further, as already mentioned, your hardware is pretty much at the low-end for using PCSX2 anyway.
Tired of always changing your PCSX2 Configuration for different games?

Check this out: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-MultiConfigTool
I gave my basic system specs and operating system builds and specified that I am running the app out of the box, and described myself as a layman, so I don't see what other information I am supposed to give.

Never mind, there are other games and emulators out there.
your system is basically too weak to run anything at full speed with pcsx2.

sorry about this, we forgot to tell you

I guess you're off to play your games on your real ps2 until you can afford better
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
A few years ago I noticed this slowness (which persists to this day, I've compiled pcsx2 yesterday). I created this thread that lead to nothing https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Performa...on-Windows

What's weird to me is that almost no one is complaining about this. Maybe everyone just have fast enough CPUs to get past this linux performance issue
Clip, have you tried setting the environment variable mesa_glthread=true before launching PCSX2 ?

I've been tinkering with this and found that that was the issue in my case. Not the same env var, in Nvidia you need __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 and to revert some changes in the source code that broke the functionality, but maybe with Mesa drivers it just works without those changes.

Let me know how it goes