Low frame rate due to improper GPU connection to the MB
Ive been searching this forum for a solution for the past week, I was having a very poor performance, limited to around 40fps on most games, speeding up on short view distance and becomming near terrible when the view distance increased.

Tried a lot of stuff: overclocking the CPU (Phenom II x2 3.3), overclocking the GPU, overclocking RAM, and nothing did much, except raising the FSB of the system, which you cant really push much further from stock.

On the emulator, I was getting low readings both on EE and GS threads (around 50%), and on the Catalyst control center it said GPU was at 100% all the time. I suspected it was the GPU that was bottlenecking the emulator, but it seemed strange since I saw people playing games full speed with the exact same video card (Radeon HD 5850).

Comparing the speed on the GPU benchmark to the results reported for this GPU, I noticed I was getting 60 fps against nearly 200 reported there. Still with low EE and GS usage and 100% gpu.

Reinstalling drivers improved things a bit, but still 100 fps bellow the reported there and still low EE and GS with 100% GPU.

So I downloaded GPU-z, and found out that the connection between GPU and MB was at PCI-e x1 instead of x16. With some search, I found out that a improper connection could cause it. Openned the case, cleaned up the connection and fixed, now the bottleneck is the CPU as it should be, and games are playing at very reasonable speeds (with some overclocking).

Hope it helps someone else, I almost got myself a new GPU due to this, and probably the problem would go away replacing the board since I would probably clean it up to install the new GPU. Also worth noticing that other 3d games designed for PC were running just fine, with a few slowdowns on some points but still playable (some at full speed).

Sponsored links

good info to keep around my comment on the situation is. start looking at a new cpu
Windows 10
Intel 5930k 4.2ghz/core
32 GBs of 2400MHz DDR4
AMD PoweColor 390X (GPUs are expensive or this would be in crossfire)