Low Power Setup for PCSX2
Ok, so I live in a completely off-grid home and am super careful about electricity consumption. My current setup is a docked baytrail tablet hooked up to a 19" monitor (kept on low brightness), the total computer/monitor/drives setup uses about 25w of power. I can play older games, watch movies/youtube and do all my online stuff fine. I have electricity to spare, but would like to keep the electricity consumption as low as possible. But now I want to play PCSX2 and Dolphin. I've been reading up on this site and comparing systems, and want some advice. Obviously, my tablet (and my older laptops that I own) are insufficient; I've been looking at an i7-5557U NUC (link below). I want to be able to play almost every game at full speed, but not necessarily the most demanding games. Does anyone have any suggestions (besides the one I mentioned) on low power [consumption] systems that can reasonably handle PCSX2? 

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5...B00V4A5ETW

Sponsored links

unfortunately PCSX2 and Dolphin need power, it's rare that performance and low power come in the same package so it will be very difficult to fulfil your requirements.

The box you posted might be okay, it has a very good single thread rating and the GPU isn't bad at all for an onboard one.

To be honest that is probably the best you're gonna get for the power consumption.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

The CPU isn't too bad but you still can't play all PS2 games with fullspeed on that.
Not to mention that it got integrated graphics and there are still GPU demanding games as well that slow down a lot on weaker GPUs.

nevertheless, its a tiny PC, not meant for gaming but still capable of running good optimized games at decent framerates.
I bet it can run Final Fantasy X,XII and Kingdom Hearts 1+2 at full speed most of the time.

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

The only problem I see with it is the thermals. In such a small package, throttle does seem like an issue. Other than that, it's STP is comparable to my i5 4440.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Probably, but considering it already got an efficient broadwell cpu... 

If there is any throttling I wouldn't hesitate to mod and improve the cooling like extending the heatsink, combining it with the case to absorb more heat, installing an additional fan on the back or underneath.

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. Still, does anyone know of any other low power machines (below 100 watts excluding monitor) capable of decent PS2 emulation. Or laptops?
There is no such thing as a low powered machine which will run PS2 emulation well.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]