Looking for some help with Snowblind games (Dark Alliance 2) slowdown on nid-high end
I have a reasonably high end system:
  • Intel i5 4690k
  • GTX 970 (4GB)
  • 8GB DDR3 1600
  • SSD drive
I was using an older build and the game was fine, running constant 100% so long as the game was only at 2x native res. However I updated to build 1705, and now the game exhibits slowdowns to around 80% speed near glowing save points and some other areas, and the GS is pinning between 70-100%. EE is low, around 28-25%. Unfortunately I'm not sure the exact build I had originally. 1351 was on my storage, but I think the build I was using was slightly more recent. Modified date before I deleted the folder was 10/25/16.

I've tried at native and 2x res, and attempted EE and VU cycle stealing settings. MTVU is on, and all safe settings. CRC at full.

That's all the info I can think of in terms of the technical. Now for the question: Anyone know settings for this game to run at 100% constantly? My rig is powerful enough I would think. I don't know why Baldur's Gate: DA2 is pinning the GS at high levels when even Shadow of the Colossus at 4x native doesn't, and I'm able to run most games at 6x native with no issues. Is there a good setting or known good build for this game?

Thanks!

Edit - oh yeah, this is on the DX11 renderer as well. If another renderer works better I'd love to know.

Sponsored links

Try using archive invalidation. This game has a nasty habit of keeping every graphical thing in memory at once, It loads the entire level in one go and doesnt refresh it until you switch areas.
[Image: xckarn-5.png]
(12-12-2016, 06:58 AM)rikimaruaxu Wrote: Try using archive invalidation. This game has a nasty habit of keeping every graphical thing in memory at once, It loads the entire level in one go and doesnt refresh it until you switch areas.

How do I set that? Is it under the HW hacks?

Also, in good news, switching to the OpenGL renderer seems to have gotten it running well. I can even run 100% at 3x native resolution now, though I still peg the GS above 80% and get slowdowns if I go up to 4x native.
It is indeed in Hw hacks. And cool. Tho that game doesn't get a huge boost in quality after 2x The textures aren't exactly pretty anyway.
[Image: xckarn-5.png]
Pretty sure its the texture invalidation hack you are looking for. Also tick 8bit textures as it helps a lot with the Snowblind games.