Low FPS Fatal Frame 3 but low cpu/gpu usage
So I have been able to run essentially every game I own near-perfectly at 4x native resolution (DX11) with the recommended speedhacks, but Fatal Frame 3 has been giving me issues. The cpu usage never goes above 40% even with MTVU and the gpu usage never goes above 12%, but I am getting low (35-ish) FPS in the opening part of the game.

Any ideas why this could be happening?

Specs (in case you were wondering):
i7 @ 2.3 GHz (with Turbo Boost enabled up to 3.3)
nVidia GTX 660m 2GB DDR5 RAM
16GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

As you can see, I rarely have problems running anything. Why this weird slowdown with Fatal Frame 3?

Sponsored links

Try playing around with the EE and VU sliders in the speedhacks options. It may be a config problem rather than specs. Maybe you up scaled too much OR you enabled anti-aliasing? Set your laptop to high performance.
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
What do the ee% and gs% say when you get slodowns ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
however, this game is unplayable in hardware mode, there's a bug in the camera mode.
Use software mode
I5 - 2320 @ 3,0 Ghz - 8 GbyteDDR2 1333 Mhz - Geforce 8800 GTS 512 Mbyte - Win 7x64 - Samsung 32" TV HD-Ready
Uomo saggio il cielo aiuta.
use DX11 native resolution(cost this is ps2 Original ScreenSize(native))

any upscaling cost moderate to huge speed hit!!! take note regardless how powerful your gpu!!!
I don't think 660m can handle 4x in the opening, probably not even 3x. Stick with 2x until the black/white effect is gone
I only get like 12% GPU (gs) usage... maybe 40% max cpu (ee) usage. Just seems weird.
That just means the game isn't completely compatible yet with the settings you're using. If you have a PS2 game running smoothly it doesn't mean every PS2 game emulated runs as smooth.

Try using lower settings and work your way up to it's limit. (I.E. start with native resolution, then upscale/enhance settings bit by bit)
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 Quad Core @ 3.6GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
you can be at 12% gs load but 100% gpu load Smile iirc those percentages only help you diagnose a cpu bottleneck. to see gpu load run msi afterburner