MGS2: SOL Crash
At first I got Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty started, but was in slow motion. I never tried to play it because I wanted to fix the slow motion first. I fixed this by changing Renderer in GSdx Plugin settings from OpenGL (Software) to OpenGL (Hardware) (Experimental).

Now all is fine, until I start a new game. When starting a new game and selecting/accepting all options needed to start the game, it crashes.
All PCSX2 settings are default. Except for the Renderer.

I saved the log file (incl. system specs). See attachement.

Attached Files
.txt   log.txt (Size: 1,57 KB / Downloads: 230)

Sponsored links

Hello. What distro are you using? 32 or 64 bit? Proprietary Nvidia drivers (not mesa) being used? It looks like you are using the "stable" PCSX2 version from the main webpage, correct?

I seem to remember a similar crash message from a few months back. This was fixed in latest SVN and PPA release. So the "stable" version from the PCSX2 homepage is anything but stable, ironically.

Also, using HW rendered can provoke a crash too, as it is still experimental. I personally get weird graphical errors in HW mode. For the most part, unless you are lucky it's SW mode only that works consistenly. Also, ZZogl is a little bit faster but it's not at cooperative with games as GSdx is. However, it's still worth a try.
Quote:What distro are you using? 32 or 64 bit?

32 bit OS.

Quote:Proprietary Nvidia drivers (not mesa) being used?

"NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library from nvidia-current (proprietary, tested)"

When using the open source Nouveau drivers, PCSX2 freezes when opening the game.

Quote: It looks like you are using the "stable" PCSX2 version from the main webpage, correct?

I downloaded the latest PCSX2 version from the official webpage. I'm guessing this is the stable version?

Quote:Also, ZZogl is a little bit faster but it's not at cooperative with games as GSdx is. However, it's still worth a try.

Seems to freeze on game startup. Same as Nouveau drivers on the GSdx plugin.

Running on OpenGL (Software) has the same crash, and it is in slow motion.
Try the latest SVN. If you have an Ubuntu based distro you can also use the PPA.
Aren't these for Windows? I'm unfamiliar with SVN.
SVN is the repository where the source is held. Everything in Linux seems to be done the hard way, this is no exception. Go to this website.

http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/source/checkout

Open a terminal and cd (change directory) to the pcsx2-read-only directory. Make sure you have all the dependencies needed, especially cmake. Type ./build.sh --release . The compiled new release will be in the "bin" subdirectory.

Or if you want something easier, and if you are using a distro that similar to Ubuntu (APT package manager based), then install the PPA. Open a terminal.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gregory-hainaut/pcsx2.official.ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install pcsx2-unstable

Then type pcsx2 in your terminal to play!

Either way you will have a fixed version of PCSX2 Linux, as this error was from a few moths ago. I hope this helps.
Removed and installed the unstable version. Works now.
New problems arise, bad pixels, unplayable.

Topic closed I guess. Thanks for your help!