Logitech G25 wheel with PCSX2 (GT4)
Is there a way to use my logitech G25 steering wheel in Gran Turismo 4? I want to feel the force feedback as if I plugged my wheel into real playstation 2, is that possible? G25 is supported with ps2

Sponsored links

Good evening Xrider55. I just played GT4 for the first and have some comments regarding the wheel situation.

OK here's the deal....

You CAN INDEED use your Logitech G25 ffb wheel in GT4, but there is one big drawback....the game will think you're using a DualShock 2 controller. I have an ECCI 7000 ffb wheel, and although it's a real force feedback device like the G25, Gran Turismo 4 sees it as a DS2.

Why is this? Because the Lilypad plugin does *not* support any of the Logitech ffb wheels. I asked Chicken Liver about this issue several years ago, and he tried to explain that PS2 games that support analog steering will work just fine with any analog PC device, and works just as good as a wheel. I've tried to explain to him that that is simply not the case.

If a game like GT4 was designed to specifically support a certain kind of force feedback wheel, then it is not going to deliver those same wheel effects to a DS2. With a DS2 plugged in, the game is simply going to deliver rumble effects and that's it! Not the true force feedback effects you find when you plug your Logitech wheel into REAL PS2 and play GT4. If Lilypad supported either the Logitech GT or Logitech Driving Force Pro and actually delivered the unique code to the game telling it that that is what is plugged in, then the game would respond accordingly, and you'd have true support for the wheel. Then it wouldn't matter whether you have a DFP, a G25, G27, or even a non-Logitech ffb wheel like in my case. The game would tell LilyPad to deliver the correct ffb wheel behavior to the device, rather than normal dual shock 2 signals.

This is pretty much a deal breaker for me, but I already knew what I was getting into upon firing up GT4 earlier today. I suspected that I would not be satisfied with the results of having the game deliver regular dualshock vibration and analog signals to my ffb wheel, and I was right.

But....as unfortunate as this all is, I am hoping that one of the PCSX2 developers will take LilyPad by the horns and look into implementing Logitech FFB wheel drivers into the plugin. That would seriously make all the difference in the world. Seeing as how ChickenLiver has abandoned this plugin, I don't think it's too much to hope for. rama? Bostiman? Refraction? AHVI? Gabest?
Lilypad doesn't even support the full range of forcefeedback/rumble effects correctly for it to be used with a ffb wheel in the first place.

I also tried explaining this to him, but he appears to have his head in the sand.

if only plugins like HariKari pad plugin could be used with pcsx2, atleast since it supports the 2 sawtooth effects you can effectively set rumble to the correct motors. lilypad only supprts constant (Both motors) and ramp (starts off on small motor and moves to the large).
Excellent point Squall! I hadn't even thought of that. You're absolutely right. The constant and ramp effects only suffice, with driving games that didn't support any of the wheel on the real PS2. Ridge Racer V is one example...doesn't support any "true" ffb Logitech wheels, so it's not a big loss. However, OutRun 2SP Japanese version supports the Logitech wheels and delivers TRUE force feedback effects when using it on a real machine.

It's a real shame, but hopefully someone will pick up where CL left off.

Hey Squall, don't you do some software coding on the side? Why not take a crack at Lily and see what'cha can muster up for us Tongue
nothing of this level really.

i might try talking billiard into taking a look, his gcpad code has full implementation of the DiFFB types.
(07-12-2012, 11:18 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: nothing of this level really.

i might try talking billiard into taking a look, his gcpad code has full implementation of the DiFFB types.

Ahh so you know Billiard too? Cool. I've talked to him a couple times and told him about how I appreciate what he's done with controller compatibility for the GC via Dolphin. With that having been said, I'm afraid you are incorrect when you say his gc pad code has full implementation of the Different FFB types. Not true. I tried to explain the issue and he is aware of it but never got back to me. Please see this thread

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showt...?tid=12145

FFB doesn't work with wheels at all in the GC pad portion of Dolphin, unless you have one that uses Xinput. If you can reach Billiard and convince him to resolve *that* issue, as well as the one in LilyPad, I will buy you a bottle of sham pain!!! Laugh
Do you mean champaign?

Support for these wheels would be fantastic, it may be only a small thing in comparison to the whole emulator, but it's the one reason racing games were awesome on the ps2 and will go a long way to making the emulator truly a ps2
[Main Computer] - CPU: I7 950 @ 3.2Ghz | GPU: Twin Nvidea GTS 450's SLI'd | RAM: 8GB DDR3 - 1600MHz | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | EMU: PCSX2 v1.0 | GS: GSdx32-SSE4 | SPU2: SPU2-X | PAD LilyPad | CDVD ****
(07-12-2012, 11:28 PM)Isamu Wrote: Ahh so you know Billiard too? Cool. I've talked to him a couple times and told him about how I appreciate what he's done with controller compatibility for the GC via Dolphin. With that having been said, I'm afraid you are incorrect when you say his gc pad code has full implementation of the Different FFB types. Not true. I tried to explain the issue and he is aware of it but never got back to me. Please see this thread

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showt...?tid=12145

FFB doesn't work with wheels at all in the GC pad portion of Dolphin, unless you have one that uses Xinput. If you can reach Billiard and convince him to resolve *that* issue, as well as the one in LilyPad, I will buy you a bottle of sham pain!!! Laugh

Your thread over there reminded me, Lilypad is based on the failhack logitech drivers, so square through sawtooth down will work on logitech forcefeedback, but not on xbcd or others that work everywhere else.
I'm a gamer that played most of his life only racing games. (Sega Rally, Screamer 1&2, The Need for Speed 1,2,3,4.. Gran turismo 1,2,3 &4..Test Drive Unlimited..Live for Speed.. rFactor1&2..GTR legends, Race on, Race GRID, Colin mC Rae, WRC rally and more and more games..) So to be more dramatic about it. I just hate to give all my money to buy only a console a good steering wheel and granturismo 5 for 600€. So I tought I just buy myself a good CPU that would be able to play Granturismo 4. Cool I played it. But I really wished to use FF380 to play GT4. Well I tried everything that camed to mind. Playing with the mouse then emulate the mouse with the steering wheel. And stuff.. WELL I JUST WANT SOMEONE TO MAKE A PLUGIN FOR STEERING WHEELS PLEASEEEEEEEEEE

the only reason why playstation succed is cause granturismo was only for the ps
Quote: the only reason why playstation succed is cause granturismo was only for the ps

No delusions in this section of the forum please.