Linux performance issues
That's correct, SSE4a is not the same as SSE4.1. AMD processors currently only support SSE2 in PCSX2.
[Image: 2748844.png]

Sponsored links

Hum I think it would be better to improve the compatibilty of the plugin. I think the difference of speed come from the cache management and maybe the math stuff (gsdx is done in asm).

Anothers possibility is to port GSdx on opengl. I'm currently learning openGL but my free time is very small so do not expect anythings besides it would not be an easy task.
(09-21-2011, 10:34 PM)Koji Wrote: That's correct, SSE4a is not the same as SSE4.1. AMD processors currently only support SSE2 in PCSX2.

Ah, the proprietary tango, such as it is...

Quote:Hum I think it would be better to improve the compatibilty of the plugin. I think the difference of speed come from the cache management and maybe the math stuff (gsdx is done in asm).

Anothers possibility is to port GSdx on opengl. I'm currently learning openGL but my free time is very small so do not expect anythings besides it would not be an easy task.

Ok. I dropped the dev of ZZ ogl a PM with some questions to help me evaluate if it's something I think I have the knowledge and time to work on.

If GSdx is written in asm for directX, than porting to Linux for openGL sounds like just way too much fun for my simple soul! For the time being I'll wait to hear back from the ZZ ogl devHappy

Directx is directx not asm. It is the C part that contains lots of "asm".

Note there is also a zzogl-dev branch on pcsx2 repository. I think I need to sync it with the trunk, I do not remember what change we did in the past (remember only the conversion from nvidia-cg to glsl)
(09-21-2011, 09:31 PM)danieruz Wrote: I ran glxgears and averaged about 6000 fps. Don't know what this represents. Is glxgears a reliable way to measure graphic performance, particularly for PCSX2?
GlxGears is definitely not a benchmark tool, but you can still use it to check if your video drivers are working decently. Seems they do.
Benchmarking in Linux could be done with the Phoronix Test Suite for instance, which include Unigine Heaven too (can be downloaded separately).
You can compile pcsx2 and zzogl-pg with profile guided optimization. Gives a 5-10% performance increase with most games. I can post more detail if anyone is interested. I personally prefer to use the windows version under wine and an old version of gsdx (r1870 or earlier as newer versions don't work). This setup results in better performance which doesn't degrade with high internal resolution.