MGS2 Substance - microVU0 error
Game: Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (CRC: C539049D, SLUS-20554)
PCSX2 Revision: 1.5.0 (dev 1988-gcf131b5)
Settings:

GSdx:
  • GSdx 1.1.0 AVX2
  • Renderer: Direct3D11 (Hardware)
  • Internal Resolution: 3x
  • Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
  • Mipmapping: Basic
  • CRC Hack Level: Full
  • Texture Filtering: Bilinear (PS2)

Speedhacks:
  • EE Cyclerate: 0 (and -1 to try and boost the FPS while having Stealth equipped).
  • VU Cycle Stealing: 0
  • Enable INTC Spin Detection
  • Enable Wait Loop Detection
  • mVU Flag Hack
  • MTVU

Decided to try this game again, and I noticed my console window is displaying the following error multiple times:

Code:
microVU0 Warning: Branch, Branch, Branch! [05c8]

It doesn't seem to affect anything in-game from what I can tell, as there are no crashes or whatever. So what could the effect (and cause) of this error be?

This happens right at the start of the game btw, for those who may want to try and reproduce it. (during the Tanker part). Might happen in later areas too, but have yet to get there.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)

Sponsored links

It shouldn't be an error anymore, I think it is being handled correctly, it was just a really weird sequence of events which is totally illegal on the VU's Tongue

Must have got missed/left when we were getting rid of the error messages or downgrading them to warnings.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Ahh I see. Well no big deal then.

Too bad the game still doesn't run at a stable 60 FPS for me sadly. The moment I try to use Stealth, it gets a massive drop in frames. Even with this GPU and CPU I can't get it above 40~45 FPS when that happens lol. #killergame. Guess I'll just have to play without Stealth, as that's the only way to retain 60 FPS. Tongue
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
Yeah, you might be ok if you overclock that overclockable CPU of yours Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Have you tried playing @ native without any AA/enhancements with different speedhacks? EE cycle rate at 0 and VU stealing maybe.
In regards to the slowness, personally I think it's an issue with how the game (PCSX2) handles stealth somehow. The slowdowns literally only occur when the Stealth armor is equipped. (When you see that optic 'Predator-style' camouflage effect). It doesn't matter what resolution I use, the moment it's equipped, FPS takes a dip.
Just wondering, does this occur in sons of liberty aswell? It might be coded just differently even if its almost the same game.

Theres a pc version of substance, the version i played on a 9600xt/amd 2100 back in 2003 with no slowdowns. If you can use your controller with that game (assume you have one, otherwise why pcsx2 Tongue)
There should be a way to play it in whatever res/wudescreen.
I had this issue too with the pal original sons of liberty release.
The game randomly freezed after 20 minutes of gameplay. No problems with the old superVU compiler.