Linux or Windows?
No this isn't a which is better, as such.. hahaha I have just ordered a new desktop PC (See my signature for specs) and it will arrive with dual boot Windows 7 and SUSE on it. My question is.. would there be any difference in performance if I were to run pcsx2 in either windows or linux? Would the Linux version produce better results than the Windows 7 version? Better framerates etc.. I know Windows is a resource hog so i was curious if the Linux version would weild better results than the Windows version.. or would they pretty much just be the same?
Specs:
CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition Quad Core Socket AM2+ (940 pin) 2511.36mhz
MB - ASUSTek Crosshair II Formula Motherboard - nForce 780a SLI SPP (MCP Southbridge)
RAM - 8gb DDR2 Dual Channel Corsair PC2-6400
GFX - NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512mb (I do have a 550GT TI 1GB)
OS - Windows 7 64bit/Fedora 13 KDE

Sponsored links

Well gsdx is only usable in windows and its by far the best graphic plugin, so use windows.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
Yes you can't run gsdx on linux. Well maybe you can I haven't personally tried to use wine to emulate it.

Windows 7 is indeed a resource hog much like it's predecessors and a lot of that has to do with pre-caching. What does this mean? Your ram you put into your nice new machine will already have some of the instructions you'll want to process from your cpu. It's not a bad thing, especially considering the cost of 6gig of ram isn't exactly high.

I don't like suse but I've used ubuntu extensively in previous years (i actually played quite a few games like counterstrike source and even raided progression raids in world of warcraft when i used to play that). But i get the feeling that with direct x 11 etc, you'll find that the fastest framerates will actually be in windows. PCSX has had stronger development (in my personal experience) in windows. I'm not saying that it isn't possible to get better rates with linux but I believe the code is less optimal for it right now. I'm happy to be corrected on that though.

If you've got more than 2 cores than windows isn't going to interfere with your PCSX2. In fact you'll actually find that even on only 2 cores, windows will take probably oh maybe 2% on average of system resources in CPU time (the most valuable resource in PCSX2). Which means that even if you're in windows, you'll probably be fine.

If you've got a 3.33ghz dualcore, you'll probably find that many of the common games will run at 50-60fps constantly without slowdowns in windows. Just make sure you use the 4.1sse GSDX and you'll be right as rain. You may find you can use a later version those i5's support the new sse for what that's worth.
The system I "have" isn't yet ordered, waiting on my boss to show up for work, I work in computers so if I order the parts through him he can claim the tax back on it all so get the system that bit cheaper hehehe

For the price of the 3.33 i5-660 I could get a quad core.. but it would be 2.66ghz.. and I heard that PCSX2 doesnt use quad core tech so the dual core would be faster... or would it? The 6GB of ram is only costing me about 80 Euros.. My boss also GAVE me a legit copy of Win 7 Ultimate so that was nice of him Smile

My current system, a laptop, has a Intel core 2 Duo and BOY does that struggle with PCSX2!! The 512mb ATI Mobility radeon x1600 may be contributing to bad framerates though..

4.1sse GSDX pluggin? Does that come with the emulator or do I have to grab that seperately? I grabbed a file full of pluggins for PCSX2 so it is probably in there.. but cheers I will download another just in case.

regarding the Linux.. I use Fedora GNOME (and KDE), Ubuntu/Kubuntu, and SUSE. I just find SUSE to be more to my liking..

So.. basically the Windows version of PCSX2 has had more work done on it so I would be better with the Windows version then? Fair enough cheers I will keep using the Windows version Smile

On an unrelated topic.. Windows XP SP3.. how much ram does that take? I heard 4GB as more than that it becomes unstable.. its just I dont like Vista or Win7, hence me being a Linux user. WinXP I prefer but I know that it is not DirectX11 compliant... so would be wasting my gfx card.. Linux for apps/general usage and Win7 for.. well games! hahaha Oh and Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, 3dStudioMax etc haha
Specs:
CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition Quad Core Socket AM2+ (940 pin) 2511.36mhz
MB - ASUSTek Crosshair II Formula Motherboard - nForce 780a SLI SPP (MCP Southbridge)
(07-16-2010, 09:55 AM)ChrisR1982Edin Wrote: For the price of the 3.33 i5-660 I could get a quad core.. but it would be 2.66ghz.. and I heard that PCSX2 doesnt use quad core tech so the dual core would be faster... or would it?

The i5 will be faster even if it was running at the same speed of the quad, 3.33GHz on it will probably be more than you need for PCSX2 too.

Quote:4.1sse GSDX pluggin? Does that come with the emulator or do I have to grab that seperately?

It comes with PCSX2, you just have to change it from the plugins panel (should be using SSE2 by default).
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
So stick with the i5 3.33GHZ then? Nice one thanks

It comes with it? Fair enough I will change the settings and see how it handles, when I actually get the pc.. I live in Italy and their postal service is.. well.. lacking in terms of efficiency! Took 3 months for a birthday card to get to the uk from italy!
Specs:
On topic the answer are actually two depending on the scope the question is taken.
Linux (and Unix as a whole) proved being better for professional applications (often the only solution), that is specially true when large machine's clusters are needed.

But at application level the obvious answer is: depends on that application development and optimization. PCSX2 in particular is developed to make the better possible usage of the windows APIs, it's being constantly tweaked to get each drop of performance from them while the Linux counterpart must be seen as a porting, the abnegated people on it try and do some optimization but not at the same level the main developing body does.

The video counterpart is yet more apparent, GSDX is nowadays more advanced than the OpenGL equivalents, this is so evident it is so in Windows itself, but for obvious reasons it can't run on Linux unless emulating the already emulated thing in wine (for example).

These reasons alone screams playing PCSX2 in windows native is today the better option when the choice is possible.

In time: Unless, of course, you are a competent programmer/coder and are willing to contribute in the Linux version development... Smile
Imagination is where we are truly real
(07-16-2010, 09:14 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: The i5 will be faster even if it was running at the same speed of the quad, 3.33GHz on it will probably be more than you need for PCSX2 too.

Wouldn't be so sure that 3.33GHz will be more than he needs, for pcsx2 there is no such thing like too much of MHz. There is new i5 on market now with stock clock at 3.6GHz, I think this will be the best cpu for pcsx2 at the moment. I'm really curious how it performs in games like gran turismo 4.
AMD Phenom II 550 Black Edition @3.8GHz
4GB DDR2 1066MHz CL5-5-5-15
ASUS Radeon EAH4770 Formula 512MB DDR5
Im no coder.. well.. not that sort of coding! I know html, css, php, and all that sort of stuff.. flash and photoshop as well, not that they are coding.. hahaha but when it comes to coding applications.. nah I can't do that or I would be more than willing to lend a hand.
Specs: