Low GPU Activity Question - Ati radeon sapphire 3870
My video card is reporting 15 to 25 percent GPU activity

Persona 4, latest public beta 1407 or whatever the number is

My question is...............

isn't the Emulator supposed to run the game from BOTH the Processor and the Graphics card?

or is it supposed to mostly run from the processo? was the emulator made/done this way by design? - to partially, non existent - half ass use the graphic card?

or is my video carded messed up to begin with, i have had low GPU Activity problems in the past, but i fixed that problem months ago

i have 2.0 amd athlon dual core, 2 gigs of ram

i can run the game at 45 to 60 fps with the speed hack options on or the bar on fulll

Sponsored links

Console emulation has ALWAYS relied heavily on the processor and minimally on the graphics card. It's just the way things end up having to be coded for the most part.

It's why the recommended system requirements are a 3.0 GHZ or more dual core, with only like...an 8600GT graphics card.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(07-19-2009, 02:47 AM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: Console emulation has ALWAYS relied heavily on the processor and minimally on the graphics card. It's just the way things end up having to be coded for the most part.

It's why the recommended system requirements are a 3.0 GHZ or more dual core, with only like...an 8600GT graphics card.

if they made a side option im sure the graphic's card could help take the load off the processor

but what about tri or quadcores or does the emulator only support dual core atm?
GPUs are not very flexible "co-processors." The PS2's texture and lighting unit was an SIMD-style chip called the VU1, which is a lot more similar to the SSE unit in your CPU than anything your GPU offers, so using SSE yields much faster, better, and more accurate results. Worse yet, many PS2 games use what's called post-processing -- a technique of using core CPU processing power to apply special effects to rendered scenes. Persona 4 is one of these games. There is no way anyone can translate the game's software post-processing effect into GPU-accelerated hardware processing. That would, in fact, be the equivalent of recoding the game from scratch for native PC execution. Wink

For many games PCSX2 does in fact make fairly heavy use of the GPU, primarily through clever use of shaders. Persona 4 happens to be one which relies more heavily on the CPU, and there's not too much we can do about it, except optimize the CPU code (which we're always working on anyway).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
You could increase the D3D internal resolution in GSdx to like 4096x4096 or higher to make it use more GPU Tongue

There's some games that will use the GPU more, I've seen persona 4 be gpu bottlenecked only in the "going in the tv" animation using high internal resolution and in some battles as well but nothing great.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(07-19-2009, 04:35 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: You could increase the D3D internal resolution in GSdx to like 4096x4096 or higher to make it use more GPU Tongue

There's some games that will use the GPU more, I've seen persona 4 be gpu bottlenecked only in the "going in the tv" animation using high internal resolution and in some battles as well but nothing great.

yeah your right about it using core, now that i think about it, Consoles dont really have graphics cards do they =P, well maybe someday in the future, a breakthrough in pcsx2, will allow even more stable 60 fps in the future

i just jacked up my speed, i guess i forgot to overclock my cpu all these years

anyway its up from 2.01g to 2.45ish, dual core amd athlon xp

i went from running 45% frames per second to 70-80%, and 100% like at the house

Playing Persona 4 Does feel like processor recommendation that people have been saying

i could tell from playing the first 1 or 2 hours that this game needs to be atleast run on

Dual core 3.0 + processors

but i wonder still, if the Emulator works with tri and quad cores, eww the 60 fps, constant 60 fps, i wanna get a new computer now damit......Tongue
i finished persona 4 on PCSX2, fps never dropped under 100%
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
(07-19-2009, 06:59 AM)nomed44 Wrote:
(07-19-2009, 04:35 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: You could increase the D3D internal resolution in GSdx to like 4096x4096 or higher to make it use more GPU Tongue

yeah your right about it using core, now that i think about it, Consoles dont really have graphics cards do they =P, well maybe someday in the future, a breakthrough in pcsx2, will allow even more stable 60 fps in the future

Playing Persona 4 Does feel like processor recommendation that people have been saying

i could tell from playing the first 1 or 2 hours that this game needs to be atleast run on

but i wonder still, if the Emulator works with tri and quad cores, eww the 60 fps, constant 60 fps, i wanna get a new computer now damit......Tongue
Modern consoles actually do have dedicated graphics chips. They are custom-built for the console and may not always behave in a fashion that a PC would recognise as a GPU, being more heavily integrated into the overall architecture.
(07-19-2009, 03:26 PM)Amberion Wrote:
(07-19-2009, 06:59 AM)nomed44 Wrote:

Modern consoles actually do have dedicated graphics chips. They are custom-built for the console and may not always behave in a fashion that a PC would recognise as a GPU, being more heavily integrated into the overall architecture.

If you could compare apples to apples...a PS3 would have a GPU equivalent to maybe a X800 coupled up that incredible CPU. Consoles are made for one platform to be versitile enough to handle many different types of graphics in games. In the PC gaming world it is the opposite...the software(game) must be versitile enough to work with all the different hardware. APIs make this a lot easier, though some times still a little difficult.

Anyways...CPUs and FPUs seems to be the way of the console. This is why software modes have so much more compatability too.

Wildarms 3 uses the GPU a decent amount. I will see activity near 100% most of the time. It even spills over into my crossfired GPU which will be 20-60% though I am not sure if it really is processing anything useful. Since I'll get the same frame rates with crossfire disabled.
E8500 @ 4.1GHz
4GB memory
HD4850 512MB in crossfire (Crossfire does work with PCSX2)
Running Vista 64