Low CPU and GPU usage
I'm wanting to play my PS2 games on my laptop, for a bit of portability, like having a portable PS2. I didn't expect my games to run well, since I have a crappy AMD A6, with is just a 2 GHz quad core and just R4 graphics. Only thing I didn't expect is that the CPU runs at 50% usage and GPU runs at around 60% GPU usage, even when using hardware rendering, and I'm only running at around 35% speed with 20 fps. With the game running that bad, I would expect both of those to be up at 90%. No matter the settings I run the game at, it seems to always have the problem of not using all of the CPU or GPU. It is using all cores though. Is this normal or is there something I can change to get it to use all the CPU and GPU? Or maybe it's even because I use DDR3 RAM, and maybe it's not fast enough for the emulator.

I got this while testing Burnout 3 Takedown. I tried running GTA 3 but it couldn't get passed the first loading screen.

Sponsored links

pcsx2 uses 3 cores with mtvu speedhack and relies more on STR per core.
Your GPU will be manly used for upscaling
your RAM won't change anything

what do the ee% and GS % say when it's slow ?
did you set iwndows power plan to performance mode ?

Please post the contents of the emulog.txt file after the problem occurs. The file can be found in "My Documents\PCSX2\logs" for the installer version or in "PCSX2\logs" for the portable/binary version.

Please make sure to enclose your emulog in code tags like so (remove the empty space on the closing code tag!):
[code]
Pasted emulog goes here
[ /code]
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
EE% Is around 80-90%, sometimes going up to 95% and sometimes going down to 70%. It mostly stays up at 90-95% while playing videos. GS% is around 50%, sometimes going up to 60% or even going down to 30% sometimes.

I checked if it is in high performance mode and it was. I never normally change it from that.

Is there anything specific to copy from the log file? The problem basically happens from when it first plays a game.

Also, this isn't related to the emulation itself, but is it possible to keep the disc spinning somehow? The disc loves to stop spinning after it hasn't been read for a bit and then has to spin up again, making the game freeze for a few seconds sometimes.
Hm. your CPU is clearly struggling.
Tried disabling AMD cool n' quiet in the bios ?
the full emulog file will be ok.
we recommend you make an iso out of your DVD (use www.imgburn.com to do so) to reduce loading/spinning times
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go